ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today Hatchet Job on Clemson

This article won't hurt us.
We are about to get rolling again in crootin
and on the field!

Dabo needs to stop talking about this so much. Stop answering the questions

The capitalist comment is awfully difficult to defend, as was the Delta/baggage comment
Exactly. People on here are offended

What do you people expect.

Dabo is serving them up.

Everybody on here knows Dabo is looking out for the players.

Reality, he's just making it easy for Kirby to cut his ass when they go head to head.

Exactly. People on here are offended

What do you people expect.

Dabo is serving them up.

Everybody on here knows Dabo is looking out for the players.

Reality, he's just making it easy for Kirby to cut his ass when they go head to head.
yup. Right or wrong, he's given WAY too much ammo to rival recruiters lately. Like it isn't already hard enough for us to win elite recruits in today's game

Mostly because journalism is all but dead. There is only one acceptable view and writers, and more importantly their editors, know which view they are allowed to support. I guarantee you there are some sports writers who know this is not good for the the future of the game, but there is no way they are going against public sentiment. Even if they wanted to, mgmt would likely not allow it.
You usually at least see some viewpoint writhing the editorial page of even newspapers like the Washington Post and NYT that are famous for their liberal slant. But you see none of that at any of the major sports outlets.

I think you may be right that there was a lot more diversity of opinion when local newspapers were healthier. Their sports pages most likely had writers with various opinions that were more reflective of fans.

OAN and NewsMax haven't ever been guilty of that kind of stuff. Don't forget about InfoWars too!
I don’t really agree with that poster, but I’ll say that the outlets you cited are explicitly ideologically partisan. But even within those outlets, you’ll find differing opinions about issues. Somehow, sports media has become even more monolithic than explicitly partisan media outlets.

Reactions: Esso Porch
It always ticks me off when people say, like this writer, that college athletes don't get paid.

It's like the lie of "FREE public education".

It's TOTALLY DISHONEST!
At Clemson, it's not JUST $125,000 worth of education, it's also top tier football and strength training, incredible facilities and diet, medical care, perks like clothes, a living per diem, etc, etc, etc. All told, probably over 250k worth of goods and services.
And a quality education to prepare you to be successful in life.

It works out to about $80k/ year.

Not too bad. Esp considering MOST of them never play in the pros.

But let's not let the details get in the way.

(SIAP)

This is the absolute worst. A blatant recruiting boost for SEC. Guy who wrote it is their SEC columnist. Hard to read it and not get pissed of… (Today’s USA TODAY)

Dabo Swinney’s incomprehension of capitalism and his lousy metaphors won’t derail Clemson football. What could, though, is the veteran coach's persistent reluctance to embrace evolution within college athletics.

Swinney, in a recent interview with ESPN, painted himself as a relic while his sport speeds into a present where players are allowed to earn money off endorsements and may freely transfer without penalty.

Regardless of Swinney’s stance on these changes, the toothpaste shows no sign of re-entering the tube. Rather than adapt, Swinney clings to the myth of amateurism.

Swinney defended his $8.5 million salary by telling ESPN "we live in a capitalist society." Yet, he argued that college athletes earning money devalues their education. In Swinney’s phony capitalism, universities (many of which, including Clemson, are government funded), coaches and administrators bathe in riches from a product supplied by athletes who do not earn wages.

“The head of Delta probably makes a lot more than the people who are checking your baggage in," Swinney pontificated, "but those people are as vital as anybody."

Two issues with that metaphor: Baggage loaders earn wages; also, college athletes aren’t metaphorically loading luggage onto College Athletics Airlines. The athletes are the dang pilots. Without pilots, there is no airline industry. Without athletes, there is no college athletics.

As Swinney played the hits, he explained his distaste for transfers.

"We're also not doing our job as coaches and recruiters if we're bringing in a bunch of transfers," Swinney said, before adding that he’s open to transfers who address specific roster needs.

It's fair for Swinney to question whether relying on transfers would hamstring a program from signing, retaining and developing talent, but surely Clemson can add some impact transfers without sacrificing its roster model, particularly to help offset 11 departed transfers.

While Swinney is wary of transfers, rival South Carolina added A-list quarterback Spencer Rattler and nemesis Alabama welcomed three all-conference-caliber transfers.

While Swinney worries about whether endorsement deals are fool’s gold for athletes, Texas A&M signed a No. 1-ranked recruiting class and Tennessee earned a commitment from five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava. To what degree NIL deals influenced those developments is difficult to quantify, but know this: Before last summer’s NIL policy change, the Aggies had never signed a No. 1-ranked recruiting class, and Tennessee hasn’t signed a five-star quarterback since 2002.

While Swinney clings to the past, SEC schools are using the transfer portal and an unregulated NIL market to enhance their grip on the future.

Swinney isn’t the only coach bemoaning changes that prefaced an offseason of unprecedented wheeling and dealing mimicking professional free agency, minus the contracts.

But, like it or not, he must play the hand dealt.

Nick Saban’s adaptability to on- and off-field changes has helped keep Alabama at the head of the table for more than a decade. Last summer, Saban was quick to tout that quarterback Bryce Young had bagged endorsements worth about a million bucks.

That served as a bat signal to recruits: Playing for Alabama can generate big bucks.

Swinney’s message, by comparison: Relish that free education, kiddos.

I've always been about education and the collegiate model and the collegiate experience," he told ESPN, "and I don't think what's been created now is healthy for the game."

Never mind that earning coin is not proven to detract from "the college experience."

South Carolina coach Shane Beamer should remind recruits of Swinney’s comments at every opportunity. Erect billboards screaming: Play for the Gamecocks, where we believe maximizing athletes' profitability enhances the college experience … unlike the fuddy-duddy down the road.

There’s room for an athlete to compete at a high level, collect NIL deals and earn a degree. Universities and their employees should welcome the responsibility of providing athletes with the education, support and structure to manage those responsibilities.

Under Swinney, Clemson’s success throughout the 2010s was trumped only by Alabama. But in an era when players can earn money off endorsements and freely shop themselves to other schools, the coaches who embrace and trumpet their athletes’ profitability seem best-equipped to attract and retain talent.

Swinney’s resistance to evolutions within his sport threatens Clemson's standing, while SEC programs charge into the new frontier.

Blake Toppmeyer is an SEC Columnist for the USA TODAY Network. Follow him on Twitter @btoppmeyer.
And you read USA Today, What do expect?

It was a comment. It wasn't a position.

For once I want one of these media members to acknowledge that, yes, there might be some educational drawbacks to allowing unfettered transfers and the rapid shift to pay-for-play.

Amid the almost universal media applause for opening up the transfer portal, I don't recall one of them saying: "Wait, this could mean a lot more kids aren't going to graduate and that wouldn't be good."

And now that it's virtually assured that loads of transfers have effectively dropped out of college, I don't see any of these media folks even coming close to any self-scrutiny and acknowledging that they missed on the most damaging unintended consequence of all (that being the education part).

Dabo certainly hasn't said all the right things on this, but one thing he's been consistent on is the educational part.

So yeah, when I see yet another writer totally gloss over it by saying "it hasn't been proven" that this new landscape is going to hurt the educational part, I'm going to make note of Dabo's genuine concern for it and attention to it.
Spot on as usual LW. In the moment these comments can be twisted to look bad. The top 5% in CFB will be just fine. As a former player, I’m well aware of the inflated sense of self worth and the “I’m not playing because coach doesn’t like me guy”. Many of those guys are jumping in the portal. Let’s start doing stories on the amount of those guys left without a chair. That stuff is real and I hope real journalists (what few are left) start to look into that dark side of this “free market”. Like almost everything, there is a winner and a loser here.

It always ticks me off when people say, like this writer, that college athletes don't get paid.

It's like the lie of "FREE public education".

It's TOTALLY DISHONEST!
At Clemson, it's not JUST $125,000 worth of education, it's also top tier football and strength training, incredible facilities and diet, medical care, perks like clothes, a living per diem, etc, etc, etc. All told, probably over 250k worth of goods and services.
And a quality education to prepare you to be successful in life.

It works out to about $80k/ year.

Not too bad. Esp considering MOST of them never play in the pros.

But let's not let the details get in the way.
Why would the value of what Clemson provides have anything to do with them earning money from a second job while they are in school? Why is an athlete any different than a kid on academic scholarship? And why on earth should Dabo care as long as they go to school, come to practice, give 110%, and rub that rock on Saturdays?

Just a thought…Dabo started out making $800k per year as head coach and has built this program to what it is today…he’s earned every penny. What has an 18-22 year old earned? Especially when a high school kid is getting $1 million dollar or more NIL deals?

The system is definitely a step in the right direction but the Wild West needs to be toned down a bit.

I believe Dabo is spot on that NIL needs to be tied to college education. That’s what the players are there for…or should be there for. Given that most won’t ever see an NFL practice field…

I’m happy Dabo is standing his ground as not all negative press is bad press. I don’t feel that much will change…the players that are attracted to Clemson and playing for Dabo …will still choose Clemson.

For once I want one of these media members to acknowledge that, yes, there might be some educational drawbacks to allowing unfettered transfers and the rapid shift to pay-for-play.

Amid the almost universal media applause for opening up the transfer portal, I don't recall one of them saying: "Wait, this could mean a lot more kids aren't going to graduate and that wouldn't be good."

And now that it's virtually assured that loads of transfers have effectively dropped out of college, I don't see any of these media folks even coming close to any self-scrutiny and acknowledging that they missed on the most damaging unintended consequence of all (that being the education part).

Dabo certainly hasn't said all the right things on this, but one thing he's been consistent on is the educational part.

So yeah, when I see yet another writer totally gloss over it by saying "it hasn't been proven" that this new landscape is going to hurt the educational part, I'm going to make note of Dabo's genuine concern for it and attention to it.
Well said Larry

Wait … I thought players do get paid and benefits like free education, untold amounts of gear, meals, travel, etc. Not to mention the exposure of playing for one of the best programs in the country. Does anyone know the estimated value of a college scholarship and these added bonuses for football players? Rings, bowl gear…🤷🏼‍♂️
I hear you, the value is astronomical, not taxed, and never mentioned by those whining about player “compensation “ let them pay income taxes on literally everything they receive from a school as well as nil. The total value for one year at a major D1 program would exceed $200,000 easily. Fair is fair. I’m sure the IRS will at some point say the same thing, and this whole thing will come crashing down.
Im sure they’d love the minor league football alternative- get paid $300 a week. Ride in a bus for 10 hrs a day between venues and stay in stinky motels. Woo Hoo!!

I agree with some of this, but the part about schools “allowing them to attend” is a huge reach imo. Schools “going all out to try and convince them to attend because they can help them win football games and ultimately make a lot of money” would be more accurate.
And they are given way more opportunities and resources by which to succeed because of their gift. How many would be accepted into Clemson if they were not athletically gifted? So yes, they are allowed to attend and they both reap a reward for their attendance.

You know why they haven’t acknowledged it? Because they are so bought into professionalizing college sports that they don’t care about graduation. It’s quaint to them at this point.

Reactions: ClemsonMullet
I hear you, the value is astronomical, not taxed, and never mentioned by those whining about player “compensation “ let them pay income taxes on literally everything they receive from a school as well as nil. The total value for one year at a major D1 program would exceed $200,000 easily. Fair is fair. I’m sure the IRS will at some point say the same thing, and this whole thing will come crashing down.
Im sure they’d love the minor league football alternative- get paid $300 a week. Ride in a bus for 10 hrs a day between venues and stay in stinky motels. Woo Hoo!!

Heres the thing about the tax idea. I guarantee you that the crowd that says the athletes should be paid (because the coaches make millions) believe that nothing that the athletes currently receive should change and that they should get hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions on top of it. Most of these same people don’t realize that while college football programs take in tens of millions of dollars, lots of programs already spend more than they make.

A seldom mentioned potential flaw to paying the athletes is the Title IX issues. I have no idea how that plays into it. Can the school have some athletes as employees and some as traditional student-athletes? Can they be paid differently? I have no idea and don’t presume to know.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
(SIAP)

This is the absolute worst. A blatant recruiting boost for SEC. Guy who wrote it is their SEC columnist. Hard to read it and not get pissed of… (Today’s USA TODAY)

Dabo Swinney’s incomprehension of capitalism and his lousy metaphors won’t derail Clemson football. What could, though, is the veteran coach's persistent reluctance to embrace evolution within college athletics.

Swinney, in a recent interview with ESPN, painted himself as a relic while his sport speeds into a present where players are allowed to earn money off endorsements and may freely transfer without penalty.

Regardless of Swinney’s stance on these changes, the toothpaste shows no sign of re-entering the tube. Rather than adapt, Swinney clings to the myth of amateurism.

Swinney defended his $8.5 million salary by telling ESPN "we live in a capitalist society." Yet, he argued that college athletes earning money devalues their education. In Swinney’s phony capitalism, universities (many of which, including Clemson, are government funded), coaches and administrators bathe in riches from a product supplied by athletes who do not earn wages.

“The head of Delta probably makes a lot more than the people who are checking your baggage in," Swinney pontificated, "but those people are as vital as anybody."

Two issues with that metaphor: Baggage loaders earn wages; also, college athletes aren’t metaphorically loading luggage onto College Athletics Airlines. The athletes are the dang pilots. Without pilots, there is no airline industry. Without athletes, there is no college athletics.

As Swinney played the hits, he explained his distaste for transfers.

"We're also not doing our job as coaches and recruiters if we're bringing in a bunch of transfers," Swinney said, before adding that he’s open to transfers who address specific roster needs.

It's fair for Swinney to question whether relying on transfers would hamstring a program from signing, retaining and developing talent, but surely Clemson can add some impact transfers without sacrificing its roster model, particularly to help offset 11 departed transfers.

While Swinney is wary of transfers, rival South Carolina added A-list quarterback Spencer Rattler and nemesis Alabama welcomed three all-conference-caliber transfers.

While Swinney worries about whether endorsement deals are fool’s gold for athletes, Texas A&M signed a No. 1-ranked recruiting class and Tennessee earned a commitment from five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava. To what degree NIL deals influenced those developments is difficult to quantify, but know this: Before last summer’s NIL policy change, the Aggies had never signed a No. 1-ranked recruiting class, and Tennessee hasn’t signed a five-star quarterback since 2002.

While Swinney clings to the past, SEC schools are using the transfer portal and an unregulated NIL market to enhance their grip on the future.

Swinney isn’t the only coach bemoaning changes that prefaced an offseason of unprecedented wheeling and dealing mimicking professional free agency, minus the contracts.

But, like it or not, he must play the hand dealt.

Nick Saban’s adaptability to on- and off-field changes has helped keep Alabama at the head of the table for more than a decade. Last summer, Saban was quick to tout that quarterback Bryce Young had bagged endorsements worth about a million bucks.

That served as a bat signal to recruits: Playing for Alabama can generate big bucks.

Swinney’s message, by comparison: Relish that free education, kiddos.

I've always been about education and the collegiate model and the collegiate experience," he told ESPN, "and I don't think what's been created now is healthy for the game."

Never mind that earning coin is not proven to detract from "the college experience."

South Carolina coach Shane Beamer should remind recruits of Swinney’s comments at every opportunity. Erect billboards screaming: Play for the Gamecocks, where we believe maximizing athletes' profitability enhances the college experience … unlike the fuddy-duddy down the road.

There’s room for an athlete to compete at a high level, collect NIL deals and earn a degree. Universities and their employees should welcome the responsibility of providing athletes with the education, support and structure to manage those responsibilities.

Under Swinney, Clemson’s success throughout the 2010s was trumped only by Alabama. But in an era when players can earn money off endorsements and freely shop themselves to other schools, the coaches who embrace and trumpet their athletes’ profitability seem best-equipped to attract and retain talent.

Swinney’s resistance to evolutions within his sport threatens Clemson's standing, while SEC programs charge into the new frontier.

Blake Toppmeyer is an SEC Columnist for the USA TODAY Network. Follow him on Twitter @btoppmeyer.

saban said the same thing swinney did and far less eloquently. Saban said the latest changes were ruining the sport. I don’t think either of these guys have a problem with NIL. They both would like to see it tied to something like graduation.

Spot on as usual LW. In the moment these comments can be twisted to look bad. The top 5% in CFB will be just fine. As a former player, I’m well aware of the inflated sense of self worth and the “I’m not playing because coach doesn’t like me guy”. Many of those guys are jumping in the portal. Let’s start doing stories on the amount of those guys left without a chair. That stuff is real and I hope real journalists (what few are left) start to look into that dark side of this “free market”. Like almost everything, there is a winner and a loser here.

Absolutely.

It's possible to be in favor of a free market while also being fair-minded enough to honestly examine all aspects of that free market, warts and all.

I think so many of these media voices are so entrenched in a particular position/opinion that it's natural for them to ignore stuff that runs counter to that position. It's unfortunate.

As I've said for years, if you all don't understand the optics of a white guy living in a 20,000 Sq ft house making $9/year being so adament that players (many low income Black) shouldn't be paid, than nothing I say is going to make a difference. The media already looks for reasons to rip him. I get that he loves his players and he realizes that education will be the route for most of them, but it's still a bad look. But he's my guy and I love him, cringe worthy quotes and all v
Many do think it is all about the optics and the narrative for some people.

Some think Dabo's overwhelming commitment to his players, the way he continues to promote their long range success, works as hard to ensure than earn degrees as win games, how his players love him when they become pros, or teachers, or how he hires as many of them to work for him in a money making business and even how kids who transfer away from Clemson still promote the man and the astounding rate at which he wins football games, that he and Clemson will continue to have success. A great many people do not believe what the media has to say about the optics and the narrative.Many think that the media is always slanted and the sports media always supports the SEC over any and everyone else.

What I recall is that the sports media has championed the NIL and the Transfer Portal for a long long time. I think the implementation of those practices strikes most of us as inherently unlikely to benefit college football in the long run.

I think my job as a Clemson fan to try to defeat bad takes by no-name media guys that reflect badly on Dabo and Clemson.

I also think people like me, and perhaps you seem pretty silly trying to advise Dabo on how to improve his personal optics. That would be akin to me telling Warren Buffett how to make money. I think Dabo's optics are terrific nationally among high school coaches and among the people who have played and worked for him.

Go Tigers!!

Some think Dabo's overwhelming commitment to his players, the way he continues to promote their long range success, works as hard to ensure than earn degrees as win games, how his players love him when they become pros, or teachers, or how he hires as many of them to work for him in a money making business and even how kids who transfer away from Clemson still promote the man and the astounding rate at which he wins football games, that he and Clemson will continue to have success. A great many people do not believe what the media has to say about the optics and the narrative.Many think that the media is always slanted and the sports media always supports the SEC over any and everyone else.

What I recall is that the sports media has championed the NIL and the Transfer Portal for a long long time. I think the implementation of those practices strikes most of us as inherently unlikely to benefit college football in the long run.

I think my job as a Clemson fan to try to defeat bad takes by no-name media guys that reflect badly on Dabo and Clemson.

I also think people like me, and perhaps you seem pretty silly trying to advise Dabo on how to improve his personal optics. That would be akin to me telling Warren Buffett how to make money. I think Dabo's optics are terrific nationally among high school coaches and among the people who have played and worked for him.

Go Tigers!!
Exactamundo sir.
Our culture= style over substance, “optics” over comprehensive in-depth analysis, instant gratification over long range goals and success,
self promotion and wealth over everything and everyone else. Screw tradition and the people who will follow in my footsteps.

Go Tigers!!
I think you’ve got things right here. Optics depend on framing, and of course the people framing this issue have set things up in such a way that it’s very difficult to criticize anything they like without making “bad optics.”

Absolutely.

It's possible to be in favor of a free market while also being fair-minded enough to honestly examine all aspects of that free market, warts and all.

I think so many of these media voices are so entrenched in a particular position/opinion that it's natural for them to ignore stuff that runs counter to that position. It's unfortunate.
It’s also possible to be generally favorable to free markets without thinking it’s wrong to limit a market. In Irving Kristol’s words, “two cheers for capitalism,” but we can reserve that third cheer to consider whether a market is appropriate.

But you don’t even need to go that far into evaluation of the situation to more comprehensible describe things as they are, which I think is what you’re saying.

I wish Elon Musk would drop $100M into the recruiting coffers of a school like Wake Forest so they could have the top recruiting class for the foreseeable future and start kicking everyone's ass in the SEC (including us and the rest of college football)

That's the only way these guys will see how much they are hurting the sport......if they really care at all.

This article was written to only include negative takes on Dabo and to prop up what the SEC teams are doing supposedly in contrast to what Dabo does. This guys left out necessary facts that would actually be able to help a reader develop their own opinion.

did DJ and Bresee and other players not have NIL deals that supposedly Dabo is against?

did Clemson need a 5* QB transfer, or did it actually get one from Hunter Johnson. To go along with the one playing. And the one that is now enrolled?

and why not actually question why aTm has never had a top recruiting class until they were able to throw money at recruits.

what about all of UGAs players that are now leaving and entering the portal. Or do a followup in a year with how many of aTms players are still there and whether Rattler does anything in Columbia.

or since this guy is the SEC writer writing about a non SEC team. Why not mention other non SEC teams since he is now coloring outside the lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT