ADVERTISEMENT

USCe vs UNC - I want to hear what this board thinks (CPL chime in too)

acwill07

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2008
Pawleys Island, SC
There seems to be a majority on this board who thinks UNC is going to beat the gamecocks in Charlotte on that first Thursday night....I want to hear some reasoning. Because I don't see it. I know the gamecocks were bad last year, and I know their defense was awful, while UNC is going to have a very potent offense. UNC definitely has the better QB play, and the better overall talent at the skill positions (although Cooper will be the best player on the field on either team).

That being said, I think folks on this board are forgetting how bad the Tar Heel defense was last year. They were 50 times as bad as the gamecock defense. I know the rankings weren't that far apart, but on the hoof, if you watched those two defenses, it was evident that UNC not only lacked in the coaching department, they also simply didn't have the horses. The gamecock defense will not be fixed overnight, and they won't be a top 25 defense, but they will be vastly improved from last year, you can count on that. They brought in some DLinemen that will be able to contribute right away, and their stable of young talent in the secondary will be a year older and in my opinion will develop into the strength of that unit. Their LB corps is very good and was never the problem last season.

I just don't see how Gene Chizik is going to fix that in one offseason. Even with Marquise Williams, their WR's, and Elijah Hood, the gamecocks are still vastly more talented top to bottom IMO. The crowd will be about 60/40 in favor of the gamecock too IMO. USCe has a way better travel base and Charlotte is closer to Columbia than Chapel Hill.

The gamecocks tend to win these Thursday opening games against non conference opponents. I hate them and I don't want them to win, but if you're making me pick the game I'm taking the gamecocks in a close one....somewhere between 3-7 points. If the line stays at 3 or below in favor of the cocks, I'm betting them all day long. This will be a high scoring affair IMO even with the gamecocks not having a proven option at QB. I think their defense will be able to stop the Heels enough to pull this one out and simply out talent them.

I know quite a few of them disagree with this, but I figured it would be a fun topic to debate now that practice is about to start and the season is almost here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News