ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tv over Fireplace

clemsonbr

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2004
I am building an outdoor area and want to mount the tv over the fireplace. My contractor mentioned that they can’t cut into the brick, and would have to do the wires on the outside. He said they could do it on the outside using conduit and it would blend in. Anyone have experience with this? I hate seeing any wires and want a clean look.

You may have to get someone with some masonry background to take a look....friend of mine just went through the same thing in his living room and they had to use the "blend in" approach. I could tell and it would bother me....he had two guys come look at it with both giving the same explanation as you referenced.

My understanding of that has always been, if you want to do that properly you need to build the fireplace for it initially rather than adding it on after the fact...for all of the reasons you mention.

Also, keep in mind that outdoor TV's come with their own sets of challenges from the elements and you're probably going to be replacing it at least annually unless you have a good way to protect it when it's not in use.

I am building an outdoor area and want to mount the tv over the fireplace. My contractor mentioned that they can’t cut into the brick, and would have to do the wires on the outside. He said they could do it on the outside using conduit and it would blend in. Anyone have experience with this? I hate seeing any wires and want a clean look.
Just had an outdoor fireplace built and they ran the wires for tv as they built it...I doubt they can cut in after it is built. My guys said it had to be done during bricklaying.

If it is already built then conduit is the way to go. Just paint it black or something that blends in. I ran it on my back porch and was going to paint it but it looked so good that I just left it silver. Just make sure your conduit guy is not a jack leg.

My understanding of that has always been, if you want to do that properly you need to build the fireplace for it initially rather than adding it on after the fact...for all of the reasons you mention.

Also, keep in mind that outdoor TV's come with their own sets of challenges from the elements and you're probably going to be replacing it at least annually unless you have a good way to protect it when it's not in use.
Had an tv on my back porch for 5 years. Did NOTHING to protect it from anything. Worked like a champ until I sold the house.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT