ADVERTISEMENT

UGA’s talent >>> Clemson’s talent

AvenueOfChampions

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2018
This is what you’re hearing and it’s being shoved down your throat. 1 - 85, based on recent recruiting, you’d probably have to take UGA and that’s important over the course of a season as injuries and fatigue of a long season play out.

BUT this is the first game and there’s only about 40 guys that will see significant snaps and affect the game.

So is UGA that much more talented than Clemson based on who is going to play? You might be surprised…

Looking at high school ratings isn’t perfect, but championship teams have highly rated recruits, especially along the line of scrimmage where it’s more crucial to have highly rated guys, so let’s start there:

Clemson vs UGA OL

Starters, likely contributors in ( )

6.1, 6.0, 5.8, 5.7, 5.7 (6.0)

6.1, 6.0, 5.9, 5.9, 5.9 (5.9, 5.9)

Which group is whose?

Ratledge, Greene, Fairchild, Wilson, Truss and Morris, the guys that UGA will walk out there on Aug 31st is listed 1st.

Leigh, Parks, Tate, Linthicum, Miller, with Sewell and Sadler are listed 2nd!!! Who knew!?!?

Don’t want to make this post massive, but let’s do the same for likely players on the DL based off depth charts and practice reports

Clemson vs UGA DL

6.1, 5.8, 5.8, 5.7 (5.8, 5.8)

6.1, 6.0, 6.0, 6.0 (5.8, 5.8)

Which group is which?

Williams, Stackhouse, Brinson, Chambliss (McCloud, Ingram-Dawson) is UGA listed 1st

Woods, Parker, Capehart, Page (Hoefler, Williams)

Believe it or not, Clemson is rated higher amongst both lines of scrimmage, but don’t tell anyone.

I’ll dig into the other positions soon, but why does everyone just assume that UGA is that much more talented?

I think it’s 2 fold

1) UGA has consistently had a top 3 recruiting class

2) recency bias. All people can think of is how dominant UGA’s D and OL has been, churning out NFL generational dudes like Jordan Davis, Jalen Carter, Nolan Smith, Roquan Smith, Travon Walker

Those were all highly recruited guys that panned out big time. I contend that this group is talented, but not those guys…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News