ADVERTISEMENT

OT... For anyone that received subsidies for Obamacare last year, ....

quote-the-most-terrifying-words-in-the-english-language-are-i-m-from-the-government-and-i-m-here-to-help-ronald-reagan-151789.jpg

People need to start voting with their brains and not their hearts.

How did anyone think the government would handle our health insurance any different than our retirement?

You have to pay back the subsidy because it was a short sighted and misinformed idea for you to take it in the first place. The subsidy is income based. If you attempt to sandbag your income estimate on your healthcare.gov application in an attempt to free load off the government, you will be required to pay back the portion of the subsidy you shouldn't have taken in the first place if your income ends up higher on your tax return than what you put on your healthcare.gov application.

You have to pay back the subsidy because it was a short sighted and misinformed idea for you to take it in the first place. The subsidy is income based. If you attempt to sandbag your income estimate on your healthcare.gov application in an attempt to free load off the government, you will be required to pay back the portion of the subsidy you shouldn't have taken in the first place if your income ends up higher on your tax return than what you put on your healthcare.gov application.
Sounds like this is a horrible idea. Almost like it encourages people not to work too hard.

It definitely disincentivizes certain people from
attempting to improve their situation for fear of their health insurance becoming unaffordable

Earned more than you expected?

SMGDFH. The bottom line was I could barely pay the $412 a month on a now fixed income. What the fvcking bottom GD line is I will end up paying over $750 a month last year....for shit insurance. ACA? I think not.

This year would have been over$1400 a month. Are you people just obtuse over Obamacare? It was unconstitutional.

So Trump will do the right thing now. He'll allow the shit to collapse in order to get the People involved again after seeing that POLITICIANS fvcked the People over again.

SMGDFH. The bottom line was I could barely pay the $412 a month on a now fixed income. What the fvcking bottom GD line is I will end up paying over $750 a month last year....for shit insurance. ACA? I think not.

This year would have been over$1400 a month. Are you people just obtuse over Obamacare? It was unconstitutional.

So Trump will do the right thing now. He'll allow the shit to collapse in order to get the People involved again after seeing that POLITICIANS fvcked the People over again.

So you took more than you should and sandbagged your earned income. Got it.

I'm losing my patience that Trump is gonna do anything but tweet and host diplomats at Maralago.

What is unfair is that I pay $300 a month for me and my wife who are both over 60. And my insurance probably paid out $100,000 last year on me alone with no copay. (I also have Tricare). But I have a healthy 30 year old self employed daughter who pays $500 a month for $5000 deductible. She makes about 100K. And neither Obamacare or the plan that just went down covers indigent males. I'm talking my patients who live under bridges or in the woods and couldn't sign up for anything if it were free.

Reactions: undertheradar
The subsidy or ACA? ACA appears here to stay for now. Shame on the republicans for their giant failure here.

You're more than a little short-sighted. Let the ACA implode....which becomes just short of physical civil unrest by the People....and the Politicians are exposed. This is a BUSINESS decision by Trump. Hardly a POLITICAL decision....because we need and voted for this perspective.

You're more than a little short-sighted. Let the ACA implode....which becomes just short of physical civil unrest by the People....and the Politicians are exposed. This is a BUSINESS decision by Trump. Hardly a POLITICAL decision....because we need and voted for this perspective.

He rushed a piece of garbage legislation into a vote. That's hardly leadership.

Yeah. ACA is literally a ticking time bomb. If Trump touches it and tries to diffuse it and it explodes then it will be his fault. Just let that bad boy blow up in Obamas face.

They just need a better plan. The proposed replacement wasn't much better.
This is absolutely a true statement. Glad the plan was pulled because it wasn't much of an upgrade, if at all.

I'm an agent. I've signed up about 600 people for individual plans.

As far as the OP - they give you a subsidy based on what you said your income was going to be. Those subsidies are reconciled at the end of the year on your tax return. They even give you the opportunity to report a "life change" if you need to change your income. So as far as the law as it is... hate to say it this way, but having to pay it back is your fault.

Certainly understand that the full premiums are really high, but putting down or not changing the wrong income isn't the way to do it. You can also have to pay it back if you or your spouse has access to group coverage and you say you don't.

Much about the current law sucks. Some of it is quite good... albeit unsustainable.

If and when they come up with something new - they need to have significant input from insurance people and not politicians - who mostly have no clue.

I'm paying over 19,000 a year, and that is before any kind doctor bill.
Obama is / was just a dumb ass for starting the Obamacare, even Bill Clinton said
it was fuc#&$ up.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Said thing is the primary care docs and pediatricians are pulling down maybe 150K to see 3000 pts/yr.

If only we could pay directly and then have a true underwritten policy against catastrophic loss like every other industry.

This is absolutely a true statement. Glad the plan was pulled because it wasn't much of an upgrade, if at all.

I'm an agent. I've signed up about 600 people for individual plans.

As far as the OP - they give you a subsidy based on what you said your income was going to be. Those subsidies are reconciled at the end of the year on your tax return. They even give you the opportunity to report a "life change" if you need to change your income. So as far as the law as it is... hate to say it this way, but having to pay it back is your fault.

Certainly understand that the full premiums are really high, but putting down or not changing the wrong income isn't the way to do it. You can also have to pay it back if you or your spouse has access to group coverage and you say you don't.

Much about the current law sucks. Some of it is quite good... aleit unsustainable.

If and when they come up with something new - they need to have significant input from insurance people

When the Fed ORDERS you to pay for what the majority of Americans disagreed with...It's flat out Unconstitutional. End of discussion.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what everyone else pays, but I pay $600/mo just for my wife and I.

When the Fed ORDERS you to pay for what the majority of Americans disagreed with...It's flat out Unconstitutional. End of discussion.
Nobody arguing that point.

But in your case - the system still operated the way it was designed. You gave incorrect information based on the current parameters, therefore you had to pay the tax credit money back.

A lot of people work very hard. And don't make a lot of money doing it. I wouldn't be so quick to judge the working poor. Be happy that you are not one of them.
They wouldn't be the party of Christianity if they didn't judge and do the opposite of the good book. Trump is the walking epitome of a Republican Jesus follower. Ironic this post was started by an uninformed fool that attempted to play the government and presented his theft as negligence by the previous administration.

Roughly 1000/month for my family of 4. 5k deductible. Couple years ago it was about 700/month.

As many in here say in jest, but I say with conviction, "thanks Obama".

Your vocabulary could use some help! Maybe you can work on it while you are expressing yourself.

What is unfair is that I pay $300 a month for me and my wife who are both over 60. And my insurance probably paid out $100,000 last year on me alone with no copay. (I also have Tricare). But I have a healthy 30 year old self employed daughter who pays $500 a month for $5000 deductible. She makes about 100K. And neither Obamacare or the plan that just went down covers indigent males. I'm talking my patients who live under bridges or in the woods and couldn't sign up for anything if it were free.
Sounds like your daughter needs to join the military if paying 500 a month is to much or she can just stop complaining.

I'm not sure what everyone else pays, but I pay $600/mo just for my wife and I.
I'm 47 and my wife is 56. I am diabetic, and she has lupus. She requires monthly injections that run $6000/month. She lost her job after having been diagnosed and for a couple of years was ininsurable. I understand many people's displeasure with the ACA, but it literally saved her life. We qualify for a subsidy (barely) and are currently paying $500/month for the two of us. I selfishly am very happy that the ACA is still the law.

Sounds like your daughter needs to join the military if paying 500 a month is to much or she can just stop complaining.
You assume a lot bud! How do you know she has complained. She has not! I have. She doesn't have Obama care, either. Didn't qualify and had to buy on open market. Where does your military quip come from? I am a civilian with BC/BS from work. Heard of that? Work with insurance.

But if you think it is fair for two old sick folks to get BC/BS for $300 a month combined and low deductible while the best a hard working healthy 30 year old can do is $500 a month with a high deductible then you are nuts. And I don't believe you are. Still don't know where the military quip comes from? Neither of us qualifies for that.
Now it is a fair question as to which is unfair: My low rate through work or her high rate via open market. Mine is way too cheap if my risks are considered.

Last edited:
I'm 47 and my wife is 56. I am diabetic, and she has lupus. She requires monthly injections that run $6000/month. She lost her job after having been diagnosed and for a couple of years was ininsurable. I understand many people's displeasure with the ACA, but it literally saved her life. We qualify for a subsidy (barely) and are currently paying $500/month for the two of us. I selfishly am very happy that the ACA is still the law.
I am glad too, compared to the Republican plan. And you are a great example of why it is good. But the ACA doesn't cover the indigent. So we still don't have universal coverage. Even in states with with expanded Medicaid many are left out. Just being American should give basic coverage, I believe. And self employed single young adults pay way too much. Almost impossible to get a subsidy.

They wouldn't be the party of Christianity if they didn't judge and do the opposite of the good book. Trump is the walking epitome of a Republican Jesus follower. Ironic this post was started by an uninformed fool that attempted to play the government and presented his theft as negligence by the previous administration.

Calm down bigot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT