ADVERTISEMENT

********Thoughts on Cade Klubnik

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement
Later today in our weekly video-review segment, the focus is going to be how Clemson's increasingly nasty defensive front can -- and I say will -- take over Saturday's game against an OL and a QB that's had all sorts of problems with disruption this season.

Spent a lot of time this AM re-watching the offense vs. Syracuse, and Cade Klubnik was so damn good that it feels like an injustice to leave him out of the video review.

So we'll offer a mini-review of some of Cade's best stuff.

No, the guy wasn't perfect. Yes, he's still putting the ball in danger a bit too much for our tastes.

But man does he give this offense something different when he's extending plays and throwing darts on the run.

This is just fantastic on third down:

And here's something that was low-key really impressive Saturday: The mentality from Garrett Riley to take a big shot immediately after Syracuse suffered a deflating play defensively.

This is the play after the above run:

In the third quarter, Syracuse is reeling after it can't get off the field on third-and-4. Pass interference on a deep ball:

You sense the vulnerability and you go for their throat on the very next play. How often have we seen this mentality in play-calling in recent years? Not often, by my recollection.

Yes, I get it that the way Syracuse was playing defense put them in a lot of 1-on-1 matchups downfield and Clemson has to try to take advantage of that. But I love the idea of a shot play immediately after a play that has the defense wobbly.

And man, can you see the confidence from Klubnik on the throw alone. The mechanics are just pret-tay.

This is just high-level stuff:

And we'll close with the pivotal third-down conversion in the fourth quarter when Cade deftly avoids a rusher -- oh wait that's Mitchell Mayes -- and finds Tyler Brown at the sideline:

If we made a lot of Klubnik's poor decisions and inaccuracy earlier this season, we have to give the kid his due here.

He looks like a different player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News