ADVERTISEMENT

Stop, Look, Listen

BigPapaWhit

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Jun 15, 2014
Prelude: I highly expect this to get moved to the Round Table. It probably should be. I will not be offended if it does. However, in order to give it the widest possible audience, I begin in the West Zone. However, all you old school mofos know what I mean when I say it starts at the Esso Club.

The title of this thread refers to a sermon I witnessed in fourth grade at a revival in Mentor, Ohio. The Preacher tells the story of a societal crisis. He didn’t bring race, class or politics into it. People were dying. Cars were getting t-boned by trains. Great brains descended on this problem. Then someone came up with the idea of “Stop, Look, Listen.” These three words saved lives. He then tied it into a sermon on the bible: stop, look and listen. Was he telling the truth? WGAF. Somebody said don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story. By now, if y’all still here, some are saying get to the point. The point is in the title…

Stop, Look, and Listen

Gentlemen and Ladies(yes, u2 @amynhop) if I can make one request. Stop, Look and Listen to each other. There is too much shouting but no one is listening. I stumbled across the video below. It was Killer Mike on the Joe Rogan Show. Who is Killer Mike? The first time I even heard of this cat was probably the same time as you when he was on the news talking “... we must plot, we must plan, we must strategize, we must organize, and mobilize.” I thought Killer Mike made some good and valid points. Actually, he moved me. I told myself to google him later. Did I? No! Then I came across this vid.

Damn Killer Mike digs Waylon and WIllie. I like guns. He likes guns. Man is preaching 1st and 2nd. Brutha could be my brother. All I had to do was Stop, Look and Listen. Otherwise, I’d be missing...the point.

Seriously, stop, look and listen. How many times have you come to this board to ask a question? This board can be a wealth of info from @Ron Munson ‘s fashion advice to @Cris_Ard 's investment advice. (Though if we are being honest we value Ard's Dirty Myrtle Dining Dish more than his stock picks.) You would not get any if you don’t Stop, Look and Listen. I have gotten lawn advice, bourbon recs and Disney tips from you guys. Thanks to @Larry_Williams I know what jam bands to avoid(shh most of them). TI is like a family reunion. Look to your left and to your right if you don’t know who is the most obnoxious family member, it’s probably you. There is a lot of good on this board. It is being shouted down because people won't stop, look and listen. Get to the point you say...Well I say, “I just poured another Woodford Double Oaked, you might want to hang up now.” Seriously, stop, look and listen.

If Washington has succeeded at anything, it has diverted our attention from each other. Instead of helping our neighbors with their problems, we are divided by DC shenanigans. If you want to make a difference stop, look and listen. Start with your neighbor. If they are good then branch out. Check on their neighbor. It is not productive to blame China, Trump or the Monkees (aren’t most of them dead?) for the pandemic. People are hurting. It may be economically, medically or psychologically. At this moment, no one can solve the nation’s problem. However, you can help your neighbor, your family, or a fellow board member if you stop, look or listen. Support your local cops, local schools and local businesses. Vote local and vote often. If we wait on Trump or Biden to solve our problems then we have failed our forefathers. Many of them were so suspicious of centralized power they delegated much to the states. New York and Virginia could not be trusted. Rhode Island did not want to be bullied and Georgia could not wait for Florida to be created.

I might be naive but in my heart, I have faith in the human condition. Do not be a slave to the national political narrative. Do not be an echo of the national media. That neighbor, that co-worker, that boss whomever, check on them: stop, look and listen. That one with whom you vehemently disagree, do not crucify. Do not disqualify the pain. Do not hush the hurt by saying “yeah, but he ain’t one of those blacks, or he’s white but he’s alright.” Color should not be causation or correlation. It may be simple as shade or shadow in a world we all share.

For brevity sakes - Guys (& Gals) I know we all think we’re Americans. And just because the rest of the world thinks Americans are assholes (wankers in the Queen’s English) doesn’t mean we have to prove them right.

And finally...

Jeffery Epstein didn’t hang himself.

Prelude: I highly expect this to get moved to the Round Table. It probably should be. I will not be offended if it does. However, in order to give it the widest possible audience, I begin in the West Zone. However, all you old school mofos know what I mean when I say it starts at the Esso Club.

The title of this thread refers to a sermon I witnessed in fourth grade at a revival in Mentor, Ohio. The Preacher tells the story of a societal crisis. He didn’t bring race, class or politics into it. People were dying. Cars were getting t-boned by trains. Great brains descended on this problem. Then someone came up with the idea of “Stop, Look, Listen.” These three words saved lives. He then tied it into a sermon on the bible: stop, look and listen. Was he telling the truth? WGAF. Somebody said don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story. By now, if y’all still here, some are saying get to the point. The point is in the title…

Stop, Look, and Listen

Gentlemen and Ladies(yes, u2 @amynhop) if I can make one request. Stop, Look and Listen to each other. There is too much shouting but no one is listening. I stumbled across the video below. It was Killer Mike on the Joe Rogan Show. Who is Killer Mike? The first time I even heard of this cat was probably the same time as you when he was on the news talking “... we must plot, we must plan, we must strategize, we must organize, and mobilize.” I thought Killer Mike made some good and valid points. Actually, he moved me. I told myself to google him later. Did I? No! Then I came across this vid.

Damn Killer Mike digs Waylon and WIllie. I like guns. He likes guns. Man is preaching 1st and 2nd. Brutha could be my brother. All I had to do was Stop, Look and Listen. Otherwise, I’d be missing...the point.

Seriously, stop, look and listen. How many times have you come to this board to ask a question? This board can be a wealth of info from @Ron Munson ‘s fashion advice to @Cris_Ard 's investment advice. (Though if we are being honest we value Ard's Dirty Myrtle Dining Dish more than his stock picks.) You would not get any if you don’t Stop, Look and Listen. I have gotten lawn advice, bourbon recs and Disney tips from you guys. Thanks to @Larry_Williams I know what jam bands to avoid(shh most of them). TI is like a family reunion. Look to your left and to your right if you don’t know who is the most obnoxious family member, it’s probably you. There is a lot of good on this board. It is being shouted down because people won't stop, look and listen. Get to the point you say...Well I say, “I just poured another Woodford Double Oaked, you might want to hang up now.” Seriously, stop, look and listen.

If Washington has succeeded at anything, it has diverted our attention from each other. Instead of helping our neighbors with their problems, we are divided by DC shenanigans. If you want to make a difference stop, look and listen. Start with your neighbor. If they are good then branch out. Check on their neighbor. It is not productive to blame China, Trump or the Monkees (aren’t most of them dead?) for the pandemic. People are hurting. It may be economically, medically or psychologically. At this moment, no one can solve the nation’s problem. However, you can help your neighbor, your family, or a fellow board member if you stop, look or listen. Support your local cops, local schools and local businesses. Vote local and vote often. If we wait on Trump or Biden to solve our problems then we have failed our forefathers. Many of them were so suspicious of centralized power they delegated much to the states. New York and Virginia could not be trusted. Rhode Island did not want to be bullied and Georgia could not wait for Florida to be created.

I might be naive but in my heart, I have faith in the human condition. Do not be a slave to the national political narrative. Do not be an echo of the national media. That neighbor, that co-worker, that boss whomever, check on them: stop, look and listen. That one with whom you vehemently disagree, do not crucify. Do not disqualify the pain. Do not hush the hurt by saying “yeah, but he ain’t one of those blacks, or he’s white but he’s alright.” Color should not be causation or correlation. It may be simple as shade or shadow in a world we all share.

For brevity sakes - Guys (& Gals) I know we all think we’re Americans. And just because the rest of the world thinks Americans are assholes (wankers in the Queen’s English) doesn’t mean we have to prove them right.

And finally...

Excellent Post OP! Bravo! I’m guilty at times of forgetting that despite some on this board being absolute fvcktards....they all love Clemson as much as I do, so they can’t be that bad.

Except @amynhop . She’s insufferable. And before she comes here and proves my point, I’m just kidding...mostly.

And Prince Andy better not come to NY as requested or Bill and Hillary will suicide him too.

Excellent Post OP! Bravo! I’m guilty at times of forgetting that despite some on this board being absolute fvcktards....they all love Clemson as much as I do, so they can’t be that bad.

Except @amynhop . She’s insufferable. And before she comes here and proves my point, I’m just kidding...mostly.

And Prince Andy better not come to NY as requested or Bill and Hillary will suicide him too.

yea I wonder if they will ever charge PRINCE ANDREW AND PRESIDENT CLINTON WITH RAPING MINORS.

Round table for sure....

fkQCMVOHZeEjXJQyk_AyuInnTxbnXJJdgvHy8fB4_v8.jpg

Stop, Look, and Listen

And finally...

Well said, Big Ern

I learn a lot here as well and enjoy most of the banter. I think many folks need to think things on the inside instead of saying them. Many of the riff raff would go away if we just didn’t engage their behavior.

The West Zone is a microcosm of society. Lots of opinions, lots of division, but we all come together when there is singular goal to achieve.

^^^^^^ missed the spirit and point of the OP.

Thanks, @BigPapaWhit , need more of that in the world. Shoveling all that lake effect snow in Mentor must have built strong character and strong back to help carry those neighbors in need.

Shoveled a bit. Lucky for me, I was only there for a year. Dad worked on nuclear plants. He was up at Perry Nuclear Plant. We did go to a Browns game at the old lake front. That was a cold day. They were playing the 49's. I was cheering for the wrong team. Dad told me to be quiet before we got killed. Then we returned back south. Unfortunately for me, the south meant Augusta, GA.

Honestly, this is as much for me as anyone. I have to do a better job of checking on my fellow man. I've probably been too focused on me and mine (family). I need to get out of my bubble and give back more to the community.

Reactions: petegroove
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT