ADVERTISEMENT

OT.. Dog Seizure

Cocks are Number 1

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2015
We have two Bernese Mountain dogs. Our male is 2 years old, and this morning around 5am, I woke up to the sound of him having a seizure. I jumped out of bed and witnessed the entire episode. He’s never had any health issues, etc… and needless to say, it was scary stuff. He’s 135lbs, and as strong as a bull. He’s a great dog, and basically our 3rd son.

Took him to the vet first thing, and his lab work looks good. Looks to be genetic, with a reoccurrence in high probability, just uncertain as to when. I’m not going to put him on seizure meds (per vet’s request), just simply monitor him, and go from there.

Anyone else experienced this? Not fun.

We have two Bernese Mountain dogs. Our male is 2 years old, and this morning around 5am, I woke up to the sound of him having a seizure. I jumped out of bed and witnessed the entire episode. He’s never had any health issues, etc… and needless to say, it was scary stuff. He’s 135lbs, and as strong as a bull. He’s a great dog, and basically our 3rd son.

Took him to the vet first thing, and his lab work looks good. Looks to be genetic, with a reoccurrence in high probability, just uncertain as to when. I’m not going to put him on seizure meds (per vet’s request), just simply monitor him, and go from there.

Not personally experienced,but that really sucks and is scary. Nothing worse than a beloved pet being sick and they can't tell you what's wrong.

I'll be thinking about you and hope you can find a good solution for him.

Yes, sadly. Our rescue pup has had 3 in the almost-2 years that we've had him. I spoke to our vet about it just last Friday. She said that there is a type of epilepsy that is very common in dogs, and they don't know what causes it. It just means they will have one to two seizures per year, on average. She told me to keep a record of all instances. Note the frequency & intensity, as well as observations about the dog's behavior immediately afterward. If the seizures become more frequent, longer in duration, or if it takes the dog hours to recover, it's time to investigate putting them on medication.

So sorry you have to deal with this, too. It's a horrific experience to witness. I will never be able to unhear the sound that my dog makes during one.

Thinking of you, my friend!

we had a hunting dog that started getting seizures later in his life, around 7ish. turns out it was due to blood sugar levels and the vets told us to give him sugar cookies periodically to help prevent them

best of luck man

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1

Sorry to hear that. We had a black lab that had seizures. His mouth would clamp down hard, and I was always worried he would bite his tongue off. This was years ago, but we also declined medicine bc we thought the side effects were worse.

The one thing that actually made a difference, meaning he never had another seizure, was that we stopped spraying the house for insects. Not a pleasant time for us living with more bugs, but it helped him a lot.

Yes. We had a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever that had major seizure issues. Probably started when she was 5. She ultimately passed away at 11-12, and it was due to the seizures becoming frequent and compounding.

With every seizure, they become more susceptible to additional seizures. We saw it toward the end, but it's a bad downward spiral.

We medicated with phenobarbital. I don't think we really had a choice. It was able to stave off the seizures for a long time, and we got an additional ~7 years with her.

Sorry to read this. Had a boxer that had a degenerative nerve condition affecting his hind legs; it's heartbreaking to see. Hope you are able to get many more relatively healthy years with your pup

q1B51s9.jpg

Sorry to hear that. We had a black lab that had seizures. His mouth would clamp down hard, and I was always worried he would bite his tongue off. This was years ago, but we also declined medicine bc we thought the side effects were worse.

The one thing that actually made a difference, meaning he never had another seizure, was that we stopped spraying the house for insects. Not a pleasant time for us living with more bugs, but it helped him a lot.
Our previous lab had seizures also. The first one happened as we were leaving to go to hospital for my daughters birth. He was 8 years old. We also declined the medication. He had a few more and it was gut wrenching and frightening to watch. He would bounce back to his old self after a day or so. We had him for almost 16 years. 🙏🙏 for your pup @Cocks are Number 1.

My wife informed me today, pest control was at our home on Wednesday. The seizure occurred on Friday morning. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I hope this is not a coincidence.

Reactions: nytigerfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT