ADVERTISEMENT

Should there be an eight-team CFP this season?

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
From Mike Farrell and Adam Gorney this morning ...

There should be an eight-team playoff this season.

Farrell’s take: FACT. Many are against the eight-team playoff, but I’ve always been for it as the more teams competing for a national title the better. And this year, with conferences like the Big Ten and Pac-12 starting late and chaos all over the place, why not? Let’s throw a 7-0 Oregon into the mix as a No. 7 seed and see what they can do. Why not? It’s all about changing with the times and this year is a year of change and being nimble in decision-making.

Gorney’s take: FICTION. I have no problem expanding the playoff to eight teams for good because then it can represent all five Power Five conferences and those fringe schools that get left out because they weren’t conference champs or play in those leagues. But not this year. Let’s just get through the season, let’s crown a champion and let’s pray we get back to some sense of normalcy by next fall.

I’m sorry but the Pac-12 playing seven games gives those teams an unfair advantage if they’re let in the playoff. It’s a good idea long term but this is not the year to monkey around with stuff.

Reactions: Hkytiger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News