ADVERTISEMENT

On the dismissal of Coach Ford

Joe Cobb

The Jack Dunlap Club
Nov 6, 2008
In the discussion of Billy Amick, I've seen various accounts and opinion on what led to the dismissal of Coach Ford.

I thought I could provide some, but not all the answers... and in a separate thread as to allow replies and other insights.
This is isn't a complete set of facts, but facts as I remember and experienced them firsthand.

By 1988, Clemson Football had recovered from the sanctimonious sanctions placed on them by the ACC and the NCAA for recruiting violations that had occurred in the late 1970's. Winning the ACC in 1987 and 1988, finishing both years with identical 10-2 records had given promise to another national title soon to come for the Tigers. Recruiting was at the forefront of this challenge, as other schools were landing some incredible talent... with a lot of "new" emphasis on the student athlete life outside of football.

Some places Like Nebraska were touting its state of the art training facilities, while other schools like Miami were showcasing non dorm life for the players... including townhome like apartments that were fully furnished.

Clemson had it's reputation of a phenomenal fan base, a lake, and Death Valley. Not much else.

Mauldin Hall was the Football Athletic dorm. It had no cable, no urinals, and two small showers per 7 room segments of the building. No cable TV (mind you this was the late 80's) and elevators that worked perhaps 50% of the time. It wasn't uncommon for the elevators to get stuck transporting several large bodied players.
There was a crooked pool table with tears in the top... missing the 8 ball and cue ball... a "Frogger" and "Q-Bert" video game... and some nice 1970's vintage carpet that smelled of stale beer.

To be honest, Mauldin Hall was not a shining jewel to show parents and prospective student athletes.

My room was. Myself, and my freshman roommate had spent a lot of time making our room comfortable. We both had hand built lofted beds, mini fridges, and futon couches underneath that made our room look great... so great, that any brochures that went out to student athletes had a picture of our room to showcase the facility.

The coaches, and especially Coach Ford saw the athletic dorm situation lacking... while there was a growing murmur of a thought process that football players got "too much." This was reflected in several articles published in "The Tiger" and a few of which I rebutted. Many of these articles talked about how the football players had access to the nicer facilities on campus for housing and got preferential treatment; mistaking the fact that it was the Basketball Team that were housed in Calhoun Courts... not the football team.

In short, our living conditions were subpar to the UGA's, Miami's, FSU's, and other top 10 programs. In fact, I'd argue that the Clemson football athletic dorm was probably the worst in the ACC at that time.

Coach Ford was pushing for better facilities for his players. Something that would help attract top talent, and better in line with what our program was doing on the field.
Mauldin Hall was renovated... (paint, new carpet, and renovated bathrooms) but the footprint was still the same, and the elevators still did not work properly.

Meanwhile, the NCAA was pushing hard for the aspect of 'Athletic Dorms' to be done away with, as they felt it showcased a division between student athletes and students.

Thus, we have our conflict.

Coach Ford was on the "rubber chicken circuit" asking and advocating for increased donations to help fund a new dorm for the football team.
The BOT and President Max Lennon were advocating for more buildings, academic in nature... particularly something akin to what became Vickery Hall. Due to state budget cuts, they were relying more heavily on private donations... the same donations Coach Ford was soliciting for an athletic dorm.

In not so many words, Coach Ford basically stated that the revenue that was generated by the football team (which was in the millions) should be allocated to build a dorm. And if the fans wanted a successful program to continue, then this was the building needed, not what the BOT and President wanted. So better choose wisely. The proverbial, 'my way or the highway.'

The BOT and President seeing a power struggle... used the rumblings of another probe into NCAA violations, AND this cavalier attitude towards their authority to remove Coach Ford from his duties in early 1990 after compiling another 10 win season.
He didn't expect it, and was caught off guard. I've only seen that man cry once... and it was during his announcement to the team that he was leaving.

Subsequently, Vickery Hall was built... Athletic Dorms were 'outlawed' by the NCAA... and Coach Ford and Clemson were cleared of any NCAA violations.

President Max Lennon was held accountable for the $1 million buyout of Coach Ford's contract... and the tuition rate hikes and budget issues that soon followed. He received a no confidence vote and was dismissed in 1994.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.