ADVERTISEMENT

Today we discovered that fatpiggy

PrimeIsGettingComfortable

Valles Marineris
Sep 5, 2023
Knows how to search for threads with “inflation” in the title.

3.5% is what he’s freaking out about.

Everyone waiting for rates to be cut needs to look at historical interest rates. This is normal. ZIRP is not. Perhaps don’t finance that new pickup truck and instead pay off the one you are currently driving.

Knows how to search for threads with “inflation” in the title.

3.5% is what he’s freaking out about.

Everyone waiting for rates to be cut needs to look at historical interest rates. This is normal. ZIRP is not. Perhaps don’t finance that new pickup truck and instead pay off the one you are currently driving.

You're right in your assessment of rates but horribly wrong in your understanding. This is not normal for people living now. It isn't normal in terms of our vulnerability. But good luck with that message. It's using historic norms to ignore a present problem. That never works out well.

You're right in your assessment of rates but horribly wrong in your understanding. This is not normal for people living now. It isn't normal in terms of our vulnerability. But good luck with that message. It's using historic norms to ignore a present problem. That never works out well.
He’s trying (along with others) very hard to make it seem like all is well under Biden.

Trying very hard.

Oh please educate me on where I am horribly wrong.

He’s trying (along with others) very hard to make it seem like all is well under Biden.

Trying very hard.
To be fair, the lower middle class and above are doing extremely well right now thanks to the roaring stock market and wage growth people have seen.

It's the lower class that is taking a huge hit due to inflation, corporate greed, and the real estate market being a ****ing catastrophe.

I can’t remember who, but I agree with the poster who said it’s not as bad as republicans would have you believe and not as good as dems would have you believe. Considering half the country expected us to be in a crippling depression once Biden was elected, and that never happened, the conversation shifted to something else.

Trying very hard.
Let’s see…. A soft landing for the economy while significantly reducing inflation, avoiding being pulled into two wars, crime down sharply across the country, unemployment near historic lows, signed the CHIPs Act, oil independence and production at all-time highs, and the republican’s favorite - stock market at all time highs.

Yeah, we need to get rid of this guy and vote for the insurrectionist.

Oh please educate me on where I am horribly wrong.

I'm not responsible for educating you. But if we want to actually get back to cultivating a better society we need to at least agree that the truth matters and that includes factoring in all the data.

Our inventory of homes is horribly low. That's led to extreme increases in home prices. The urbanization of America has put that on steroids which has dramatically elevated costs for nearly everything. People are feeling the pinch. The amount of earnings it takes to raise a family in these areas is just awful. It's a significant factor in why people aren't having kids anymore which is a massive issue unto itself and a topic for another day.

At the same time we are trying to control inflation, we have new and extensive environmental regulations in nearly every field. We're forcing higher wages for unskilled labor jobs which are supposed to be pass through jobs and not careers. We're not producing energy at the rate we need to. We're not dealing with housing shortages. We're spending at unsustainable levels and everyone knows that. We have really reckless litigation and jury verdicts that are upending industries that are core to this country. There's pressure for higher costs in every area and we keep wondering why inflation won't cool? The government is hiring anyone when it should be doing the opposite. And let's not get into the run away costs in the insurance industry for which the replacement costs for cars, homes, etc. that they insure have totally gotten away from the premium structure they had in place. It's all become so insane it's hard to know where to start.

If you look top to bottom, it's hard to find anything we're actually doing right. Things are bad right now. Things are bad for so many people and passing that off as this is normal isn't something that's good. What we're doing now is almost as if we set out to break society completely in every way. You couldn't prescribe a worse cocktail.

To be fair, the lower middle class and above are doing extremely well right now thanks to the roaring stock market and wage growth people have seen.

It's the lower class that is taking a huge hit due to inflation, corporate greed, and the real estate market being a ****ing catastrophe.

I can’t remember who, but I agree with the poster who said it’s not as bad as republicans would have you believe and not as good as dems would have you believe. Considering half the country expected us to be in a crippling depression once Biden was elected, and that never happened, the conversation shifted to something else.

This is fundamentally false but you just keep on believing that if you want to. There's zero evidence to show this and I know so many people who are living with this. Given that I see people's finances for a living, I can tell you this couldn't be further from reality on the ground.

Basing how people are doing on the stock market is ignoring fundamentals for sugar highs. That isn't good long term fiscal policy.

This is fundamentally false but you just keep on believing that if you want to. There's zero evidence to show this and I know so many people who are living with this. Given that I see people's finances for a living, I can tell you this couldn't be further from reality on the ground.

Basing how people are doing on the stock market is ignoring fundamentals for sugar highs. That isn't good long term fiscal policy.
What is fundamentally false? There's 2 claims in my post.

The wage growth you mentioned isn't keeping up with inflation overall. The averages may say that because of exceptional situations but on average, that's not been what I have seen at all. There are so many hidden stresses and these are felt by business owners and others who would be classified as upper middle class or above.

We politicize everything these days. We need to come to some agreed upon norms for our economy and quit living on a yo-yo. Both sides hyperbolize things and curate lies to look like facts. For a lot of people, that present reality is pretty crippling. That's certainly the case in my business and those I work with regularly. And all of this is entirely unnecessary.

I'm not responsible for educating you. But if we want to actually get back to cultivating a better society we need to at least agree that the truth matters and that includes factoring in all the data.

Our inventory of homes is horribly low. That's led to extreme increases in home prices. The urbanization of America has put that on steroids which has dramatically elevated costs for nearly everything. People are feeling the pinch. The amount of earnings it takes to raise a family in these areas is just awful. It's a significant factor in why people aren't having kids anymore which is a massive issue unto itself and a topic for another day.

At the same time we are trying to control inflation, we have new and extensive environmental regulations in nearly every field. We're forcing higher wages for unskilled labor jobs which are supposed to be pass through jobs and not careers. We're not producing energy at the rate we need to. We're not dealing with housing shortages. We're spending at unsustainable levels and everyone knows that. We have really reckless litigation and jury verdicts that are upending industries that are core to this country. There's pressure for higher costs in every area and we keep wondering why inflation won't cool? The government is hiring anyone when it should be doing the opposite. And let's not get into the run away costs in the insurance industry for which the replacement costs for cars, homes, etc. that they insure have totally gotten away from the premium structure they had in place. It's all become so insane it's hard to know where to start.

If you look top to bottom, it's hard to find anything we're actually doing right. Things are bad right now. Things are bad for so many people and passing that off as this is normal isn't something that's good. What we're doing now is almost as if we set out to break society completely in every way. You couldn't prescribe a worse cocktail.
Sounds like you are asking for more government intervention instead of embracing the free market.

I 100% agree with you that housing inventory is a huge issue. But that is due to NIMBYism and not something the federal government can control. Cities that are pro-build are stealing talent and business away from those that aren’t. The system is working as it was intended, though not fast enough for you which I understand.

I also agree that insurance rates are out of control, but would rather let the free market solve that than the government try to step in with a solution.

Everything else you said is pure conjecture. We are in the beginning stages of another economic boom with AI. A decade ago everyone was terrified that China was going to lap us. Well, China is a mess and the center of the AI revolution is once again in San Francisco. Space is the other revolution that is happening. It ain’t just Space X, but hundreds of companies revolutionizing how we will communicate, compute, and manufacture are being built today.

As long as we don’t vote in a dictator, this country will continue to 🚀. We are all incredibly lucky to be citizens of this great country.

Reactions: yoshi121374
The wage growth you mentioned isn't keeping up with inflation overall. The averages may say that because of exceptional situations but on average, that's not been what I have seen at all. There are so many hidden stresses and these are felt by business owners and others who would be classified as upper middle class or above.

We politicize everything these days. We need to come to some agreed upon norms for our economy and quit living on a yo-yo. Both sides hyperbolize things and curate lies to look like facts. For a lot of people, that present reality is pretty crippling. That's certainly the case in my business and those I work with regularly. And all of this is entirely unnecessary.
I mean, the data doesn't support your first claim at all. On average, wages are outperforming inflation, and it looks like your daily encounters are the outlier here. I never said everything was rosy for everyone, just that for the lower middle class and higher, people are doing much better than the lower class.

Fair take.

Lol at any Einstein using the Stock market as any sort of barometer for the vast majority of people or the economy in general. The price to dividend ratio is stupid high and 70% of stock are owned by old people hanging on till the bitter end to save their nest egg. I stopped arguing with these delusional sorts. They couldn’t see reality if it slapped them in the face. Any defense of the current administration or the horrible financial state of this country is ludicrous at best, simply insane at worst. All the major markers are as bad or worse than 1929 or any other year before a major collapse. The EU and China are in even worse condition and we go down the rest of the world economy will crash like the house of cards it is.

Reactions: loveoysters

Out of curiosity, what industry do you work in? Sounds like you are experiencing some pain.

I'm a mortgage loan officer.
That makes sense why you are feeling pain but I’m surprised you are blaming the government. We went through the biggest real estate boom I’ve seen in my lifetime. That won’t last forever.

Real estate has always been boom and bust, but the federal govt has nothing to do with this just like it had nothing to do with the boom during Covid.

Lol at any Einstein using the Stock market as any sort of barometer for the vast majority of people or the economy in general. The price to dividend ratio is stupid high and 70% of stock are owned by old people hanging on till the bitter end to save their nest egg. I stopped arguing with these delusional sorts. They couldn’t see reality if it slapped them in the face. Any defense of the current administration or the horrible financial state of this country is ludicrous at best, simply insane at worst. All the major markers are as bad or worse than 1929 or any other year before a major collapse. The EU and China are in even worse condition and we go down the rest of the world economy will crash like the house of cards it is.
So what you're saying is we're doing the best out of every peer country in the world, and it's still not enough?

It's almost like it's a global issue, and thanks to the strong leadership of Sleepy Joe, we're leading the world in recovery. Sounds like a good case for another 4 years of Biden!

Sounds like you are asking for more government intervention instead of embracing the free market.

I 100% agree with you that housing inventory is a huge issue. But that is due to NIMBYism and not something the federal government can control. Cities that are pro-build are stealing talent and business away from those that aren’t. The system is working as it was intended, though not fast enough for you which I understand.

I also agree that insurance rates are out of control, but would rather let the free market solve that than the government try to step in with a solution.

Everything else you said is pure conjecture. We are in the beginning stages of another economic boom with AI. A decade ago everyone was terrified that China was going to lap us. Well, China is a mess and the center of the AI revolution is once again in San Francisco. Space is the other revolution that is happening. It ain’t just Space X, but hundreds of companies revolutionizing how we will communicate, compute, and manufacture are being built today.

As long as we don’t vote in a dictator, this country will continue to 🚀. We are all incredibly lucky to be citizens of this great country.

There is no free market. There hasn't been for a long time. The illusion of such a thing is ridiculous. We have a healthy need for some guardrails but not the interventionism we've seen in the past or in the present. That's a very complex issue to get into and no one really has all the answers. It's all so speculative at this point.

I'm talking about that which we know is reality. What we have now is as close to a dictator as we've had since FDR. We lost our way in the early 1900's and we've never found it again. I don't know how we can possibly go backward to fix all that we've gone wrong with.

That makes sense why you are feeling pain but I’m surprised you are blaming the government. We went through the biggest real estate boom I’ve seen in my lifetime. That won’t last forever.

Real estate has always been boom and bust, but the federal govt has nothing to do with this just like it had nothing to do with the boom during Covid.

This line of reasoning is why it's almost certainly a waste of my time to argue with you about this. My earnings were clockwork before this other than 2020 when they exploded for a year. The year you say the Feds had nothing to do with while interest rates were near zero which is set by... you know... the government. But this isn't about my situation. It's about the financial reality I see every day with the people I work with. Very few get to see what's under the hood the way folks in my line of work do. The reality does not comport with takes like yours.

Government has played a tremendous role in almost all of these problems because they've tried to take on these problems. Generally, whatever they touch they blow to pieces. We have very poor fiscal policy and have for a long time. The economic cycle will go up and down for sure and that's just part of things. There will even be some boom and bust. That's just part of life. What we don't need is so much intervention and we certainly don't need a singular body like the Fed regulating everything.

There is no free market. There hasn't been for a long time. The illusion of such a thing is ridiculous. We have a healthy need for some guardrails but not the interventionism we've seen in the past or in the present. That's a very complex issue to get into and no one really has all the answers. It's all so speculative at this point.

I'm talking about that which we know is reality. What we have now is as close to a dictator as we've had since FDR. We lost our way in the early 1900's and we've never found it again. I don't know how we can possibly go backward to fix all that we've gone wrong with.
You last paragraph lost me. There is zero evidence to support that this country isn’t in great shape.

This line of reasoning is why it's almost certainly a waste of my time to argue with you about this. My earnings were clockwork before this other than 2020 when they exploded for a year. The year you say the Feds had nothing to do with while interest rates were near zero which is set by... you know... the government. But this isn't about my situation. It's about the financial reality I see every day with the people I work with. Very few get to see what's under the hood the way folks in my line of work do. The reality does not comport with takes like yours.

Government has played a tremendous role in almost all of these problems because they've tried to take on these problems. Generally, whatever they touch they blow to pieces. We have very poor fiscal policy and have for a long time. The economic cycle will go up and down for sure and that's just part of things. There will even be some boom and bust. That's just part of life. What we don't need is so much intervention and we certainly don't need a singular body like the Fed regulating everything.
Maybe you should read up on the Federal Reserve. It operates independently of the federal government. Frankly, you should direct your grievances to that org because they were the ones who misjudged inflation as transitory.

And you have quickly forgotten that had the federal govt not stepped in during the regional bank run, we would be in dire straits.

• Haha
Reactions: Cabotiger
Maybe you should read up on the Federal Reserve. It operates independently of the federal government. Frankly, you should direct your grievances to that org because they were the ones who misjudged inflation as transitory.

And you have quickly forgotten that had the federal govt not stepped in during the regional bank run, we would be in dire straits.

The chair of the Fed is appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. It's supposed to be an independent body but if you are saying they aren't political, you're ignoring reality. The former head of the Fed is our Treasury Secretary right now. That's just gross.

Like I said, you're going to ignore everything like massive deficits, rising debt, long term issues with liquidity and the fact that no one is dealing with the solvency issue with our entitlement programs. We also have a broken tax system and a government that can't seem to satisfy its appetite for other people's money.

There's a time for intervention by the government. It has a role to play in things that happen. What you're missing is that federal intervention and federal participation are two different things. There's far too much of the latter. That you think our country is in great shape is remarkable. We're in anything but that. And for the record, if the GOP takes over the House, Senate and Presidency this election; things won't improve in fundamental ways, so my argument isn't a political one.

Reactions: Cabotiger
The chair of the Fed is appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. It's supposed to be an independent body but if you are saying they aren't political, you're ignoring reality. The former head of the Fed is our Treasury Secretary right now. That's just gross.

Like I said, you're going to ignore everything like massive deficits, rising debt, long term issues with liquidity and the fact that no one is dealing with the solvency issue with our entitlement programs. We also have a broken tax system and a government that can't seem to satisfy its appetite for other people's money.

There's a time for intervention by the government. It has a role to play in things that happen. What you're missing is that federal intervention and federal participation are two different things. There's far too much of the latter. That you think our country is in great shape is remarkable. We're in anything but that. And for the record, if the GOP takes over the House, Senate and Presidency this election; things won't improve in fundamental ways, so my argument isn't a political one.
I choose to be an optimist. I’ve never been more confident in this country. No other country comes close to the economic opportunities of the US. The only way we **** it up is by electing a dictator.

There will always be negatives. Inflation comes and goes. Recessions come and go. Our national debt is a concern, no doubt. But I am confident that we will figure this out. Just like I am confident that we will figure out the climate-related issues we are experiencing.

You can never underestimate the resilience of the American economy. It’s proven time and time again to be the most powerful force in the world. If you choose to dwell on the negatives, that’s on you. But millions of people are seizing the opportunities that this country provides.

I mean, the data doesn't support your first claim at all. On average, wages are outperforming inflation, and it looks like your daily encounters are the outlier here. I never said everything was rosy for everyone, just that for the lower middle class and higher, people are doing much better than the lower class.

It depends on how you calculate inflation as to whether this is true or not. If you use the standard the government used prior to 1990, then inflation is much higher and has been for some time. If you use the current standard then it isnt that bad. The truth is you really cannot trust the government's numbers at any point as they manipulate how they collect and report data based on what they are trying to accomplish. All political parties are at fault for doing this as they want to show how good the Economy is while in power, and how bad the economy is when not in power. The biggest changes to how CPI-U was calculated started occurring in the 1990's.

It depends on how you calculate inflation as to whether this is true or not. If you use the standard the government used prior to 1990, then inflation is much higher and has been for some time. If you use the current standard then it isnt that bad. The truth is you really cannot trust the government's numbers at any point as they manipulate how they collect and report data based on what they are trying to accomplish. All political parties are at fault for doing this as they want to show how good the Economy is while in power, and how bad the economy is when not in power. The biggest changes to how CPI-U was calculated started occurring in the 1990's.

Yup - initially it was used as a way to cut social security obligations since increases as inflation-based. Inflation has been underreported for 30 years. That being said, it’s been fairly tame and I would argue the cost of living pain comes from NIMBYism preventing more housing and greater density, as well as increased regulation that taxes businesses forcing them to raise prices or delay going public, and finally policies that are widening the wealth gap.

You really are going to try to defend this tweet and the BS it is trying to spread?

You don't feel like maybe these dates were chosen to capitalize on the best and worse while ignoring the huge factors?

This is sad even for @TigerGrowls.
General Trump likes it and that's good enough for me. LOL!!

You really are going to try to defend this tweet and the BS it is trying to spread?

You don't feel like maybe these dates were chosen to capitalize on the best and worse while ignoring the huge factors?

This is sad even for @TigerGrowls.
Yep, I am. Just like you and your buddies prop up Biden’s job record compared to President Trump’s.

… No mention of that small Global Pandemic that happened at the end of Trump?

It's the end result that matters and the net sum is strongly in the negative mainly due to the staggering inflation caused by China Joe Biden. He owns it and nothing will change that.
You're arguing with one of the biggest trolls and I'm convinced he's just one of 3-4 handles from one person. Neither are very intelligent but try hard to impress while wowing their other low IQ followers and economically challenged libs.

Good on you for wasting the time, but everytime I read something they post it's curiously similar to his.
There is a reason he "ignored" many on the recruiting board. He's useless and ignorant when it comes to sports.

You're arguing with one of the biggest trolls and I'm convinced he's just one of 3-4 handles from one person. Neither are very intelligent but try hard to impress while wowing their other low IQ followers and economically challenged libs.

Good on you for wasting the time, but everytime I read something they post it's curiously similar to his.
There is a reason he "ignored" many on the recruiting board. He's useless and ignorant when it comes to sports.
You are one angry, miserable ****. Perhaps try some therapy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT