ADVERTISEMENT

Reason 1,378,532 Republicans lose elections.

Chickens
how-to-tell-if-eggs-are-old-019e275b4888474ab83811fbe1574a5e.jpg

Ya …. The original case, before it was hijacked, is fascinating though. Fertilized embryos at a IVF facility were “destroyed”. In some cases these embryos were a couples only chance to have children sooooooooo they certainly are more than just “property”. Just a fascinating case …. and so much room for nuance.
you mean there is more to the story than just a headline?

Reactions: pttimmer
This is an interesting case FOR SURE.

The really interesting part of this is that in many cases the fertility clinics harvest way more eggs than the couple in question ever want to have as far as children are concerned. They often implant several embryos at once, hoping that one or two will make it (and if several do they will pair them down to one or two). Finally, when the couple actually has as many kids as they want, the clinics routinely throw away the remaining embryos.

The above becomes REALLY tricky if they are actually considered people.

And remember, that's not all. Lot's of birth control methods work (at least partially) by not allowing an embryo to implant itself. So there's that...

Catering to the hyper religious right was all fine and well to secure their votes, but once they started getting elected to positions of power then shit like this starts to happen. They never should've overturned RvW since it gave dems huge voting momentum, and it took a massive piece off the board for getting pubs out to vote. Very shortsighted from the RNC, though I imagine the power brokers probably never expected it to happen.

Unfortunately being reasonable doesn't get you very far nowadays

It is really unfortunate. I'm at a place where I'm not even sure I support the majority of Republican positions. But at the same time, I vehemently oppose the core democrat philosophy of bigger government and more dependence and entitlements.

Direct quote from the decision:

“In summary, the theologically based view of the sanctity of life adopted by the People of Alabama encompasses the following: (1) God made every person in His image; (2) each person therefore has a value that far exceeds the ability of human beings to calculate; and (3) human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself. Section 36.06 recognizes that this is true of unborn human life no less than it is of all other human life -- that even before birth, all human beings bear the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory.”

This should be shocking and frightening to all Americans who value the first amendment.

“In summary, the theologically based view of the sanctity of life adopted by the People of Alabama encompasses the following: (1) God made every person in His image; (2) each person therefore has a value that far exceeds the ability of human beings to calculate; and (3) human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself. Section 36.06 recognizes that this is true of unborn human life no less than it is of all other human life -- that even before birth, all human beings bear the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory.”

This should be shocking and frightening to all Americans who value the first amendment.

While I'm a Christian and I recognize you scoff at those who practice religion, I agree this is very problematic.

The first amendment to the US Constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." The two parts, known as the "establishment clause" and the "free exercise clause" respectively, form the textual basis for the Supreme Court's interpretations of the "separation of church and state" doctrine. Three central concepts were derived from the 1st Amendment which became America's doctrine for church-state separation: no coercion in religious matters, no expectation to support a religion against one's will, and religious liberty encompasses all religions. In sum, citizens are free to embrace or reject a faith, and support for religion—financial or physical—must be voluntary, and all religions are equal in the eyes of the law with no special preference or favoritism.

BTW, regarding my post and @dbjork6317's above - I don't really understand why they felt the need to introduce God and religion into the decision. Here's my perspective, free from religion, and based solely on morals and personal observation.

I watched the heartbeat of both of my children when they were 8 weeks from conception. It was clear that those were living beings and already very much my sons. As such, the termination of those lives is akin to killing a human life.

That said, others may not share my morals or perspective. If they want to terminate a human life with a heartbeat out of convenience, within a reasonable time from conception, I suppose that can be their decision. And there should be grace given in terrible personal instances such as rape, incest or significant health concerns.

It is really unfortunate. I'm at a place where I'm not even sure I support the majority of Republican positions. But at the same time, I vehemently oppose the core democrat philosophy of bigger government and more dependence and entitlements.
Don’t vote for either. It’s really your only chance to do something. Insurmountable odds? Maybe, but at least it’s something

Are embryos. children? Yes or no?
Life begins at conception but does conception = pregnancy??? So remember my baby classes from 12 years ago, egg is fertilized, and then that lil sucker can float around in a woman’s mysterious lady parts for up to a couple of weeks before planting itself on the interior wall of the uterus, and that is what constitutes a pregnancy. Fun fact, fertilized embryos are naturally expelled with regularity even in a healthy environment.

Sooooooooooo thinking about this purely from a science perspective, I would say “No, an embryo is not a child/life”.

However, I do think in the OG case those embryos are certainly more than just “property” and I think that what is worth arguing ….. until it was hijacked. Fascinating case …. well … it was fascinating …. now it’s just derp derpy deeeerrrrrrr derp

BTW, regarding my post and @dbjork6317's above - I don't really understand why they felt the need to introduce God and religion into the decision. Here's my perspective, free from religion, and based solely on morals and personal observation.

I watched the heartbeat of both of my children when they were 8 weeks from conception. It was clear that those were living beings and already very much my sons. As such, the termination of those lives is akin to killing a human life.

That said, others may not share my morals or perspective. If they want to terminate a human life with a heartbeat out of convenience, within a reasonable time from conception, I suppose that can be their decision. And there should be grace given in terrible personal instances such as rape, incest or significant health concerns.
This is where I’m at … I’ve always said that there is room for nuance … that is until the extremes raise their ugly heads.

When my wife was pregnant with my daughter, that is how I learned that a fertilized embryo can float around in the womb for weeks until implanting on an interior wall, thus triggering a “pregnancy”. Apparently it is that “implanting” which causes hormones to be released, and it is those hormones that are read on a at home pregnancy test. Not going to share too much, BUT I think it valuable to mention because … hey … it’s a message board … and it’s good to share information and take a break from bashing one another all the time. With my daughter, my wife was significantly “late”, but all the pregnancy tests she took came back negative. It took a blood test to confirm that she was indeed “pregnant”. Looking at home my daughter (now 8 years old) butterflies herself around the house, it’s no wonder she floated around the womb for like two weeks lol.

We need to reform how we handle elections to move away from the primary, winner take all setup. Candidates have no incentive to appeal to the center over loud extremists.

That's not going to happen, though, because the extremists aren't willing to concede much by definition.

Abortion is not illegal in the US and republicans did not overturn Roe v Wade.

That's not how Trump tells it.

"I was able to kill Roe v Wade." - Donald J. Trump

Why? The peole of Alabama can't read?

That's not how Trump tells it.

"I was able to kill Roe v Wade." - Donald J. Trump

And for those arguing that this just an Alabama thing, there is currently a GOP sonsored bill in congress that will prevent IVF nationwide.

The Life at Conception Act – which was introduced in January 2023 by GOP Rep. Alex Mooney of West Virginia and has 125 total Republican sponsors in the House, including House Speaker Mike Johnson – defines the term “human being” to include “all stages of life, including the moment of fertilization, cloning, or other moment at which an individual member of the human species comes into being.”

Of course it should terrify thinking Americans. Alabama is in effect, declaring itself a christofascist state.

Of course it should terrify thinking Americans. Alabama is in effect, declaring itself a christofascist state.
I’m waiting for god to help Alabama’s STD rate go down, its system of education to improve, and its economy to grow.

Something tells me I shouldn’t hold my breath. His focus must have been on the football program this whole time.

The abortion issue was astro turfed by the GOP in the 70s to attack Jimmy Carter. It was an issue they could raise up to fracture the evangelist voter support he had. It was always just a political football back then, they knew it and played at repealing it to incite voter movement.

It used to be that Americans were happy to have the freedom to decide things for themselves, but now they love being upset with how others chose to live their lives. If you don't want abortions don't get em. If you think a fetus is a real human, then grant it citizenship and allow me to take out life insurance on it. The pro life movement is the dumb dog that caught the car. They have no clue what they are doing they are just mad and stupid and are making life here worse for everyone. But they will never take accountability for their actions.

There should be immediate movements to bring citizenship rights to the unborn allow their mothers to vote in their stead and punish the GOP system for what it has wrought.

Interesting …

Soooooo I’m fairly religious and quite active in my church … I’ve never heard this position on IVF for. Just a little googling and it looks like it’s an Catholic position … which is interesting at least to me because I personally believe that Catholics commit blasphemy every time they step into a Cathedral and certainly during confession. Most every atheist I know, started out as a catholic and I personally believe the Catholic Church has failed their followers ……… the Roman Empire didn’t fall, it became the Catholic Church …. but that’s just me.

Reactions: yoshi121374
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT