ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss - Players kneel during National Anthem

Anybody know what a “confederate rally” is? Would be nice to have more context. Are we talking a bunch of racist rednecks or we talking like a sons of confederate veterans service?

Either way, who cares if they kneel? It’s their choice, it’s their expression. And honestly it’s working bc here we are in a message board that has nothing whatsoever to do with ole miss and we’re talking about it.
A confederate rally is a bunch of old white people who hate that kids get participation trophies, but pitch a fit when their racist participation trophies get torn down.

You mentioned the " respect" of the "youth of today" , yet coveniently left out the fact that it wasn't the youth leading a pro confederate rally. Talk about respect...

I don't consider the people at that rally people. And I spend my entire day, 5 days a week- trying to not let sick adults corrupt the minds of our youth and teach them about virtues such as respect. Using a Klan rally as a benchmark for acceptable societal practice is like using Trump as an example of a good President. Don't lower your standards to the lowest common denominator. Those young men on that floor only empowered those at the meeting by kneeling.....plus the disrespected OUR flag. Gross misjudgment on their part.

Because being disrespectful is cool nowadays and someone has to perpetuate the hate. Why not simply be above it? Whem you kneel, you are being disrespectful to every American. Take the shit up with the offending party.....instead of insinuating every white dude is a card carrying member of the Klan
How do you propose they “take the shit up with the offending party?” I’m assuming that wouldn’t be peaceful would it? Isn’t that what everyone says to do though? Peaceful protest. That is until that peaceful protest isn’t in line with someone’s beliefs. Then they tell them to peaceful protest some other place. And then some other place. And then some other place. And then some other place.

Yes both are despicable. White supremacists vs people who kneeled bc they don’t like white supremacists.

They can justify it all they want/however they want....its disrespectful- and not to the group they are protesting

I don't consider the people at that rally people. And I spend my entire day, 5 days a week- trying to not let sick adults corrupt the minds of our youth and teach them about virtues such as respect. Using a Klan rally as a benchmark for acceptable societal practice is like using Trump as an example of a good President. Don't lower your standards to the lowest common denominator. Those young men on that floor only empowered those at the meeting by kneeling.....plus the disrespected OUR flag. Gross misjudgment on their part.

Of course you didn't consider the people at the rally. Again, how convenient of you

How do you propose they “take the shit up with the offending party?” I’m assuming that wouldn’t be peaceful would it? Isn’t that what everyone says to do though? Peaceful protest. That is until that peaceful protest isn’t in line with someone’s beliefs. Then they tell them to peaceful protest some other place. And then some other place. And then some other place. And then some other place.

What I would like for them to do is rise above the fray. Don't let a bunch of sick old honkeys get to you. Pray for them and be glad you weren't raised that way.

They can justify it all they want/however they want....its disrespectful- and not to the group they are protesting
I mean you can qualify your true feelings how you want but it sounds very much like the “very good people on both sides” statement. Ones “disrespectful”. The other is hatred for a race that isn’t white. They aren’t equal. Don’t try to act like they are.

I mean you can qualify your true feelings how you want but it sounds very much like the “very good people on both sides” statement. Ones “disrespectful”. The other is hatred for a race that isn’t white. They aren’t equal. Don’t try to act like they are.

This

Of course you didn't consider the people at the rally. Again, how convenient of you

Read it again bro. Try harder this time.

I'll translate: they are not people. They are sick animals.

Ok. Neither of you can read. I'm done

You attempting to equate the two: try harder next time, "bro"

I'm not equating shit. The rally is deplorable and run by a group of sick individuals.

These kids are not sick and should be above responding to those happenings.

I'm not comparing kneeling vs a Klan rally. But keep baiting, you do it well

I'm not equating shit. The rally is deplorable and run by a group of sick individuals.

These kids are not sick and should be above responding to those happenings.

I'm not comparing kneeling vs a Klan rally. But keep baiting, you do it well

Keep equating the two. You do it well.

I don’t. That’s kind of my point though. It has absolutely nothing to do with a confederate rally. It just makes no sense. If you want to get the point across you don’t approve of the rally, then go to it and protest. Or, have a protest of your own that gets your point across clearly, that doesn’t affect something else in a negative way that has no connection, like kneeling at your basketball game. That’s just being rude and disrespectful. I have absolutely no respect for that. Go protest or hold a press conference. Those players could do that easily and be heard. Simple and to the point. I’d have respect for that.
The point of a protest is to bring awareness and hopefully change to something, is not? The fact that we are even aware of this seems to have accomplished that goal. Had they gone to the rally and protested, the only way would have known about it is if something non-peaceful happened, which obviously should be avoided at all costs.

Also, how was the basketball game affected? How is kneeling any more disrespectful than half of the things Americans do with the American flag every single day?

People disrespect the flag every single day and no one has a problem with it. The people who claim to be angry about kneeling seem to be the people that disrespect it the most.

Have to say it is another brilliant demonstration of understanding civics. There's a Confederate rally so they kneel in protest of the nation that sent young men to die to defeat said Confederacy. Such clever young men. They sure made their point!

Last edited:
Prove me wrong. People disrespect the flag every single day, and if you do not understand why then you have little understanding of the codes regarding disrespecting the flag and anthem..

Most of those are not blatant and unintended. I'm sure not many know ALL of the proper procedures.....semantics.

Most of those are not blatant and unintended. I'm sure not many know ALL of the proper procedures.....semantics.
But I assume you educate them on their transgressions, no?

And I'm sure you've reached out to the Clemson athletic department about their disrepect to the flag every football, basketball, and baseball game. Right?

I remember people being much less angry when the good guys took over the federal lands armed. If you remember that thread it came along with reasons why they had a point and everything. Some of you would feel much better if you admitted you just don't give a damn about black folks problems. Get it off your chest. It's actually ok.

And for the folks that were asleep during civics class..... Protest is not about protesting the event you're at. It's about doing something as noticeable as possible, at, GET THIS, the most POPULAR time, to gain attention to an issue. Doing it quietly in the middle of the night not bothering anyone ain't quite it. Dumping all the tea in the harbor is a better idea. Made a lot of people angry but also got a lot of attention and talking.

Peaceful protest is all I ask. It seems with the history of this country and how most of our progress came this way, we CITIZENS should all respect others right to protest. I also defend the Confederates right to protest.

No- it's a bunch of backwoods senior citizens with an obvious sickness and a hatred that I cannot fathom.....both sides are despicable for varying reasons.

Both sides are despicable? Honoring a tradition and practice that is unique to this country when practiced correctly is despicable? Most of the advances came through this despicable practice. Glad that you think at least one side is despicable tho. I don't think the Confederates are despicable for their protest tho. It's a American right. I'm assuming they are all American. I disagree with the things they are honoring but I don't know each ones individual reasons. I'm guessing some are genuine and maybe some are based in hate.

As a Ret. Combat Marine this stuff really affends me. Ive worked and volunteer in the inner city schools. Im a high school asst head coach and D coordinator. Also coach other sports and volunteer year around as a strength coach. I also coach semi pro as a D coordinator. All that to be said there are many colors and cultures in the game of football And other sports. The greatest thing about athletics in that its similar to the military cause you have a group of people from all diffrent walks of life with diffrent cultures and nationalities coming together for a Goal and working to accomplish said goal. When i join a team I dont ask racial or devisive queations before. NO it doesnt MATTER. Kneeling agianst a flag doesnt make since. It affends way to many so the topic is now changed. Why not organize a protest. To bring people together. I also BELIEVE the monuments should Stay cause once you erase history your bound to repeat yourselves. Just a thought erasing history doesnt make since. But also to kneel agianst the strongest representation of the right to protest to me is pointless. The athletes have a voice. I repect that 100% but whats the point of doing something that gets a negative reaction when there are far better ways to get there point ACROSS.

You are all over the place with all due respect.

You do all that in the inner city yet you still don't get it. You may be arguably worse than those that have honestly never stepped foot in an underserved community.

No one protests AGAINST the flag. NO ONE IS PROTESTING AGAINST THE FLAG. They are using the attention that the flag gets to gain attention. Not sure how so many people miss this. In America it will get you the most attention especially when you believe the item in question is something to send a message to the entire nation.

And the last thing. Monuments are for honoring the HONORABLE. When you decide that the person is no longer to be honored you can remove whatever you want. Germany got rid of any monuments, school names, street names, etc to those in Nazi Germany. I somehow learned about all of it. Surprisingly history wasn't erased. It's an honor to have a statue but when it's deemed you no longer deserve it then you lost it.

If your school had pictures and monuments of the Smollett character everywhere because he waswa famous graduate and you decided you didn't want that liar everywhere I'm sure you'd be on board with removing his monuments. Times change. Murder is something that was once acceptable that no longer in the eyes of some. Apparently not all tho.

Both sides are despicable? Honoring a tradition and practice that is unique to this country when practiced correctly is despicable? Most of the advances came through this despicable practice. Glad that you think at least one side is despicable tho. I don't think the Confederates are despicable for their protest tho. It's a American right. I'm assuming they are all American. I disagree with the things they are honoring but I don't know each ones individual reasons. I'm guessing some are genuine and maybe some are based in hate.

Ok- so 1 group is despicable.

The players just did (in my opinion) a despicable act.

Like I said - varying reasons. Obviously the players themselves are not despicable

Oh boy, they really showed those Confederates. This will definitely go a long way in stopping racism and bigotry. Way to go guys!

It is interesting. I had a a retired cop tell me that he's glad he's retired because the kneeling stuff infuriates him and how these idiots have no respect for anyone.

Now, obviously that guy is probably racist, but those are the people who the kneelers are trying to reach. I think they're actually causing many cops to have less respect for them because "my daddy fought in WW2" and these kneelers are pissing on my dad's grave.

As a reasonable person, I couldn't care less and completely understand the protest.
But your target audience aren't reasonable people.

This is so stupid and petty. What are they protesting? All they did was give the Confederate rally or KKK or whatever those people are that much more recognition.

I just wish the people who kneeled during our National Anthem would move to another country to give it a shot. Maybe they would love life elsewhere and never wish to come back to America. I highly doubt it.

More than likely, if they lived in another country for a year plus they would realize how fortunate we are to live in such a great country. They would the stand up straight, look into our flag with the love and passion it deserves.

How many people threatened to leave our country if Trump won the election? How many did? Our population isn’t growing yearly because it’s a terrible place. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: OwnThisState2
Just because they aren’t protesting against the flag doesn’t mean it’s not disrespectful to some people. Yea, it def gets attention but so would sitting in the middle of the court during the game and calling it protesting. There are better more constructive ways to go about it while getting everyone on board with your cause...we all just need to be a little bit smarter and less impulsive to get our point across.

You are all over the place with all due respect.

You do all that in the inner city yet you still don't get it. You may be arguably worse than those that have honestly never stepped foot in an underserved community.

No one protests AGAINST the flag. NO ONE IS PROTESTING AGAINST THE FLAG. They are using the attention that the flag gets to gain attention. Not sure how so many people miss this. In America it will get you the most attention especially when you believe the item in question is something to send a message to the entire nation.

And the last thing. Monuments are for honoring the HONORABLE. When you decide that the person is no longer to be honored you can remove whatever you want. Germany got rid of any monuments, school names, street names, etc to those in Nazi Germany. I somehow learned about all of it. Surprisingly history wasn't erased. It's an honor to have a statue but when it's deemed you no longer deserve it then you lost it.

If your school had pictures and monuments of the Smollett character everywhere because he waswa famous graduate and you decided you didn't want that liar everywhere I'm sure you'd be on board with removing his monuments. Times change. Murder is something that was once acceptable that no longer in the eyes of some. Apparently not all tho.

This is so stupid and petty. What are they protesting? All they did was give the Confederate rally or KKK or whatever those people are that much more recognition.

I just wish the people who kneeled during our National Anthem would move to another country to give it a shot. Maybe they would love life elsewhere and never wish to come back to America. I highly doubt it.

More than likely, if they lived in another country for a year plus they would realize how fortunate we are to live in such a great country. They would the stand up straight, look into our flag with the love and passion it deserves.

How many people threatened to leave our country if Trump won the election? How many did? Our population isn’t growing yearly because it’s a terrible place. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah because the people who want change in the country, by using the methods the country gives them peacefully, want to leave. They are literally playing by the rules this great country gives them, peacefully.....but they hate the country and want to leave. How many of them ever said they hate or even dislike America? You gotta be smarter than that.

When president Obama was in the White House there was protest everywhere. There were some very angry people some people believe rightfully so. Why didn't they just leave? Because that would be stupid. But when I hear libs complain the common go to is why don't you just leave if you're not happy. When women couldn't vote should they have just left because they weren't happy? Protest can be just as much about love as you claim it's about hate. The love to make this country better in their minds. You might disagree with what they think is better but you have to be stupid to think it's because they hate the country.

Just because they aren’t protesting against the flag doesn’t mean it’s not disrespectful to some people. Yea, it def gets attention but so would sitting in the middle of the court during the game and calling it protesting. There are better more constructive ways to go about it while getting everyone on board with your cause...we all just need to be a little bit smarter and less impulsive to get our point across.

It's actually very smart and well planned. It's getting them everything they desire. Seems you might want to go back to the drawing board understanding what protest actually is.

And I would hope they would continue to protest prior to the actual contest peacefully. It doesn't disrupt the actual contest and only mentally soft people are bothered. I'm ok with that.

If they hadn't kneeled tonight I wouldn't have known dumb ass Mississippi was having a Confederate protest further embarassing themselves and keeping Americans from thinking SC is the worse in this area. Yay Mississippi.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT