ADVERTISEMENT

The Question i get asked the most often- Why Brad?

CUPLAYER1

Woodrush
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2004
I've made reference over the years to not knowing Coach Brownell before he was named Clemson's coach. And that's absolutely true. So why Brad?

When he was hired I checked to on his history like so many others did I assume. Pretty solid. Not spectacular. But certain things piqued my curiosity like wins over Butler and multiple tourney season at different schools. I was willing to hear him out.

Then he comes here and brings his style with him. This is where I really dig in and think we may have something big. While others were bellyaching about style and boring and defense, I'm watching Xs and Os like I've never seen before. Brilliant schemes and sets. Keep in mind I was a student during the Barnes years, so I wasn't as versed in the game back then. I have gained an appreciation of RB teachings since then, and this guy...our guy...was in that same realm of knowledge.

As I watched, I also listened. And I've repeated this since day 1 that I heard it and continued to do so for years (until renovations). ......Brad was having to change the culture, mindset, belief system, recruiting structure, operation structure, staff structure.....he was having to build the program from the ground up. Crazy to think anyone would have to do that to a program with 3 straight NCAAT appearances. But that's what had to happen to elevate the program and give us sustainability at the highest level.

That was the most important thing to me. Sustainability at the HIGHEST level. I didn't want a tourney appearance every 4 years. Or a S16 every 20 years. Or an E8 every 44 years. I want to win big consistently and Brad had a plan to move the program in that direction.

Now- it's tough. Very tough. He was facing the challenge of having to outplay and outcoach some of the best to ever do it. Winners with Duke's style of basketball against Duke is a tall task. Same with UNC. And FSU. And ....you get the point.

But here's the end game. If, and it's been a bigger if for us than any of us would like - if we can get to the ncaa tourney, this style travels and gives us a chance against any team in the tourney. That's why the near misses have hurt. Hunter Tyson would have been an absolute star last March. I'm not so sure a similar run wouldn't have occurred last year. The year we missed with Reed and Mitchell- that team was S16 good....at least.

But this style, with this coach is built for tourney ball. The familiarity within the league along with traditionally facing more talented rosters makes getting to this point very very difficult.

But we've all seem what happens when we do make it in.

Go Tigers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News