ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Board/The Secret to Beating Clemson

scartiger

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2010
The secret to beating Clemson........

1. Dphillips2Walk-on
    We have just got to play our best game in the last four years to win this game, they are just that good to be honest folks. No matter how much we want to try too, we just simply can’t out scheme their talent. They have too many great players. Our guys just have to come to play and beat the man in front of them/execute the game plan. This is going to be a battle for us to win no matter how we slice it. Now to contradict everything I just said, this is what I would do if I was the D-Coordinator for us lol!

My plan would be make Trevor Lawrence run the ball as much as possible so that we could get a chance to rough him up and disrupt his rhythm. I noticed that he gets rattled fairly easy and if you can keep him speed up, he starts to take chances on throws he shouldn’t. Our front four doesn’t need to have a bunch of sacks but Trevor has to be at the very least uncomfortable. I would focus on both of their great WRs and great RB. Zone/Bracket them to death protecting our DBs with Proctor as the second high safety/5th DB and only rush 4-5 (One LB Blitz) with the 5th being Browning. Chase is going to have to play like Superman in order for us to have a chance to win this game. I think our DBs tackle well enough to stop the big runs because Etienne is a speed/bounce out runner. We need as much speed on the field as possible. I have come to the conclusion that like Wade, we cannot keep Proctor off the field any longer. He is just to talented. Especially the way our CBs tend flip to Safety at any given time in our formations. As far as LB, I would start Werner and Harrison and mix in Browning for blitzing. I Love Tuf but if I’m Clemson, the second I see him (Tuf) then I’m running RB Wheel routes/check downs with Etienne to the death of me. This is not a knock on Tuf but just the reality of our opponent. Dabo will take advantage. Just like Browning needs to be only brought in to blitz or watch RBs right now as he is still growing in the position. He is getting better don’t get me wrong but this game is too big. Just my thoughts.... any others?

1 Today at 5:35 AM

lael and SilverBuck-88 like this.

2. Buck_at_BorderAll-conference
    they will have to play their best game to beat us also id say.

2 Today at 6:15 AM

Tiffin Buckeye, dozerbuck, Dougherty1917 and 8 others like this.

3. HunterdonBuckFreshman
    I’m surprised at the fear of Clemson.. 2016 hangover? This team is beatable. They have a great offense led by Lawrence, Etienne and the WR’s. But if we ever had DB’s to match them this is the year. Forget 2016-that entire offensive staff was purged after that game. Believe in Day, he is an elite play caller.

Go Bucks!

3 Today at 6:25 AM

Tiffin Buckeye, PilotBuckeye, palgup and 6 others like this.

4. NewdayBuckeyeJunior
    From opening kick to final whistle, play with focus, intensity and without penalty’s and the Buckeyes win...
    Our talent isn’t much different from theirs.
    I like our secondary a lot, and think they will keep in step with Clemsons Receivers..
    This game will come down to who makes fewer mistakes...... IOW- don’t get any stupid PF flags...

4 Today at 6:27 AM

texanbuckeye likes this.

5. Tressel333All-conference

We have just got to play our best game in the last four years to win this game, they are just that good to be honest folks. No matter how much we want to try too, we just simply can’t out scheme their talent. They have too many great players. Our guys just have to come to play and beat the man in front of them/execute the game plan. This is going to be a battle for us to win no matter how we slice it. Now to contradict everything I just said, this is what I would do if I was the D-Coordinator for us lol!

My plan would be make Trevor Lawrence run the ball as much as possible so that we could get a chance to rough him up and disrupt his rhythm. I noticed that he gets rattled fairly easy and if you can keep him speed up, he starts to take chances on throws he shouldn’t. Our front four doesn’t need to have a bunch of sacks but Trevor has to be at the very least uncomfortable. I would focus on both of their great WRs and great RB. Zone/Bracket them to death protecting our DBs with Proctor as the second high safety/5th DB and only rush 4-5 (One LB Blitz) with the 5th being Browning. Chase is going to have to play like Superman in order for us to have a chance to win this game. I think our DBs tackle well enough to stop the big runs because Etienne is a speed/bounce out runner. We need as much speed on the field as possible. I have come to the conclusion that like Wade, we cannot keep Proctor off the field any longer. He is just to talented. Especially the way our CBs tend flip to Safety at any given time in our formations. As far as LB, I would start Werner and Harrison and mix in Browning for blitzing. I Love Tuf but if I’m Clemson, the second I see him (Tuf) then I’m running RB Wheel routes/check downs with Etienne to the death of me. This is not a knock on Tuf but just the reality of our opponent. Dabo will take advantage. Just like Browning needs to be only brought in to blitz or watch RBs right now as he is still growing in the position. He is getting better don’t get me wrong but this game is too big. Just my thoughts.... any others?
    I disagree with your assessment of Clemson. This is not the SAME CLEMSON team of old. Gone are Lawrence, Wilkins and others from that fierce D-line. The defense is NOT EVEN close as to where they were the past few years. Clemson is a good team don't get me wrong, but lets not act like OSU must play a perfect game. From both sides of the ball, I would give a pretty good edge to OSU. The previous Clemson teams of the past were MUCH MORE talented than this one. I think you're giving Clemson a little bit too much credit. Can't confuse the past teams to this, I just don't see any comparison. We shall see what happens.

5 Today at 6:38 AM

Steen1111 and Mike11 like this.

6. SilverBuck-88Senior
    Would rather everyone take the approach Clemson is a very very tough hill to climb than self dilute ourselves into thinking they are overrated then act puzzled when or if we lose.

This is a Conference Champion, 28 wins including Bama and playoffs.
    Great recruiting talent, great coaching.

Anyone who watches actual football instead of practicing being message board Ohio State cheerleading police knows this is a great challenge and Clemson deserves respect as a opponent. They are not a fluke. They are perennial contenders in the Playoffs ACC schedule or not.

So it’s not Clemson fear, or fetal position. It’s respecting your opponent, giving credit where and when it due and not acting like Ohio State is the only great team this year.

It’s gonna take hard work, and maybe a little luck to win this game. Dabo has had Ohio State’s number.. so fear no realistic respect... yes.

But , this is a different Buckeye offense that can through down field. Defensive backfield for Ohio St is about even. 31 points wasn’t the problem last game. It was ZERO points that was the problem. “3 and out” was the problem, our offense is more complete and should be able to run.

Day can’t waste the 1st half analyzing Clemson. They run Three Defenses at any given time.
    Day has to have a great plan and start fast!!!!

Not fear of Clemson , just a realistic respect for a great program.

This Buckeyes team can do it if they have the right confidence, coaching and a little luck( from the football gods),it never hurts.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News