ADVERTISEMENT

*** Question for our basketball coaches/minds here ...

Paul Strelow

Recruiting Analyst - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Jul 8, 2013
A very rudimentary question for our basketball folks ... @OrangeBandit, @CUPLAYER1, @crope1, and all others who want to chime in.

Long story short, looking for your most basic man-to-man motion offense play ...

I help coach a SCISA girls team full of kids who ... aren't basketball players, and it shows haha. And yes, there absolutely reaches a point that no matter what you run, it doesn't matter if the kids cannot pass or have any sense for movement.

After various efforts last year to implement a 5-out motion offense with a J-cut, that was abandoned, and the closest thing I've got to something that works is a 4-around-1 where the PG starts up one side, and it's pass-and-screen away from there.

We're essentially playing four guards and a post, personnel-wise -- although really only two guards who can do anything with a dribble.

The issue I cannot rectify is the first pass they want to make is the square one up top, and the angles there are just leading to too many breakaway layups in the other direction haha. Yeah, I can put in pressure release in theory and all that (2 goes to screen for 3), but what really happens in reality is simply three perimeter kids making ineffective V-cuts that no one buys, and a right-handed PG always looking to that one guard staying at the top.

Basketball2.png

We've moved our one potent player off the ball to try to improve the overall team. Our post, preferably, stays down low.

That's a lot of details for something you probably can't picture. Maybe it's more a cry for help.

But just seeing what anyone here likes as far as probably a middle-school level play? I've got multiple zone looks taken care of. Have some BLOBs that have been fine -- no more or less -- but always open to an improved one.

Also deliberating the details in what kind of 1-3-1 halfcourt to add.

We won a few games over the summer, so there's a chance to be ... competitive ... at their level, no more or less. So trying to clean up all the details before practice gets underway here soon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.