ADVERTISEMENT

*****THE CLEMSON DUBCAST: Brad Scott and Jeff Scott

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement
Brad Scott has retired from football and is now back in Clemson enjoying the grandad and golf life.

Jeff Scott is fully immersed in his custom homebuilding business and out of football for a second consecutive season.

In other words, father and son have time to sit back and tell stories from their decades in college football that included epic runs at Clemson and Florida State.

Brad remembers going out to dinner with Dabo Swinney in Clemson when Swinney was interviewing with Tommy Bowden for a job coaching receivers in the spring of 2003.

When Swinney landed a blockbuster recruiting class in 2011 after a 6-7 season, Brad was the major figure in the signings of Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant and Mike Bellamy.

He remembers the NCAA coming to campus to ask him questions after people wondered how Clemson could sign so many high-profile players after a disappointing season.

Brad also shares a story from 1986 when he was on Bobby Bowden's staff at FSU and Bowden called.

"Brad, I'm going to Alabama and taking you with me," Bobby told him over the phone.

Bowden ended up backing out of the job after accepting it.

Jeff shares a recollection from 1998, three days after South Carolina fired his father as head coach. Tommy Bowden had taken over at Clemson and offered Brad a spot as tight ends coach. Brad took the job, and soon thereafter Jeff was wearing a Clemson cap when he ran into former Gamecock quarterback Steve Taneyhill.

Taneyhill thought Jeff was just bitter and wearing the hat out of spite.

"Steve," Jeff told him. "We're really going to Clemson. My dad just got a job coaching tight ends."

Brad Scott and Jeff Scott interview

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.