ADVERTISEMENT

Should teams have the right to “fire” players?

JohnstoneF419

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2021
Given that players now have the right to come and go as they please from one program to the next at any moment in time, should teams have the right to push players out each year at any moment in time? I don’t know where I stand on this, it’s just a question. Also related, guys in their 5th and 6th years, it would seem like coaches/teams would prefer to know who is committed to being part of the team and who isn’t committed. After all a high school recruitment can take many months of relationship building. How can players that are genuinely committed and stay with their programs, even when things get tough, be rewarded? I don’t know any of the answers on this topic, it just seems like the dynamics aren’t where they should be. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if, or when, a school states that a player isn’t bringing enough value to the program and is therefore “let go”. Maybe it’s already happening and isn’t public. Generally speaking when talent is less than compensation (even when employee is an “good” person) employer has the right to eject employee. Any thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News