ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Well, he did it

Am I the only person who just doesn't care who owns Twitter? My timeline is full of people either celebrating or whining and it's like y'all need to just go outside or something
What is a timeline? Serious question. Is that a Twitter thing? If so, maybe YOU should get off and go play outside

Am I the only person who just doesn't care who owns Twitter? My timeline is full of people either celebrating or whining and it's like y'all need to just go outside or something
I have about 100 people ignored on this very Board. I’d recommend doing something similar 😂. It’s a tremendous feature.

lol I have a Twitter but not sure about the login. Never really been on for anything other than clicking a link and reading a post.

Reactions: Buzzards Roost
The issue with Twitter is that it’s become a tool of manufacturing public consensus to ideas. It’s unfortunately important.

I don’t use it much, but I definitely see it’s impact.

The issue with Twitter is that it’s become a tool of manufacturing public consensus to ideas. It’s unfortunately important.

Personally, I think people who are online too much greatly overexaggerate its true influence. I saw a Pew poll a few months back that said only about 20% of Americans even use it casually.

It's my preferred social platform, but that's because I can get my timeline in chronological order and it's easy to catch up with what's happening at any given moment. I'm not getting posts from days or weeks ago like on Facebook.

The problem with Twitter as I see it, is an unbelievable % of highly active bots be they left or right or corporate. Thereby selling years of advertising based on fraudulent metrics. If this is made public they could end up in court for billions. The ceo cfo lawyer chick could also be involved. I think Musk might quietly remove the bots over time....and we'll never know.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
Personally, I think people who are online too much greatly overexaggerate its true influence. I saw a Pew poll a few months back that said only about 20% of Americans even use it casually.

It's my preferred social platform, but that's because I can get my timeline in chronological order and it's easy to catch up with what's happening at any given moment. I'm not getting posts from days or weeks ago like on Facebook.
When other media outlets started using Twitter as a source about 10 years ago is when it’s impact was felt. You don’t have to be on it in order for it to have an effect.

Reactions: FightingDevilTiger
Twitter was a twat. Let's see EM turn it into the devil's playground by allowing truth
"Truth" is not the construct of the Devil. "Censorship" is the Devil's construct, so Twitter is currently the realm of the Devil. Musk is going to make Twitter a Marketplace of Ideas!! 💡 That means EVERYONE will be happy/pissed.

The problem with Twitter as I see it, is an unbelievable % of highly active bots be they left or right or corporate. Thereby selling years of advertising based on fraudulent metrics. If this is made public they could end up in court for billions. The ceo cfo lawyer chick could also be involved. I think Musk might quietly remove the bots over time....and we'll never know.
The problem with Twitter and all social media, is that despite what Musk says here, everyone does not need a public voice. It's the opposite...fewer people need a public voice.

When other media outlets started using Twitter as a source about 10 years ago is when it’s impact was felt. You don’t have to be on it in order for it to have an effect.
It was Wikipedia before that. Have seen a few young engineers cite Wiki as a source of information in a technical write-up.
Needless to say, it involves a closed door meeting with that person.

I’d say there’s a difference between saying it’s not very widely used versus saying its influence is exaggerated. Should it have the influence it does based on how many people use it? No. Does it have that much influence? Yes.

For instance, I have no plans to use Twitter, but I still end up looking at other people’s accounts all the time to either see what they’re saying or because something has been reported based on something they tweeted. Many times, stories are written where the writer has tried to determine what people are saying about something based on what’s being tweeted. So even people like me are “using” Twitter and I guess being influenced by it.

But the corollary for both of us is probably that the obsession over Musk is too much.

Last edited:

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Musk’s stated goal to Advertisers tweet is what we should always aspire to: To debate and uplift humanity.

Everyone who wants to participate in Twitter should. And those constantly trying to use Twitter as a way to drive violence, get lost. Protect freedom of speech, but utilizing it as shouting fire in a movie theatre, that doesn’t serve humanity.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Musk’s stated goal to Advertisers tweet is what we should always aspire to: To debate and uplift humanity.

Everyone who wants to participate in Twitter should. And those constantly trying to use Twitter as a way to drive violence, get lost. Protect freedom of speech, but utilizing it as shouting fire in a movie theatre, that doesn’t serve humanity.
Assuming his intentions are honorable and sincere (no reason to think otherwise at this point), I can agree with them. However, I don't know how he can exert that kind of control over a platform full of as many loons as live on Twitter.

Assuming his intentions are honorable and sincere (no reason to think otherwise at this point), I can agree with them. However, I don't know how he can exert that kind of control over a platform full of as many loons as live on Twitter.
Seems like it’s easier just to not control it, right? I think that’s closer to what he’s proposing, but then again, he’s also talking about identifying bots and taking them out.

Free Speech is a chess game. If you silence those you don’t like or say hateful things, you lose the ability to know what they are truly about and what they are doing. You want everyone in the stadium participating even though you can’t some of the people there.

We have loons politically, religiously, and other ways. But much like having everyone in the stadium, there is a code of conduct for you to remain in your seat.

You can call someone fat, ugly, Coach or player sucks, the stadium food is terrible. Transgenders don’t belong in school decisions. It’s fine. But you can’t fabricate there’s a bomb in the stands, you can’t tell the person next to you that you are gonna assault them.

I think if Twitter is managed like “stadium” behavior, it’s just fine.

I’m sure Elon will do some good things with the Twitter platform but this is an objectively terrible acquisition. Paying $44b for a company worth about a $13b will be taught in business schools as a cautionary tale.

Also, what investor in their right mind wants Elon’s attention further diluted from an already busy portfolio of businesses? If I own Tesla stock, I absolutely hate this deal.

He has a brilliant mind but needs to get his blood sugar under control. This was a truly bad idea from the get go.

And if you believe he bought Twitter at an exorbitant premium because it’s important to Democracy… well… he is quite a salesman.

Free Speech is a chess game. If you silence those you don’t like or say hateful things, you lose the ability to know what they are truly about and what they are doing. You want everyone in the stadium participating even though you can’t some of the people there.

We have loons politically, religiously, and other ways. But much like having everyone in the stadium, there is a code of conduct for you to remain in your seat.

You can call someone fat, ugly, Coach or player sucks, the stadium food is terrible. Transgenders don’t belong in school decisions. It’s fine. But you can’t fabricate there’s a bomb in the stands, you can’t tell the person next to you that you are gonna assault them.

I think if Twitter is managed like “stadium” behavior, it’s just fine.

Agree with much of this, but how do you handle the people willfully and intentionally spreading misinformation? Is there a limit to how much is allowed? How do you monitor? I don't have answers,just curious what others think.

One of the challenges for me is that I am by nature pretty skeptical of anything I read online, I research the comments/news to see if it's valid before I Ever believe it. Others,such as my 69 year old mother don't do this, they were not raised in her generation to be skeptical of news/don't understand how easy it is to make something look official and real online. She and others believe and spread all sorts of stuff that is crazy and damaging.

Agree with much of this, but how do you handle the people willfully and intentionally spreading misinformation? Is there a limit to how much is allowed? How do you monitor? I don't have answers,just curious what others think.

One of the challenges for me is that I am by nature pretty skeptical of anything I read online, I research the comments/news to see if it's valid before I Ever believe it. Others,such as my 69 year old mother don't do this, they were not raised in her generation to be skeptical of news/don't understand how easy it is to make something look official and real online. She and others believe and spread all sorts of stuff that is crazy and damaging.

Challenge the "misinformation" and win the argument. The very second you think there should be some party taking responsibility for making sure the dullards in society or people who don't inform themselves believe what they say, you have just empowered someone in a way that is dangerous. Especially since in these current times the people who claim to want to defend what is "misinformation" are the biggest misinformers out there right now.

It's never going to work to decide how much is allowed and how it is monitored. Who monitors the monitors? Who monitors the monitors who are monitoring? Also, the prior "monitoring" was decidedly one way... that serves no one. I'm not sure when our society has been more counter-factual. And the increasing polarization only feeds the counter-factual cultures we see on each of the political extremes in this country.

Well, I use Twitter professionally, so...I can't. lol

Working in the digital media world is quite the adventure. Makes the in-game thread look like Sunday school
You work in digital media and have to use Twitter professionally, but you don't care that the best innovator and business mind of our generation just bought the company?

Color me a skeptic.

You work in digital media and have to use Twitter professionally, but you don't care that the best innovator and business mind of our generation just bought the company?

Color me a skeptic.
No, I really don't. Because I don't work for Twitter, it's simply a means to reach our audience. And if it changes, my company will find another avenue. I don't own stock in Twitter, I don't give a shit what investors think.

Reactions: OrangeBallz10
I guess it makes you feel like having the whole place to yourself
@clemsonu0219 , after ignoring 95% of TI by the end of the season

200.gif

Challenge the "misinformation" and win the argument. The very second you think there should be some party taking responsibility for making sure the dullards in society or people who don't inform themselves believe what they say, you have just empowered someone in a way that is dangerous. Especially since in these current times the people who claim to want to defend what is "misinformation" are the biggest misinformers out there right now.

It's never going to work to decide how much is allowed and how it is monitored. Who monitors the monitors? Who monitors the monitors who are monitoring? Also, the prior "monitoring" was decidedly one way... that serves no one. I'm not sure when our society has been more counter-factual. And the increasing polarization only feeds the counter-factual cultures we see on each of the political extremes in this country.
And this is the very basis of why Freedom of Speech is so critical. We lost the battle of building credibility over a long period of time because of the INSTANT journos the internet allows. The only way to combat this is by allowing them to bury themselves over time and follow the MONEY!!! (Clemson out of the CFP talk)

Sadly….. (I really don’t want to devolve this so I’ll stay on the surface here. People have and want to believe some things that are completely built on faith and for many 180 degrees from what others believe for MILLENNIA. It’s quite fascinating really.) So… is anything really surprising?

The only enforcement is allowing people to reveal themselves over a period of time. That’s what free speech is.

@yoshi121374 as for mama, ask her about this fine citizen. The father of Yellow Journalism.

People like Murdoch followed it. Ailes brought it to TV and then copied by many.

The only way you shut them down is with your eyeballs and challenging what you see and read. AND FOLLOW THE EFFIN MONEY!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT