ADVERTISEMENT

The Kings Death/Led Zeppelin Last Album/Weekend Music Thread

scartiger

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2010
Hope everyone has a great weekend.

During the morning of Aug. 16, 1977, while at his home, Elvis Presley grabbed the book he'd been reading, Frank Adams' The Scientific Search For The Face Of Jesus, and went into his bathroom. His then girlfriend Ginger Alden said to him "Don't fall asleep in there," because she knew he did occasionally tend to fall asleep while in there. Elvis replied "Okay, I won't." Ginger went back to sleep.

At about 1:30 in the afternoon, Ginger woke up and sees Elvis is still gone. When knocking on the bathroom door produces no reply, she enters and finds his lifeless body on the floor in front of the toilet.

Alden screams for Elvis associates Al Strada and Joe Esposito, who arrive and call the fire department. An ambulance is dispatched. Daughter Lisa Marie and father Vernon arrive in the bathroom, but Lisa Marie is quickly removed from the scene. Elvis is rushed to nearby Baptist Memorial Hospital, where, after several attempts to revive him, he dies at 3:30 pm CST. His autopsy is performed at 7:00 pm.

The official coroner's report lists "cardiac arrhythmia" as the cause of Presley's death, but this was later admitted to be a ruse entered into by the Presley family along with autopsy physicians Dr. Jerry T. Francisco, Dr. Eric Muirhead and Dr. Noel Florredo to cover up the real cause of death, a cocktail of ten prescribed drugs, taken in doses no doctor would prescribe: The painkillers Morphine and Demerol. Chloropheniramine, an antihistamine. The tranquilizers Placidyl and Vailum. Finally, four drugs were found in "significant" quantities: Codeine, an opiate, Ethinamate, largely prescribed at the time as a "sleeping pill," Quaaludes, and a barbituate, or depressant, that has never been identified. It has also been rumored that Diazepam, Amytal, Nembutal, Carbrital, Sinutab, Elavil, Avental, and Valmid were found in his system at death.

The phrase "cardiac arrhythmia," in the context of the coroner's report, means little more than a stopped heart; the report initially tried to attribute the arrhythmia to cardiovascular disease, but Elvis' own personal physician has stated that Presley had no such chronic problems at the time.

Elvis' last words "Okay I won't"……

45 years ago today, Elvis left the building. Do you remember where you were when you heard the news?

RIP Elvis. Thank you on so many levels.

At 8:15 pm, on Aug. 15, 1965, The Beatles took the stage at Shea Stadium in New York City, marking the very first time a rock band would headline a stadium concert. Tickets for the show, sold merely by word of mouth created by kids who asked the concert promoter Sid Bernstein about the next Beatles show while he strolled in Central Park. The concert sold out in just three weeks, beating the stadium's old seating record with 56,000 seats sold.

Two thousand professionals were hired for security. The concert, filmed for BBC and NBC both, also featured openers Brenda Holloway and The King Curtis Band.

The attendance record would stand until Grand Funk Railroad out did it a few years later.

On Aug. 15, 1965, New York City was the place to be for great Rock and Roll. Just 4 years later to the day, the place to be was in Upstate New York in a little place called White Lake.

How many of you were there for the first time The Beatles played Shea, 57 years ago tonight! For our younger friends, this was a really big show for the time. It was record breaking.

And just 4 years later.... Woodstock.

"…..Well I came upon a child of God, he was walking along the road, and I asked him tell me where are you going and he told me…. Said I'm going down to Yasgur's farm going to join in a Rock and Roll band.."

53 years ago today, a whole bunch of people were heading to Upstate New York and many were already there.

There was a music festival starting that day.

It was a defining event for a generation. The festival came to be known simply as "Woodstock".

The Woodstock Festival started 53 years ago today at 5:07 EST when Richie Havens took the stage. He played for 1 hour and 53 minutes. He played every song he knew. He wasn't suppose to be the first performer, but because of the traffic problems, the other artists were having problems getting to the site. When Ritchie ran out of songs to sing, he improvised playing an old gospel song he knew. He came up with some lyric on the spot. It became one of his signature songs "Freedom".

When Richie started playing, there were still a lot of people not there yet. Here is what the crowd was like when he was playing.

In some ways it seems like a lifetime ago and in other ways, just a couple of years ago.

Led Zeppelin released their eighth studio LP "In Through the Out Door" on Aug. 15, 1979. It was their final album of entirely new material. It was recorded over a three-week period in November and December 1978 at ABBA's Polar Studios in Stockholm, Sweden. It was the last album released by the band before the death of drummer John Bonham in 1980.

The album was named by the group to describe its recent struggles amidst the death of Robert Plant's son Karac in 1977, and the taxation exile the band took from the UK. The exile resulted in the band being unable to tour on British soil for over two years, and trying to get back into the public mind was therefore like "trying to get in through the 'out' door."

In contrast to previous Led Zeppelin albums, "In Through the Out Door" had a much greater influence on the part of bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones and vocalist Robert Plant. John Paul Jones has said it was "mainly because I had a new toy. I had this big new keyboard. And Robert and I just got to rehearsals early, basically. With Zeppelin writing, if you came up with good things, and everybody agreed that they were good things, they got used. There was no formula for writing. So Robert and I, by the time everybody turned up for rehearsals, we’d written three or four songs. So we started rehearsing those immediately, because they were something to be getting on with."

Happy 43rd Birthday to "In Through The Out Door"!!!

Does anyone still have the original album? If you do some may not know the inner cover for the album is a water color. Just tip end of finger in water and it'll bring out the colors.

"....and the 27 club began.... it's not one you want to be in but damn it has some members..."

Legendary bluesman Robert Johnson, whose songs have been recorded by the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, the Allman Brothers and many other classic rockers, died 84 years ago today at age 27. As the story goes, Robert Johnson met his end in 1938 at the bottom of strychnine-laced bottle of whiskey. He was playing a county dance in Greenwood, Mississippi, when a woman gave him a poisoned drink. In some versions, the woman is the wife of a jealous bar owner who tricks her into poisoning Johnson. In others she is his own jealous lover. Johnson’s mom recounted what she heard of her son’s poisoning to Alan Lomax: “Some wicked girl or her boyfriend had give him poison and wasn no doctor in the world could save him, so they say." Johnson's mom goes on to describe the moment of his death: "When I went in where he at, he lay'in up in bed with his guitar crost his breast. Soon’s he saw me, he say, "Mama, you all I been wait'in for." "Here," he say, and give me his guitar. "Take and hang this thing on the wall, cause I done pass all that by. That what got me messed up, Mama. It’s the devil's instrument, just like you said. And I don’t want it no more." And he died while I was hangin his guitar on the wall.

RIP to the Original Bluesman. This is one of the only photographs of him that is known to exist.

"Be My Baby" by the Ronettes was released as a single on Philles Records on August 17, 1963.

Written by Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich, and Phil Spector, the song was the Ronettes' biggest hit, reaching number 2 in the U.S. and number 4 in the UK.

It is often ranked among the finest songs of the 1960s, and it is regarded by some as the greatest pop record of all time.

Happy 59th Birthday to “Be My Baby”!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News