ADVERTISEMENT

Use of the N-Word and Racism at Clemson

EZTiger1997

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Jan 1, 2009
I graduated from Clemson in 1997. Came from California. I'm white.

What I observed:
- Holcomb dining area was largely segregated (naturally).
- I don't remember the n-work being commonly used, but it was used. In mixed race situations with people who had grown up together, it would get thrown around pretty casually. In these situations, there was no tone of malice, etc. In situations where only whites were around, the word would be used, but it typically carried judgement and prejudice in those uses. I remember there being a clear difference in tone/intent.
- People got a long, but there was typically white groups and black groups. Not so much mixed groups.

The university was founded by avowed racists and segregationists and has evolved from and all-white all-male institution to what it is today.

What did you experience in your time there? Is the university more or less racist/racially segregated than surrounding environments?

Reactions: undertheradar
There was definitely racism just like anywhere else. Honestly, there was stuff at the time that seemed pretty mild or we (white people) just looked past or were in denial about, but looking back was probably pretty bad. For example - back then, clothing with the Confederate flag on it was reasonably commonplace. Nowadays it's much less so.

Clemson has grown and learned like the rest of us. And in the same way there is still work left to do. We'd be fools to think otherwise.

I don't recall the N-word being thrown around though. I'm sure it was but not among the people I hung around. I may have heard it from a different crowd but I ignored it if I did.

Some of the fraternities were overtly racist...you know the ones.

Are any fraternities or sororities integrated? I don't recall any when I was at Clemson but I wasn't involved in it.

One frat was pretty well known for racism.

Last edited:
There was definitely racism. Honestly, stuff at the time that seemed pretty mild or we just looked past, but looking back was pretty bad. Back then, clothing with the Confederate flag on it was reasonably commonplace. Nowadays it's much less so.

Clemson has grown and learned like the rest of us. And in the same way there is still work left to do. We'd be fools to think otherwise.

Are any fraternities or sororities integrated? I don't recall any when I was at Clemson but I wasn't involved in it.

One frat was pretty well known for racism.
Its at every college in america

Reactions: RodnHe
I enrolled at Clemson in the Fall of 2004. I decided to attend Clemson with 2 of my best friends and all 3 of us lived on the 9th floor in Byrnes (1 was my roommate and the other was 2 doors down from us). The day after freshman move in the 3 of us met up with 2 other guys we knew from Columbia and walked towards downtown Clemson to grab some food. So as the 5 of us (all black) cross Bowman field to head towards the light a pickup truck with 3-4 white guys in it slows down, looks at us and they yell out “N***ERS!!!!!” We were all shocked... It was like something out of a movie. The truck sped off and we actually tried to chase it. To this day I’m glad we weren’t able to catch up to it because who knows what would’ve happened if we did.

We were all confused and angry. The problem only exacerbated those next few days when it felt like every other dorm window had a confederate flag in it. After a few weeks, we met a bunch of great people in Byrnes and across campus and we enjoyed our experience the next 4 years. Outside of a few blackface costume parties I personally didn’t experience any other overt acts of racism or hear the N word.

Last edited:

What I observed:
- I don't remember the n-work being commonly used, but it was used. In mixed race situations with people who had grown up together, it would get thrown around pretty casually. In these situations, there was no tone of malice, etc. In situations where only whites were around, the word would be used, but it typically carried judgement and prejudice in those uses. I remember there being a clear difference in tone/intent.
- People got a long, but there was typically white groups and black groups. Not so much mixed groups.

The university was founded by avowed racists and segregationists and has evolved from and all-white all-male institution to what it is today.

What did you experience in your time there? Is the university more or less racist/racially segregated than surrounding environments?

What I remember about Clemson around the same time as when you were there is that it was no different from a racial/sociological aspect as anywhere else in the South. You could seek out good people or bad people depending on your preference. While it was founded by people who had terrible views on racist issues, to my knowledge those views had no influences on the students or professors so I don't really get the significance of resurrecting that aspect of the school. If people want to change the name of the buildings or make some other cosmetic change, I have no problem with it. But lets not throw away everything that is good about Clemson despite the blemishes.

Reactions: jeffcoat
Sorry you had to deal with that crap @trich24. I know it’s used bc you hear too many stories of black people having to deal with it to deny it, but none of my friends ever used it. Can’t recall any time while I was there of hearing it. I don’t remember many confederate flags either except around the AGR house.

I enrolled at Clemson in the Fall of 2004. I decided to attend Clemson with 2 of my best friends and all 3 of us lived on the 9th floor in Byrnes (1 was my roommate and the other was 2 doors down from us). The day after freshman move in the 3 of us met up with 2 other guys we knew from Columbia and walked towards downtown Clemson to grab some food. So as the 5 of us (all black) cross Bowman field to head towards the light a pickup truck with 3-4 white guys in it slows down, looks at us and they yell out “N***ERS!!!!!” We were all shocked... It was like something out of a movie. The truck sped off and we actually tried to chase it. To this day I’m glad we weren’t able to catch up to it because who knows what would’ve happened if we did.

We were all confused and angry. The problem only exacerbated those next few days when it felt like every other dorm window had a confederate flag in it. After a few weeks, we met a bunch of great people in Byrnes and across campus and we enjoyed our experience the next 4 years. Outside of a few blackface costume parties I personally didn’t experience any other overt acts of racism or heard the N word.

Dude - that just sucks.

I wasn't there then (I was at Clemson in the mid/late 90s) but I did have a Confederate flag in my apartment at one point (not out the window though). Was in the name of "southern pride" or some damn thing. Made sense at the time.

I think I still have it but it's in a storage bin in my garage. Probably get rid of it eventually.

Reactions: trich24

We were all confused and angry. The problem only exacerbated those next few days when it felt like every other dorm window had a confederate flag in it. After a few weeks, we met a bunch of great people in Byrnes and across campus and we enjoyed our experience the next 4 years. Outside of a few blackface costume parties I personally didn’t experience any other overt acts of racism or heard the N word.
It goes both ways. Plenty of black racist in the world as well. I’ve seen many black folks be cruel and mean to Caucasian’s. A few bad apples can give groups a bad name. They definitely statistically commit way more crimes than other minority groups. Not sure why but those are cold hard facts.

Forgot about the prevalence of the flag and heritage argument. That was very new to a west coaster.

It’s a college town in the south. There is absolutely racism there, but there’s also racism at Georgia, Bama, USC, etc.

Racism is a sin issue, and it won’t be solved until Jesus comes back. The manifestation of racism via exclusion, verbal attacks, etc can’t be tolerated, but hatred will persist. There are racist people of every single skin color.

I cant even imagine ..... :(

I understand that I dont understand ...but I stand

What I observed:

This country was founded by the same kind of people.

Graduated in 98. It was my second night on campus as a freshman that me and a group of friends I was with were called the N word by some a-hole while walking past a frat house towards downtown. Fortunately before we pivoted to go have a conversation with the gentleman his friends pulled him inside and apologized. We were told pretty early on that you don't go through the frat quads at night alone. You could, but some asshole might yell some bullshit out the window at you. I was with a group that had the N word yelled at us again. That was freshman year also. Very similar to the first incident. 4th year won't go into much detail to protect the guilty, but a white member of the football team thought it would be cool to call me a N word but with the soft A. It was the night of the Super Bowl and everybody was drunk. He was with a bunch of his white friends, but told me I should be cool with it because it was cool with his teammates. I didn't agree, but my roommate pulled me into the room before I tried to fight all five of them. Those were the only times that I recall being called the N word on or around campus. I did have to intervene a few time when others (females) had to deal with that shit. There was also the issue with alleged KKK members acting black women in the pit. I think that was my Junior year, but not a hundred percent sure. After a meeting with the police where it was stated if they don't handle it we would it stopped. A lot of confederate flags hanging in windows. I grew up in SC so that doesn't bother me. You are just telling me who you are. That may seem like a lot and I imagine it is, but there were plenty of white people that were accepting and we even would get invited into some frat parties and get free beer. My dad was at Clemson for a while. I had it better than him.

Graduated in 98. It was my second night on campus as a freshman that me and a group of friends I was with were called the N word by some a-hole while walking past a frat house towards downtown. Fortunately before we pivoted to go have a conversation with the gentleman his friends pulled him inside and apologized. We were told pretty early on that you don't go through the frat quads at night alone. You could, but some asshole might yell some bullshit out the window at you. I was with a group that had the N word yelled at us again. That was freshman year also. Very similar to the first incident. 4th year won't go into much detail to protect the guilty, but a white member of the football team thought it would be cool to call me a N word but with the soft A. It was the night of the Super Bowl and everybody was drunk. He was with a bunch of his white friends, but told me I should be cool with it because it was cool with his teammates. I didn't agree, but my roommate pulled me into the room before I tried to fight all five of them. Those were the only times that I recall being called the N word on or around campus. I did have to intervene a few time when others (females) had to deal with that shit. There was also the issue with alleged KKK members acting black women in the pit. I think that was my Junior year, but not a hundred percent sure. After a meeting with the police where it was stated if they don't handle it we would it stopped. A lot of confederate flags hanging in windows. I grew up in SC so that doesn't bother me. You are just telling me who you are. That may seem like a lot and I imagine it is, but there were plenty of white people that were accepting and we even would get invited into some frat parties and get free beer. My dad was at Clemson for a while. I had it better than him.
A lot of the frat boys at colleges are racist for sure. Many are rich, spoiled little shitts. Black frats can be very racist as well.

Reactions: my95GTHO

What I observed:

I like how you let us know you are from California. Racism exists everywhere.

It goes both ways. Plenty of black racist in the world as well. I’ve seen many black folks be cruel and mean to Caucasian’s. A few bad apples can give groups a bad name. They definitely statistically commit way more crimes than other minority groups. Not sure why but those are cold hard facts.

Mods, when is Earle gonna be banned?

Attitudes and acceptance get better every generation. It's slower than we would like, I know. The main problem, and much tougher to solve, is wealth inequality. Charlotte acts like some liberal beacon, but our schools are pretty segregated. The well off white people live in Dilworth or Myers Park where the best schools are, or they just send their kids to private schools.

Reactions: my95GTHO
Name me a college or university in this country that has no racism. I'll sit back and wait for your list...

:eek:

Attitudes and acceptance get better every generation. It's slower than we would like, I know. The main problem, and much tougher to solve, is wealth inequality. Charlotte acts like some liberal beacon, but our schools are pretty segregated. The well off white people live in Dilworth or Myers Park where the best schools are, or they just send their kids to private schools.

I think the difference in things like jail terms, etc is partially due to this. If you or I get accused of a crime, we can get a decent lawyer but not a superstar.

Compare that to someone loaded with money. They're gonna probably get the best lawyer they can and get a lighter sentence because of that.

I continue to believe it will be a matter of a couple years before the name of Tillman Hall is (rightly) changed. Thought it was going to happen a couple years ago. Pressure will increase now.

As others have noted, racism IS everywhere. And in every walk of life. It should not be. And it should not be tolerated in any field. We all owe it to ourselves to learn more about our biases, known and unknown. I just ordered White Fragility on Amazon to study the issue more. Figure rather than pointing fingers at others, self introspection is the place to start.

A lot of the frat boys at colleges are racist for sure. Many are rich, spoiled little shitts. Black frats can be very racist as well.
Agree, but that's because they are made up of people. We all have bias to some extent. I get irritated when I call Lowrance customer service and get someone in india that speaks english as a 3rd language. See I am a brown caucasian, a believer in Christ, a father, a son, a brother, husband, business owner, hunter, fisherman. But I am uniquely me. I am an individual. I don't want to get lumped in with any group. Until we start treating people as individuals instead of grouping them together, the problem will never end. This isn't a "black or white" problem...Like Dabo said, It's a sin problem. Cain didn't kill Able because he wasn't tan or was bald. He murdered him because he had sin in his heart. I haven't heard of a murder or hate crime yet that didn't involve sin. Racism, either way, white on black, black on white, brown on dark brown, all stems from sin.

Many people of color face incredible challenges and inequities that I dislike, more so than most caucasians. But we all have our challenges. I don't know what it's like to walk in your shoes any more than you know what it's like to walk in mine. But I do believe that we will all stand before our Creator to give account one day, for what we do and for every word spoken.

no, I am not joking at all. Racism is much more prevalent in the deep south than it is in other parts of the country. That's not exactly a burning hot take

But of course there's people on this board that can't even agree on that. Nobody can admit to anything. So sad and childish
Yeah because that’s not true. The south is very complicated and this is a very complicated discussion. There is racism everywhere and different types of racism in those places. To make a blanket statement like that doesn’t get us anywhere.

Yeah because that’s not true. The south is very complicated and this is a very complicated discussion. There is racism everywhere and different types of racism in those places. To make a blanket statement like that doesn’t get us anywhere.
good lord

I think the difference in things like jail terms, etc is partially due to this. If you or I get accused of a crime, we can get a decent lawyer but not a superstar.

Compare that to someone loaded with money. They're gonna probably get the best lawyer they can and get a lighter sentence because of that.
For sure. It's not fair. George Soros can get a much better team of lawyers than you or I can. There will always be those in power, the wealthy, Those that work hard and are more successful, less successful, Some that are really smart, and some that aren't too bright.

It’s a college town in the south. There is absolutely racism there, but there’s also racism at Georgia, Bama, USC, etc.

Racism is a sin issue, and it won’t be solved until Jesus comes back. The manifestation of racism via exclusion, verbal attacks, etc can’t be tolerated, but hatred will persist. There are racist people of every single skin color.

There is racism in every corner of this country and most others. It is as big of a problem in the North East and other bastions of liberalism as it is anywhere, just different forms of it, maybe not as overt. Had a roommate who was an AA during my early years after i graduated and he was telling me his dad had always told him to not bring home somebody to "light." He was a great guy and really felt like a duck out of water in the AA community in a lot ways b/c he was different than the stereotypes. Every community has folks that don't quite fit in to the expected norms.

Reactions: Paws14 and DaBadass

What I observed:

Can you please explain to the rest of us why you fell the need to belabor the point? Because I truly don't understand your motive.

Yes....racism is bad.
Yes....Clemson is located in the South
Yes.....use of the "N" word by anyone other than the race itself is not good.
Yes.....murder is evil (referring of course to how this all began)

If I knew how to post a GIF of someone beating a dead horse I would.

Oh...………...and another thing......I really don't think you attended Clemson.

there's no talking to someone who won't even admit that racism is more widespread in the deep south than it is in other parts of the country

I will offer my experience and that of my father. Because your view is also part of the problem in trying to make a blanket statement about a geographic region. This issue is not regional it’s an epidemic in the entire country and my accounts will highlight that point.

My wife is from Michigan and we have traveled there often. I am from the south, born in GA and grew up in SC. The language used about and perspective on people of color in that state is by far worse than anything I have been around growing up.

My father has traveled all over this planet as a part of our nations special forces and he has told me multiple times the biggest racists he has ever seen were in Massachusetts when he was there for training. And this is from a man that grew up going to school during the segregation and integration time period. He also lived the majority of his life in GA and SC.

I am lucky that my parents always taught me to respect everyone no matter who they were and they would both bust my tail if they ever felt I didn’t live up to that teaching.

@DaBadass

What I observed:

Do we really need another thread? No offense but I imagine the tenor on campus is quite different on campus now that it was a quarter century ago when you were there.

there's no talking to someone who won't even admit that racism is more widespread in the deep south than it is in other parts of the country
In many cases it’s worse in the North. Isn’t there where all the riots and problems start?
Blacks and whites actually get along pretty well in the South. Sorry to burst your CNN bubble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT