ADVERTISEMENT

States by GDP per capita

LaniKaiTiger

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
May 22, 2021
Top 10: NY, MA, ND, WA, CA, CT, AK, DE, WY, CO.
Bottom 10: LA, MT, NM, KY, ID, SC, AL, WV, AR, MS.

What leads to more long term growth: Investment in education and infrastructure, or tax cuts?

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
Of course, and I'd wager the other factors are infrastructure and education.

Maybe part of it. You have to look at the rural and poor population though. I’m not sure infrastructure and education is lifting up many pockets of SC anytime soon.

A county or metro view may be more valuable. How do you think Charleston metro or Charleston county is doing in that stat?

Maybe part of it. You have to look at the rural and poor population though. I’m not sure infrastructure and education is lifting up many pockets of SC anytime soon.

A county or metro view may be more valuable. How do you think Charleston metro or Charleston county is doing in that stat?
Would tax cuts do the trick? Let the money trickle down. It’s worked wonders so far.

Reactions: DW4_2016
I think it's somewhere in the middle. You need an educated workforce and proper infrastructure (mainly technical for rural areas), but you also need tax incentives for businesses to relocate to these rural states/cities.

Look at the Osceola, AR area right now, there's tons of industry moving there thanks to Ford, US Steel, and Highbar setting up giant facilities, but there's a massive shortage of workers because no one wants to move to the middle of nowhere AR for these jobs. Memphis is the closest city, and they have problems of their own, but Arkansas needs to find a way to make these areas more palatable for people to relocate to. I'm sure industry will likely come there after these plants get up and running, but I've got a client in the area that tells me repeatedly how no one is going to relocate there and these plants are going to struggle with staffing due to this.

Reactions: hopefultiger13
Such in depth analysis.

It’s bizarre that folks are fleeing the prosperity of CA in droves. I wonder why?

Such in depth analysis.

It’s bizarre that folks are fleeing the prosperity of CA in droves. I wonder why?

They must all be headed to Mississippi and Arkansas. I also didn't claim to analyze anything; I posed a question

Wow, I didn’t realize they were fleeing another one on your list as well. NY

Where are they going? Florida and Texas are the top two destinations.

Wow, I didn’t realize they were fleeing another one on your list as well. NY

Where are they going? Florida and Texas are the top two destinations.
Taking their cash with them. I'd prefer to live in Florida or Texas over NY and CA myself, but it doesn't answer how NY and CA have such large economies despite such heavy tax burdens.

Taking their cash with them. I'd prefer to live in Florida or Texas over NY and CA myself, but it doesn't answer how NY and CA have such large economies despite such heavy tax burdens.
The Rich don’t care about tax burdens. It’s pretty simple really. Tax loopholes allow for rich folks not to be threatened by raising taxes. Why? Because if you raise taxes across the board, but I don’t lose my loophole, then nothing changes for me.

But for lower and middle class if you raise them across the board, many of those loopholes are irrelevant.

Interesting you chose per capita.

Agreed. And better than CA and NY apparently.

So about that long term growth…
Yep, let's ignore the past 50 odd years or so. In my opinion, investment in infrastructure and education are better long term ideas than tax cuts that get pissed away or pocketed by the wealthy. No amount of cutting taxes is going to save Mississippi, Arkansas, or South Carolina for that matter.

I think it's somewhere in the middle. You need an educated workforce and proper infrastructure (mainly technical for rural areas), but you also need tax incentives for businesses to relocate to these rural states/cities.

Look at the Osceola, AR area right now, there's tons of industry moving there thanks to Ford, US Steel, and Highbar setting up giant facilities, but there's a massive shortage of workers because no one wants to move to the middle of nowhere AR for these jobs. Memphis is the closest city, and they have problems of their own, but Arkansas needs to find a way to make these areas more palatable for people to relocate to. I'm sure industry will likely come there after these plants get up and running, but I've got a client in the area that tells me repeatedly how no one is going to relocate there and these plants are going to struggle with staffing due to this.
THIS... There's a place right in the middle where yes, businesses pay their taxes at a rate that doesn't kill their bottom line too badly and allows them to invest in people and expansion, but also allows enough funding for infrastructure, services and education, but not enough for the government to get fat and lazy and start wasting money.

Yep, they're better places to live than the previous two.
They are better places to live due to big government run by dems has ruined both places. California should easily be the most desirable state in the nation to live in, the climate is flawless and the opportunities are boundless. But dems have completely destroyed the living conditions in the state due to disastrous policies.

You started this thread because you believe more government spending is the solution here. It's obvious you don't want to hear any other solution so don't be surprised when some don't waste their time discussing any other.

Reactions: jfegaly
Yep, let's ignore the past 50 odd years or so. In my opinion, investment in infrastructure and education are better long term ideas than the tax cuts that get pissed away or pocketed by the wealthy. No amount of cutting taxes is going to save Mississippi, Arkansas, or South Carolina for that matter.
Of course you think this. You’re a big government person.

Again, interesting you chose per capita.

Ignore the last 50 years? Seems you’re ignoring current events and future growth. Again, there is a reason folks are fleeing those states. That reason? They can’t afford to live there anymore. Why? Taxes.

The Rich don’t care about tax burdens. It’s pretty simple really. Tax loopholes allow for rich folks not to be threatened by raising taxes. Why? Because if you raise taxes across the board, but I don’t lose my loophole, then nothing changes for me.

But for lower and middle class if you raise them across the board, many of those loopholes are irrelevant.

Interesting you chose per capita.
End all loopholes, flat tax for all at the same rate.

They are better places to live due to big government run by dems has ruined both places. California should easily be the most desirable state in the nation to live in, the climate is flawless and the opportunities are boundless. But dems have completely destroyed the living conditions in the state due to disastrous policies.

You started this thread because you believe more government spending is the solution here. It's obvious you don't want to hear any other solution so don't be surprised when some don't waste their time discussing any other.
I was referring to MS and AR compared to TX and FL.

More government spending, yes, though not necessarily net spending. If you believe that the opposite is the solution, or some middle ground, by all means. My point is that low taxes aren't the elixir of life they're made out to be.

Ignore the last 50 years? Seems you’re ignoring current events and future growth. Again, there is a reason folks are fleeing those states. That reason? They can’t afford to live there anymore. Why? Taxes.
Funny thing is, investment in infrastructure was one of Trump's big pushes. He was seriously passionate about that, and the dems have always claimed to be as well.

Then he got in office and said let's do it, suddenly the dems got cold feet.

That's because dems view infrastructure as pork and kickbacks. Remember obama's 'shovel-ready jobs'?

More government spending, yes, though not necessarily net spending. If you believe that the opposite is the solution, or some middle ground, by all means. My point is that low taxes aren't the elixir of life they're made out to be.
If you run government smartly, you can do it all.

But if you want to use spending to hide pork and kickbacks, you can't.

It would indeed seem wise to correct for the fact that states with more people will have larger GDPs.

If it were for taxes alone, GA and NC wouldn't have much stronger economies than SC.

Of course not, and neither is raising them. The fairest tax? A flat rate consumption tax.

I realize we are talking state vs federal, but the same principles apply.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
Funny thing is, investment in infrastructure was one of Trump's big pushes. He was seriously passionate about that, and the dems have always claimed to be as well.

That's because dems view infrastructure as pork and kickbacks. Remember obama's 'shovel-ready jobs'?
One president got an infrastructure bill signed, the deal maker did not.

Yep, I knew you weren't interested in having an honest conversation.

Enjoy the thread, everyone.
He campaigned on it and didn't get it done. What happened to the art of the deal?

He holds a press conference saying he won't negotiate unless they quit investigating him, and you claim that it didn't get done because "dems got cold feet."

It would indeed seem wise to correct for the fact that states with more people will have larger GDPs.

If it were for taxes alone, GA and NC wouldn't have much stronger economies than SC.
Or….you’re cherry picking one category (gdp) of a complex financial system, and using cherry picked criteria within that category (per capita gdp) to make an argument that fits the narrative you want it to fit.

GDP per capita is your deciding factor for more taxes on infrastructure. Surely you’re intelligent enough to understand there are more factors than that, and to know how disingenuous your argument is.

I mean, those taxes it took that you say went towards infrastructure has made being able to afford living in NY and CA very difficult. So much so, that they are hemorrhaging population.

Ask Russia how well declining population works out.

Or….you’re cherry picking one category (gdp) of a complex financial system, and using cherry picked criteria within that category (per capita gdp) to make an argument that fits the narrative you want it to fit.

GDP per capita is your deciding factor for more taxes on infrastructure. Surely you’re intelligent enough to understand there are more factors than that, and to know how disingenuous your argument is.

I mean, those taxes it took that you say went towards infrastructure has made being able to afford living in NY and CA very difficult. So much so, that they are hemorrhaging population.

Ask Russia how well declining population works out.
Clearly Russia needs to pump more oil and all those people will return

Clearly Russia needs to pump more oil and all those people will return
It’s not about that. I mean you can keep playing silly games, but the fact of the matter is declining population over time can bring a nation or state to it’s knees. That being said, NY snd California both need to be brought to their knees. Pride comes before the fall.

To recap, you asked about long term growth. Declining population doesn’t lead to long term growth.

Or maybe it was the minor detail that it was largely unfunded? 🤔
You need to start accepting blame for all your Ls

It’s not about that. I mean you can keep playing silly games, but the fact of the matter is declining population over time can bring a nation or state to it’s knees. That being said, NY snd California both need to be brought to their knees. Pride comes before the fall.

To recap, you asked about long term growth. Declining population doesn’t lead to long term growth.
Indeed, it caps your potential output from the start. Immigration can help.

Or maybe it was the minor detail that it was largely unfunded? 🤔
You need to start accepting blame for all your Ls

It's just like the claim that no one recognized China as an economic threat before him. Trump ripped up the TPP within a month of taking office in his infinite wisdom.

Reactions: dpic73
Would tax cuts do the trick? Let the money trickle down. It’s worked wonders so far.

I know you’re being a smart ass and not really looking for a solution. But these are low skill, low education, low motivation areas. Generations of poverty.

Perhaps tax incentives to bring in warehousing or low skill industrial businesses in order to employ these people. Without some incentive, nobody is moving anything to these shithole SC areas and they will continue to be dirt poor and a drag on the stat from your OP.

We pay the same state taxes in Charleston btw. GDP for the Charleston metro is booming. Education where I am is great. So what’s different?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT