ADVERTISEMENT

So much energy at the DNC!!

Yeah, any civil war in the US is gonna look a lot like Syria. Except I am a special boy and nothing bad will happen to me, just everyone else. But not me.

Blastocysts and embryos aren't babies, for what its worth. Killing babies is illegal, and has been since forever.
Ah love this argument. I like to look at this not necessarily from a “baby” but from “life.” You can talk about blastocysts, embryos, babies, infants, toddlers, whatever. All are a part in that life.

Listen, it’s actually not very difficult to understand. As I look at my 19 month old son and my soon to be born (living in his moms womb) next week 2nd son, I see life. There’s no denying that is Life.

Well where and how does life begin?

For Science folks: Science says it begins at fertilization.

“A recent study suggested that 80% of Americans view biologists as the group most qualified to determine when a human's life begins, experts in biology were surveyed to provide a new perspective to the literature on experts' views on this matter. Biologists from 1,058 academic institutions around the world assessed survey items on when a human's life begins and, overall, 96% (5337 out of 5577) affirmed the fertilization view.”

For common sense individuals: Common sense says it begins when the sperm connects with the egg.

Ah. The start of life. Now, sometimes that life continues and sometimes it does not. A lot of times that is outside of our control. Other times (abortion) we take control.

For the spiritual, The Bible says:

Know that the LORD Himself is God; it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves

the One who formed you from the womb, ‘I, the LORD, am the maker of all things

For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb.

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you

But when He who had set me apart before I was born,

Not even you can deny the beginning of life. .

For Science folks: Science says it begins at fertilization.

“A recent study suggested that 80% of Americans view biologists as the group most qualified to determine when a human's life begins, experts in biology were surveyed to provide a new perspective to the literature on experts' views on this matter. Biologists from 1,058 academic institutions around the world assessed survey items on when a human's life begins and, overall, 96% (5337 out of 5577) affirmed the fertilization view.”

Not even you can deny the beginning of life. .
I'm in the final months of a PhD in biochemistry. Welcome to the Thunderdome.

At the most basic level, something needs two things to be considered alive: some molecule to carry information, and some molecule which can carry out the biochemical processes which can ensure the survival and continuation of the information molecule. On Earth, the information molecule is either DNA or RNA, while the molecules which carry out the biochemical processes are proteins. Anything more than this is just extra; anything less than this is un-life. What you've quoted affirms that - this is pretty foundational level stuff.

So yes, a single-cell zygote is life. An embryo is life, as are the blastocyst and fetus and neonate. The individual sperm and egg cell are also alive, in the same way that every other cell in our body is alive. I don't feel bad when I cut my hair. I don't wail and gnash my teeth at the millions of skin cells I shed on a daily basis. I do not mourn over the countless number of my own cells which my immune system destroys on a daily basis for being pre-cancerous or infected with some virus or simply being too old. Because they're just cells, they aren't me. This isn't even getting into the fact that 50% of all zygotes are spontaneously aborted by the body, often before the mother is ever aware she was even pregnant.

There is something fundamentally different between an infant or person, and a bundle of cells. Conflating the two is dehumanizing.

I'm in the final months of a PhD in biochemistry. Welcome to the Thunderdome.

At the most basic level, something needs two things to be considered alive: some molecule to carry information, and some molecule which can carry out the biochemical processes which can ensure the survival and continuation of the information molecule. On Earth, the information molecule is either DNA or RNA, while the molecules which carry out the biochemical processes are proteins. Anything more than this is just extra; anything less than this is un-life. What you've quoted affirms that - this is pretty foundational level stuff.

So yes, a single-cell zygote is life. An embryo is life, as are the blastocyst and fetus and neonate. The individual sperm and egg cell are also alive, in the same way that every other cell in our body is alive. I don't feel bad when I cut my hair. I don't wail and gnash my teeth at the millions of skin cells I shed on a daily basis. I do not mourn over the countless number of my own cells which my immune system destroys on a daily basis for being pre-cancerous or infected with some virus or simply being too old. Because they're just cells, they aren't me. This isn't even getting into the fact that 50% of all zygotes are spontaneously aborted by the body, often before the mother is ever aware she was even pregnant.

There is something fundamentally different between an infant or person, and a bundle of cells. Conflating the two is dehumanizing.
80% that have your degree agree with those facts, but they disagree with how you put it together.

What’s dehumanizing is to discount just how awesome the creation of life is. Just how intricate and careful it was planned by an awesome Creator. You may not believe in God, and that’s fine. Still doesn’t mean he doesn’t exist.

Those “alive things” are a part of the individual life. There are stages and each of those are a part of the journey.

To compare the process of human life to skin cells and your hair is stupid and quite frankly you’re reaching to try to prove your point and make yourself feel better about what you believe.

In those cases where there isn’t continued development, well that’s not the mothers doing. She can’t control that. She didn’t make that decision. Call it whatever you want, I call it Gods providential plan.

But to abort is to take things into your own hands. That’s different. And that’s ending life.

Last edited:
No.

I’m just not a democrat. I consider myself centrist right leaning. I also am a free thinker and willing to challenge the status quo.

I have a couple major points I base my vote on first and then other issues come on board.

I wish the Pubs had someone other than Trump. But I’m being forced to choose between Trump and Kamala. And I just can’t get behind Kamala’s far left agenda and this begrudgingly may vote for trump. But I also am in Texas so they don’t need me vote.

I also don’t tend to emotionalize situations nor am I influenced by the Media. In fact, emotional people are a huge turn off for me and part of why I’m turned off by the Democrats - everything is about emotions and feelings and that doesn’t allow for facts.
LMAO If you think Dems are emotional and MAGA and Trump are not, I feel sorry for you. Go find the first poster ITT who started name-calling, and tell me who they support.

Reactions: dpic73 and okclem
Race relations was the best it has ever been in this country until the Obama's started interjecting race into every discussion.

O
Nope.

He doesn’t speak for me and that is offensive.

My son is Hispanic and Black and I don’t support that.

Hope I never use that term to describe a person’s heritage

It may be correct but it is tasteless in a civil conversation to describe a person

I don’t know exactly what i might say other than maybe mixed race primarily between Black and Latino

How is that fellows

O

Hope I never use that term to describe a person’s heritage

It may be correct but it is tasteless in a civil conversation to describe a person

I don’t know exactly what i might say other than maybe mixed race primarily between Black and Latino

How is that fellows

It’s really not that the content is incorrect, and I’m not even going to question his intentionality with the use of that word. I unlike others also won’t push to label him racist because of it - I engage in dialogue and provide the opportunity to hear him out before a serious label like that.

Too many try to come to the defense of others - “oh he’s racism” or “oh that’s offensive” when it didn’t even happen to them or it really didn’t have some type of impact on them. This is done a lot, especially by the left as a way to continue to drive and prove a point.

But the perception he gave is that of a mixed person being lessor than. Again, maybe not his intent, but there are other words to describe someone of mixed race.

Now, a person of mixed race does make choices. They can either embrace both equally or they can lean to one over the other when with how they identify themselves. There are things in both cultures that they may like and dislike and that’s ok. But there are people who will not reference their other culture unless it benefits them somehow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT