Tarheel Illustrated: Staff Pix - UNC vs. Clemson

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
---

From our North Carolina Rivals site:

The last time North Carolina won an ACC championship in football, Lawrence Taylor was in Carolina blue. The No. 23 Tar Heels have a chance to ending a 42-year streak without claiming a conference trophy on the gridiron when they face No. 9 Clemson on Saturday at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.

This is UNC’s second appearance in the ACC title game, the first was 2015 when it lost to Clemson 45-37. Carolina is back, but it’s riding a two-game losing streak.

1670009437836.png

The Tigers are also coming off a loss, falling at home to rival South Carolina.

UNC is 9-3 overall and finished 6-2 in the ACC, Clemson is 10-2 and finished 8-0.

The game kicks at 8 PM and will air on ABC.

Here are our picks:

John Gwaltney​

Entering Saturday's game between Carolina and Clemson, both teams are looking for answers following regular-season losses to their rivals. However, this is for the ACC Championship so what matters now is who shows up and brings their best performance to Charlotte. Both teams have playmakers that can decide the game so keep an eye on the areas that do not usually stand out because if one does that could decide the championship one way or the other. Prediction: Clemson 31, UNC 28.

Jacob Turner​

I'm not very confident going into this one. UNC just hasn't played well enough over the last two weeks for me to think it can beat Clemson for an ACC title. Don't get me wrong, it can happen, but why would I pick a win based on what we've seen in the last two games? Give me Clemson by 10 in a tight game for most of the way. Prediction: Clemson 34, UNC 24

Brandon Peay​

I don't see UNC being able to hold up in the trenches. I think the Heels will struggle to get anything on the ground and eventually become one-dimensional, allowing Clemson defenders to tee off on the pass rush. Prediction: Clemson 35, UNC 21.

Jarrod Hardy​

This is why Mack Brown came to UNC to have his team in big games like this against the likes of Clemson. I expect an interesting fight, this game honestly could go anyway and it wouldn’t be surprised. Dabo and company will have just enough to stop Drake Maye. Prediction: Clemson 31, UNC 27.

Andrew Jones​

This game likely will be decided in the trenches, and that doesn’t bode well for the Tar Heels. However, Drake Maye and company could exploit Clemson’s so-so pass defense, and if the Heels can force some DJU picks, they can earn a win. This isn’t an insurmountable task by any means, but line play usually determined games like this, and it will Saturday night. Prediction: Clemson 33, UNC 24.

Average THI prediction: Clemson 32.8, UNC 24.8.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News