ADVERTISEMENT

OT deer repellant

enctigger

Lake Baikal
Feb 1, 2010
Deer have mounted a consistent and successful nightly attack on my front lawn plants. Not a big gardener but have grown tired of them taking over. I have tried deer out and another spray but have not found a go to. Anyone found anything that WORKS (spray or solar light/sound device) let me know.

Deer have mounted a consistent and successful nightly attack on my front lawn plants. Not a big gardener but have grown tired of them taking over. I have tried deer out and another spray but have not found a go to. Anyone found anything that WORKS (spray or solar light/sound device) let me know.
Go to a local barber or hair salon. Ask them to save the hair clippings for you. Take the hair clippings and spread them over your yard. This is how my Great Grandpa kept them out of his garden. One thing to remember about deer is that they are an extremely curious animal. Lights and noise will scare them at first but eventually they will come to see what it is all about. Their sense of smell is one of their best defense senses and they will catch wind of things and run the other direction.

This will spark some jokes but I've been told human urine works sometimes. Same principle as the hair with more odor that the deer can smell.
It's a big problem for people in northern Oconee and Pickens county. Many of my customers have put up electric wire around their yards which is relatively expensive but works the best.

Reactions: appalachiatiger
You might also consider the deer's diet when selecting plants. For example, they typically don't eat Azaleas and Gardenias, but love almost any succulent. They also don't like Palms, which works well for me, but not so much in the upstate.

they gotcha answer right there

but you could shave your body and spread that hair around plus piss everywhere

throw in a rifle and a place to clean your deer and youve got it covered without the govt or walmart:)

I have fought deer for a long time. Only thing that worked is a fence. Tried all of the above but once they know it's there nothing works and they will return yr after yr

Dog works better than anything in my opinion. I live in Country, tried all the above treatments and the deer will eventually ignore everything(especially in a drought or dry conditions) except a dog kept out at night or buckshot.

I have 2 Beagles who police the garden all throughout the night and run them off.

tVgw.gif

Milorganite. It's an organic fertilizer made of human waste. The smell keeps them away.
This, I have a neighbor who has a deer stand on our property line, I practice QDMA and the neighbor shoots anything that walks. I put this out right on the property line and the deer stay away from it. Human hair and urine works great protecting my garden. I also put a Messina plot master around my garden, basically just tape that you spray with detergent mix. It holds the scent until it rains. Deer for the most part stay out of it.

Last edited:
2 for milorganite i will try this. Thanks for replies!
Not saying you should not try it, but I covered our sunflowers- for doves- in milorganite and the deer still had their way with them. It seems like we're getting less food in the woods for them because we've never had a problem with deer in this particular field. Good luck.

Reactions: tiger orange
You'll have to Google it to find out where to get it, but I used peppermint concentrate last year on sunflowers and it worked great. Has to be applied at least once a week. It would take you about 15 minutes to apply with a sprayer to yard plants. The deer in your area will get trained to the fact that they hate the smell of your yard in about a month and they'll stop coming.

Reactions: ntbkr2004
Milorganite will absolutely work. It will wash away and but lasts longer and is much cheaper than than stuff marketed as deer repellent. I literally pour a line around my veggie garden and water it in very lightly. It's on level ground and one application usually lasts all summer. If you are on a hill and get excessive rain you may need to reapply. It's still effective but won't last as long if you broadcast it.

These worked for me to keep coyotes from eating my watermelon last year. Package says it works on deer but I haven’t used it where I didn't use milorganite. Well I can't link for some reason on mobile but look up nite guard light repellent.
I bought them at tractor supply.

.270 Remington. "I'll get your deer. You let me have the meat and you can have the antlers".

Go to a local barber or hair salon. Ask them to save the hair clippings for you. Take the hair clippings and spread them over your yard. This is how my Great Grandpa kept them out of his garden. One thing to remember about deer is that they are an extremely curious animal. Lights and noise will scare them at first but eventually they will come to see what it is all about. Their sense of smell is one of their best defense senses and they will catch wind of things and run the other direction.

Please film yourself asking for the hair clippings

Reactions: enctigger
Please film yourself asking for the hair clippings
Well I grew up in Batesburg Leesville. Lots of hunters and farmers in the area. You HAD to ask for hair clippings to get to the front of the line lol. In my hometown asking for those were not some strange looked down upon statements.

Reactions: Esso Porch
We are having success with Coyote urine. Picked it up at Ace. Ace is the place.

Spread the milorganite today and ordered some deer stopper.. Did not get to barber shop.....

Reactions: jmed99
Milorganite will work better than most anything I have found. Keep a bag around as it loses its effect after rain. I live in the country and have lots of beds in my yard and used milorganite around the plants only to have the deer come up on my patio and make a meal out of the plants in pots on the patio so I have expanded my use of the product

Not sure about other suggestions, but human urine will not work I assure you. I regularly piss on deer scrapes around my property and it seems to encourage deer activity, not deter it. Just my experience fwiw

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT