ADVERTISEMENT

OT Fed Chair Powell orders ethics review

I'd personally advocate people in these sorts of positions of power be required to have all their securities placed into a blind trust, as well as those of their spouses (I'm not the first person in this thread to say this, just throwing in my two cents).
I think it's crazy that anyone talks about elected officials making too much money. As a personal example, in a vacuum holding office has a lot of appeal to me. Who knows if I'd be cut out for it (and I know I'm not electable where I live) but I don't want to deal with:
  • The stresses of a campaign
  • The time away from my family
  • The really long hours
  • Getting paid less for those long hours than I get paid to sit on my ass and work from home right now
And we want to make that package worse? This is one of those "sounds good unless you think about it for 2 seconds" things, just like congressional term limits.
To be honest, I think most of this kind of talk comes from an attitude of cynicism and disdain for people involved in public life. People blame politicians and public servants for things not going how they'd like them to go, so they want to punish people who go into public service. It's not really a product of serious thinking about how to reform public service.

Stop electing people based on polarizing topics (guns, abortion, etc) and start electing people who work towards the goals that really matter. That would be a start.
To a lot of people, cultural issues matter a lot more than technocratic issues. I'm not sure they're wrong, since "polarizing topics" usually underlie even the most seemingly arcane technocratic issues. So I don't think the solution is to become more technocratic and less political; it's to improve the political.

To be honest, I think most of this kind of talk comes from an attitude of cynicism and disdain for people involved in public life. People blame politicians and public servants for things not going how they'd like them to go, so they want to punish people who go into public service. It's not really a product of serious thinking about how to reform public service.
Yup. One thing I'm observing at work a lot right now (but I think it bleeds over into the real world) is that people are a lot more interested in identifying problems than fixing them. Like you suggested, being cynical is easy and allows people to snipe safely from their safe spaces without ever actually doing anything.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
Not if you are licensed in the industry
The CFTC is a bigger joke. The commisioner actually admitted on a zoom-type call that they manipulate markets with the help of banks. And their mandate is to stop and prosecute any manipulation of commodity markets. This is not a D or R debate. This has been going on for years. Gensler has admitted that they corrupted and crashed bitcoin in 2017(Trump was pres.).

Last edited:

You certainly do come off as an arrogant one. I've thought my views through extensively. You may not agree but it isn't cynicism about things. It's based on a lot:

2000 page bills no one has read
Acts like "For the People" which is anything but for the people
The manipulation of racial issues which are the deepest of scars on this country
People going in to Congress and doing actual insider trading
Public sector unions which are just awful
The underlying bureaucracy which all need to be fired and removed because they are tainted and it is clear
The desire to use the Supreme Court as a wand of power rather than adhering to its original intent.

I could list 10,000 more easily but I'm not going to at this time.

We don't need all the governmental departments we have. We need total reform and it doesn't need to be large. The departments we have don't do much of anything to begin with. Do you honestly believe the FDA or others protect us from having a terrible food supply? Do you really believe they aren't corrupt in dealings with the big food companies? Do you think that about the Department of Energy? Do you think the Dept. of Defense isn't corrupt when all the people there rotate from that department to working in high positions with arms manufacturers? There is no oversight. This could go on and on. The very idea that people don't see how corrupt all of this is just blows my mind. I lived there for 10 years. I know what it's like and I have friends who have benefited enormously from it. It's rotten to the core.

Live in a dorm? I mean come on man. We need to attract talent, not make it run the other way.

People would do it for the right reasons at that point. It would attract many great people. The fact you think talent is only lured in by power and money is kind of scary. Those are the people we should avoid at all costs because they engage for their glory, not the service to our nation.

To a lot of people, cultural issues matter a lot more than technocratic issues. I'm not sure they're wrong, since "polarizing topics" usually underlie even the most seemingly arcane technocratic issues. So I don't think the solution is to become more technocratic and less political; it's to improve the political.
I'm not sure I follow what you are saying at all.

The gang mentality is a natural human behavior. Instinctual even. We want to choose sides.....and I think its a very common practice to manipulate that instinct in politics. Manipulation of that has both intended and unintended consequences.

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying at all.

The gang mentality is a natural human behavior. Instinctual even. We want to choose sides.....and I think its a very common practice to manipulate that instinct in politics. Manipulation of that has both intended and unintended consequences.
What I'm saying is that there are usually cultural/social issues underlying even some of the most arcane-seeming technocratic issues. For instance, you can objectively say how certain policies will affect the economy, but you can't objectively judge whether a smaller, more localist economy is better than a larger, more globalist economy. And I don't think we want to try to turn all of our disputes into apparently only technocratic disputes. In fact, there are real differences in belief about what's good, and how our public life should be organized that shouldn't and can't be reduced to numbers. We need politics to address those differences, but we don't always do politics very well.

You certainly do come off as an arrogant one. I've thought my views through extensively. You may not agree but it isn't cynicism about things. It's based on a lot:

2000 page bills no one has read
Acts like "For the People" which is anything but for the people
The manipulation of racial issues which are the deepest of scars on this country
People going in to Congress and doing actual insider trading
Public sector unions which are just awful
The underlying bureaucracy which all need to be fired and removed because they are tainted and it is clear
The desire to use the Supreme Court as a wand of power rather than adhering to its original intent.

I could list 10,000 more easily but I'm not going to at this time.

We don't need all the governmental departments we have. We need total reform and it doesn't need to be large. The departments we have don't do much of anything to begin with. Do you honestly believe the FDA or others protect us from having a terrible food supply? Do you really believe they aren't corrupt in dealings with the big food companies? Do you think that about the Department of Energy? Do you think the Dept. of Defense isn't corrupt when all the people there rotate from that department to working in high positions with arms manufacturers? There is no oversight. This could go on and on. The very idea that people don't see how corrupt all of this is just blows my mind. I lived there for 10 years. I know what it's like and I have friends who have benefited enormously from it. It's rotten to the core.
But... your entire post is an expression of cynicism. You say I'm arrogant, but as with most cynics, you seem to think you're superior to the people actually involved in what you're criticizing, and that what you think we should do ought to be obvious to everybody who's not corrupt.

What I'm saying is that there are usually cultural/social issues underlying even some of the most arcane-seeming technocratic issues. For instance, you can objectively say how certain policies will affect the economy, but you can't objectively judge whether a smaller, more localist economy is better than a larger, more globalist economy. And I don't think we want to try to turn all of our disputes into apparently only technocratic disputes. In fact, there are real differences in belief about what's good, and how our public life should be organized that shouldn't and can't be reduced to numbers. We need politics to address those differences, but we don't always do politics very well.
I’m not sure how any of that excuses how core human emotion is manipulated for political gain. It’s no different than how the same is manipulated for clicks or tv viewership.

I’m not sure how any of that excuses how core human emotion is manipulated for political gain. It’s no different than how the same is manipulated for clicks or tv viewership.
I agree that happens, but I don't think you can just make a blanket statement that "social issues" don't really matter just because people tend to have feelings about those issues.

I agree that happens, but I don't think you can just make a blanket statement that "social issues" don't really matter just because people tend to have feelings about those issues.
“Social issues” could much more easily be tackled by just stating the common goal. We want less abortions. We want less gun deaths. The strategies used to meet those goals should come from all strings of thought. But sadly these issues are only used to pander to the base. To make people chose sides. Etc. No progress is ever made.

“Social issues” could much more easily be tackled by just stating the common goal. We want less abortions. We want less gun deaths. The strategies used to meet those goals should come from all strings of thought. But sadly these issues are only used to pander to the base. To make people chose sides. Etc. No progress is ever made.
I don't think they're only 'used" the way you describe, but the quality of our discourse about these issues could definitely be improved.

I don't think they're only 'used" the way you describe, but the quality of our discourse about these issues could definitely be improved.
Do you think these topics are in the top 10 most important things facing our country today? Do you think our elected leadership thinks they are?

They are absolutely used or they wouldn't be in the top 10 issues they speak on when running for office.

Do you think these topics are in the top 10 most important things facing our country today? Do you think our elected leadership thinks they are?

They are absolutely used or they wouldn't be in the top 10 issues they speak on when running for office.
Sure I do. I think there are some people who get elected for whom those were their motivating factors for running for office. Ultimately, I think those kinds of issues are the most important issues because they're so much more indicative of differences in values. But because resolving those issues is so much harder than addressing more technical issues, you can't just be working on those things day in and day out.

Sure I do. I think there are some people who get elected for whom those were their motivating factors for running for office. Ultimately, I think those kinds of issues are the most important issues because they're so much more indicative of differences in values. But because resolving those issues is so much harder than addressing more technical issues, you can't just be working on those things day in and day out.
So the abortion issue (which the Supreme Court has already ruled) and gun rights (which the constitution protects) is of top 10 importance of current issues facing our country today? Wow. Man….I couldn’t disagree more.

But... your entire post is an expression of cynicism. You say I'm arrogant, but as with most cynics, you seem to think you're superior to the people actually involved in what you're criticizing, and that what you think we should do ought to be obvious to everybody who's not corrupt.

First of all, how do you know I haven't been involved in what I am criticizing? Secondly, I don't think I am superior at all which is the entire point of what I am saying. I want to live and let live. I want a free society with as little government intrusion as possible. We are currently electing alternating dictators who abuse executive power to force their way through. No matter who does it, nearly half the people are being forced into something they don't agree with. That's not what we intended and it's not a good form of government.

Our government is very corrupt and inside, most everyone knows it. How that could be missed by anyone is just beyond the pale. I know what happens when someone goes into the House and what they are told by the leaders of their party. It's just horrendous. We can do better.

I am not cynical about people in general. I believe most people are good and want to do what's best for people. I believe a great number of our elected officials on both sides go to Washington with that desire in their hearts. However, there is a power structure in place there that must be destroyed so those good people can get back to doing good things. This isn't something that's theory. It's a reality based on mounds of evidence. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. One need only reference the entire history of mankind to find this is the case.

First of all, how do you know I haven't been involved in what I am criticizing? Secondly, I don't think I am superior at all which is the entire point of what I am saying. I want to live and let live. I want a free society with as little government intrusion as possible. We are currently electing alternating dictators who abuse executive power to force their way through. No matter who does it, nearly half the people are being forced into something they don't agree with. That's not what we intended and it's not a good form of government.

Our government is very corrupt and inside, most everyone knows it. How that could be missed by anyone is just beyond the pale. I know what happens when someone goes into the House and what they are told by the leaders of their party. It's just horrendous. We can do better.

I am not cynical about people in general. I believe most people are good and want to do what's best for people. I believe a great number of our elected officials on both sides go to Washington with that desire in their hearts. However, there is a power structure in place there that must be destroyed so those good people can get back to doing good things. This isn't something that's theory. It's a reality based on mounds of evidence. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. One need only reference the entire history of mankind to find this is the case.

And history DEFINITELY suggests that people, when left to their own devices, don't trample all of the freedoms of people who aren't like them based on their intrinsic characteristics. That DEFINITELY wouldn't be happening in our country right now.

So the abortion issue (which the Supreme Court has already ruled) and gun rights (which the constitution protects) is of top 10 importance of current issues facing our country today? Wow. Man….I couldn’t disagree more.

The Supreme Court has made a lot of bad decisions. If we use your view that because SCOTUS ruled on abortion so it should be protected then we could go back and say Dred Scott was good law or Plessy v. Ferguson should be reinstated because SCOTUS ruled on that. The Court in Roe v. Wade left itself room to be wrong (which it was) with regard to human life in the womb. They ruled in the third trimester of pregnancy, the state's interest in protecting the potential human life outweighs the woman's right to privacy. As a result, the state may prohibit abortions unless an abortion is necessary to save the life or health of the mother. Now that we have the technology to clearly demonstrate it is a human life far earlier than the court thought, we should be able to overturn Roe v. Wade and get rid of the abomination that is abortion.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
And history DEFINITELY suggests that people, when left to their own devices, don't trample all of the freedoms of people who aren't like them based on their intrinsic characteristics. That DEFINITELY wouldn't be happening in our country right now.

Yes, history does show that. It's happened throughout our existence. What's your point? Where in anything I said do you get the view that I would support a system that doesn't protect people from that kind of tyranny? It's in our Constitution. It is happening in our country nearly everywhere you look. Our systems aren't doing anything about it because they no longer function.

Yes, history does show that. It's happened throughout our existence. What's your point? Where in anything I said do you get the view that I would support a system that doesn't protect people from that kind of tyranny? It's in our Constitution. It is happening in our country nearly everywhere you look. Our systems aren't doing anything about it because they no longer function.

My overall point is that I believe you're completely wrong that the answer is reducing the size of our government by 90%. I think that might be better for some freedoms like:
  • The freedom to pollute rivers
  • The freedom to have an unsafe workplace
  • The freedom to discriminate against gay people
  • The freedom to discriminate against black people
  • The freedom to discriminate against Muslims
But I'm not super interested in those freedoms. The sorts of freedoms that are diminished by a "large" government like ours aren't particularly important to me and I'd be shocked if you could cite a large society with a tiny little government that protected minorities. At best your idea is totally unproven theory. And to be clear, I don't give a rat's ass about the "intent" of the founders, even if I thought you'd interpreted them correctly.

My overall point is that I believe you're completely wrong that the answer is reducing the size of our government by 90%. I think that might be better for some freedoms like:
  • The freedom to pollute rivers
  • The freedom to have an unsafe workplace
  • The freedom to discriminate against gay people
  • The freedom to discriminate against black people
  • The freedom to discriminate against Muslims
But I'm not super interested in those freedoms. The sorts of freedoms that are diminished by a "large" government like ours aren't particularly important to me and I'd be shocked if you could cite a large society with a tiny little government that protected minorities. At best your idea is totally unproven theory. And to be clear, I don't give a rat's ass about the "intent" of the founders, even if I thought you'd interpreted them correctly.

Good gosh man. It says a lot that you go to those places with all this. The size of the government doesn't necessarily reduce its effectiveness. Limited in size doesn't infer a lack of capability. Particularly in those areas. But that's a very leftist thought process you have there so no surprise. Suffice it to say, I have no interest in those things either and they aren't really freedoms to begin with. That you think our large government actually helps with those things is amusing as can be. I know you don't care about the intent of anything other than a means by which to obtain and exert power over others because you deem them to be unworthy of freedoms they would abuse in such ways as you listed above.

Ours is the first and greatest experiment in self-government the world has ever seen. It's a worth and noble enterprise. I'm interested in freedom and opportunity for all based on personal responsibility. That has nothing to do with discrimination, dirty rivers or unsafe workplaces. We can do all that without having this monstrosity we have now for a government. But please carry on!

Good gosh man. It says a lot that you go to those places with all this. The size of the government doesn't necessarily reduce its effectiveness. Limited in size doesn't infer a lack of capability. Particularly in those areas. But that's a very leftist thought process you have there so no surprise. Suffice it to say, I have no interest in those things either and they aren't really freedoms to begin with. That you think our large government actually helps with those things is amusing as can be. I know you don't care about the intent of anything other than a means by which to obtain and exert power over others because you deem them to be unworthy of freedoms they would abuse in such ways as you listed above.

Ours is the first and greatest experiment in self-government the world has ever seen. It's a worth and noble enterprise. I'm interested in freedom and opportunity for all based on personal responsibility. That has nothing to do with discrimination, dirty rivers or unsafe workplaces. We can do all that without having this monstrosity we have now for a government. But please carry on!

That was a whole lot of words to not actually say anything.

I think you may be conflating issues of immediate importance with issues of general importance. I get that some people don’t care about “social issues,” but not everybody feels that way, and I’d argue that the delineation is pretty contrived to begin with.

I think you may be conflating issues of immediate importance with issues of general importance. I get that some people don’t care about “social issues,” but not everybody feels that way, and I’d argue that the delineation is pretty contrived to begin with.
Immediate/general. Either way. Doesn’t change my statement. Some issues are important because they really are. Some issues are perceived as important because weve been led to believe so.

So now we find out that "yellow stain" J Powell has been buying the same assets that the fed is pumping. Not a damn thing will happen to him. Martha Stewart says hello.

FYI the federal government employs about 9.2 million people. Losing 90% of those jobs over time by not replacing retirements and downsizing or eradicating departments would be great. Overall about 16% of the total workforce is employed by a form of government. Way too much. We can protect people and be a lot smaller.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT