ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Zoysia Lawn Overhaul

thekgc

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2020
Hey all - finally taking the plunge on overhauling my existing zoysia lawn in Greenville. Would appreciate any feedback you may have, committed to doing this right the first time.

Existing
-Currently have predominantly Palisades zoysia. Have grown frustrated with the following:
  1. Thinner growth in some areas that are partially shaded (4-5 hours of full sun, another 3-4 filtered shade)
  2. Incredibly fast vertical growth in other areas requiring cuts less than a week apart during growing season
  3. Lack of ability to spread horizontally - have had small bare/thin patches directly adjacent to lush sections that do not fill despite having good soil, etc.
-Generally take good care of the lawn - on a regular fertilizer/pre-emergent schedule, mow regularly during the season with rotary mower and bag clippings to prevent excess thatch buildup.

-No dogs, lawn is subject to light-medium foot traffic from kids.

Type of New Grass
-I currently have access to the following varieties of Zoysia
  1. Zeon
  2. Zenith
  3. Chisolm
  4. Royal
  5. Empire
-I tend to lean towards the finer blade varieties like Zeon, but ultimately looking for what is going to give the thickest/lower maintenance solution going forward. Open to suggestions.

-Laying roughly 4000SF of sod.

Process
  1. Nuke existing grass (or some areas where mostly bare/weeds) with Roundup. Just finished applying the second application and will wait the recommended 7-10 days before laying sod.
  2. Till existing areas to remove dead vegetation
  3. Top soil - planning on having enough delivered to fill in some low spots, cover some exposed tree roots, and lay roughly 0.5-1" across areas to be sodded.
  4. Rake in starter fertilizer based on existing soil test results
  5. Install sod, water as recommended.
Appreciate any feedback you may have, especially if there are some additional steps you'd recommend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News