ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Christmas Cooking Help

clemsonu96

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2008
I need a little help the from the board’s resident cooking team for a cook I need to do this weekend. @jmed99 @Clem'sSon @Hovice, or anyone that has any experience with the cut I have to cook this weekend.

As long as I can remember, my family has always had brunch on Christmas. It used to take place on Christmas morning, but as the family has grown we’ve moved it to a little earlier for everyone’s convenience. Part of that tradition was that my grandfather always cooked what they called a pork ham. It always confused me, because it didn’t look or taste like ham at all. It tasted like a sliced roast. Anyway, it’s on me this year to host the breakfast now that my parents are getting older. I’ve had a lot of success with smoking turkeys and other things for other family functions, so they want me to try to smoke the “ham” this year.

So, last night my mother brings me the cut of meat she bought and it’s actually a pork shoulder. Not just any shoulder. It’s a shoulder that includes the butt with the picnic. And, get this. It’s a whopping 25lbs. Now, one other thing they ask is that they want it sliced. I’ve never done that. I’ve only done this for pulled pork. So, I did a deep dive for any Arthur Bryant method type videos where you debone the meat, tie it up to roast shape, and cook it to 175 degrees to get it to slice. But, none of the videos show this method with a picnic AND butt. I’m guessing it doesn’t make a difference other than the cook time, but I’m not sure, because this cut she bought looks like twice the size of a good brisket. So, I need some help. If there is any other method to get the desired result of sliced pork then please let me know. I am cooking it on a Traeger.

Any suggestions on how to prep it
-Debone it?
-Trim the fat?
-Brine it?
-Injection suggestions if any?
-Tying it?
-Any seasoning tips (They’ve always just done salt and pepper. Don’t think they’re going for a typical bbq rub taste)?
-Cook time?
-Any suggestions whether to cook straight on the grill, on a rack, or in a pan?
-Wrapping? During cook or after?
-Sit time?

Really appreciate any feedback. Happy Holidays!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News