ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: 12 team Playoff - Good or Bad thing?

Do you feel the 12 team CFP will be better or worse for CFB than the 4 team CFP?

• Better

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Worse

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

TigerFlow

The Milwaukee Deep
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2017
Lookin Pretty, Sparkle City
The question pretty well says it all; feel free to take it however you want, it's a very subjective question.

Here's how I approach it. I disagree with the premise that a larger playoff field will devalue the regular season. I believe allowing for 12 spots is going to make the season far more exciting, for far more fans far longer into the season. How can it not? More teams will be in contention well into October, and November. And then you have the possibility that a lower seed could upset a top tier seed and suddenly blow the whole playoff wide open - of course, that will not be the norm. But, we will have years where big upsets occur and the possibility for an unlikely team to win a Natty. I think that is fantastic and I am excited to see how it all plays out here in Year 1, but also in Years 2,3,4,5,6, and on and on.

Of course we had an amazing run during the 4 team era and I am so thankful we won as much as we won(20% of the titles for the era!), but all too clearly do I remember prior eras and any excitement for the latter part of the season being restricted to will we or won't we beat our rival and will we even make a bowl game this year? So, when I look at the stats for how few teams made the 4 team CFP over the decade it was in existence (that would be only 15 teams) and how few won Titles(only 6), I can't help but get excited for us, but also for all those teams who will be in that #10 to #30 slot in any given year. Hope is a powerful thing and in this era of waning excitement for the game due to roster reasons(I'll leave it at that, lol), perhaps will be surprised how this change has the potential to get keep more fans engaged into the Holiday season.

Go Tigers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.