ADVERTISEMENT

Susan Smith first parole attempt

Coastal_Accu

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2007
According to the Google.com, Susan Smith’s 1st attempt at parole is set on November 4th. Anyone with any insight on her chances of being granted or is it a slam dunk she’ll stay in prison?

I was in middle school at the time but remember the whole thing as much as I remember OJ’s case. Crazy it’s been 30 years but IMO she needs life without parole.

Reactions: Clemson Goat
According to the Google.com, Susan Smith’s 1st attempt at parole is set on November 4th. Anyone with any insight on her chances of being granted or is it a slam dunk she’ll stay in prison?

I was in middle school at the time but remember the whole thing as much as I remember OJ’s case. Crazy it’s been 30 years but IMO she needs life without parole.

Seems like she is doing fine right where she is.

The question for me would be the why of why she did it. There's no question that she did.

1. The prosecutors claimed that she killed her kids to start a new life with another guy. If so, the jury f'd up by not giving her the death penalty. No way she should get out.

2. The defense claimed that she was extremely troubled and had major depression and meant to kill herself with her kids. (See below). If that's true I could see her getting paroled at some point. But I'd have to KNOW that #1 was not correct and #2 was.

This comes from wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth:
--------------------------
Smith's father died by suicide when she was six years old, and Smith herself attempted suicide at age 13. Her mother then married Beverly C. Russell Jr. who later was revealed to have molested Smith when she was a teenager. Russell was a local businessman who later gained prominence in South Carolina's Republican Party and the Christian Coalition. Both Smith and Russell have stated that sexual relations between them continued until six months before the murders.[7][8]

After graduating from high school in 1989, Smith made a second suicide attempt after a married man she was in a relationship with ended their affair.[9] She married David Smith, and they had two sons. The relationship was rocky due to mutual allegations of infidelity, and they separated several times.[10]

In 2000, two correctional officers at the Camille Griffin Graham Correctional Institution, Lieutenant Houston Cagle and Captain Alfred R. Rowe Jr., were charged after having sex with her.[18] Consequently, she was moved to the Leath Correctional Institution in Greenwood.[19]
---------------------------

Her mother then married Beverly C. Russell Jr. who later was revealed to have molested Smith when she was a teenager. Russell was a local businessman who later gained prominence in South Carolina's Republican Party and the Christian Coalition. Both Smith and Russell have stated that sexual relations between them continued until six months before the murders.[7][8]
You don’t say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT