ADVERTISEMENT

Sous Vide/steak question...UPDATED

Trading Tiger

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2006
Here's the background info before the question...I always thought I was not a big fan of steak. For 99% of my life, whenever I was served steak, it was not good. Full of gristle, fat, tough, chewy, etc. Most times, there would be more inedible parts left on my plate than the amount of steak that I actually did eat. Every now and again, I'd splurge on a filet, and it was better, but still not great. So with all that in mind, I typically avoided steak both at home and at restaurants, and I just don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject.

My wife received an immersion circulater for her birthday, and we used it for the first time on Sunday, cooking up a couple of steaks, prime top sirloin to be specific. These were by far the best steaks I've ever had outside of a good steakhouse like Hall's, I was blown away.

At first, I was chalking it up to the sous vide, because that was the only variable that I identified at the time. But then it occurred to me, I honestly don't know if I've ever purchased or been served prime beef at home before. That was always reserved for special occasions, at Hall's, etc. So finally, here's the question...

Why was the steak so good? Was it the sous vide, or the prime grade? I realize the answer is probably a mix of both, but is it 50/50, 90/10?

Thanks for your input!

*****UPDATE*****

I cooked the remaining two steaks on the grill last night. I set up my kettle for 2 zone cooking, all the charcoal on one side. Seared both sides over the coals for about 3 minutes each, then moved as far away from the heat as possible. I turned and flipped a few more times throughout the cooking process, to try to cook as evenly as possible. They cooked probably another 8 minutes on the indirect side of the grill. Here are my findings...

I have to say that the quality of the meat is the most important thing. The steaks were slightly overcooked, they probably reached around 140° during the rest, but that was simply due to my inexperience. I have a Thermapen, and I was using it, but the temp jumped from 115° to 130° in less than 60 seconds. I pulled them at that point, but I'm sure they rose another 10° or more while resting. Still tender and juicy, just not as much as before using the sous vide method.

I will say that the flavor was better on the grill. Can't get that taste from sous vide or a gas grill. Just salt and pepper, no butter, no herbs, nothing, and it was delicious. However, there are certainly ways to enhance the flavor using the sous vide method, and I will continue to experiment.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News