ADVERTISEMENT

We’re about to lose out on one of the greatest Clemson teams ever

Why couldn’t this shit happen back in 2005 when we sucked ass???

2019 was pegged as a rebuilding year and we made the natty... missing out on Trevor’s Junior year and Etienne’s surprise decision to come back to school just sucks.

*sigh*
Agree ....and this is not redundant....what is redundant is the dumb assess continually talking about having the season.... have you had covid ?? It sucks if you survive.and worse if you die.

The national media didn't cause 130,000 and counting people to die. The national media didn't cause the U.S. with 4% of the world's population to have 25% of the world's coronavirus cases, The national media didn't cause our country to ignore the virus for the first two months. The national media didn't politicize the wearing of masks. Trump made a huge tactical error when he refused to believe the science of the pandemic because it didn't match his view of having a strong economy for the election in November. Had he looked and acted presidential when this thing started he would have been unbeatable. Now the virus is so widespread that it can't be contained and it will lead to his humiliation in November.
The media led to false positive reporting, and has made people think it’s dangerous.
The US is by far the leading tester in the world, thus we have the most positives.
India has 17% of the worlds population, but tests around 4,100 people per million compared with a global average of over 29,000 tests per million. The US tests 121,000 per million.
We don’t have the most covid, we’re just one of the few people being honest about how much covid we have, and we’re also treating it better than anyone which is why we have the lowest mortality rate. You can thank Trump for that because he’s handled it well despite the entire Democratic Party and the media attempting to convince people otherwise.

seems like at least the press would be honest

"we think around 130k have died- but really have no clue"

We do have a clue.

It's literally on the CDC website.

I guess somehow, despite 2.5 branches of government being run by the GOP, that somehow even the government is STILL anti-Trump! The CDC is, for no discernible reason, trying to fear monger!

The mental gymnastics some of y'all do is literally unbelievable.

--Mr. DT

hv7aYwe.gif

We’ve actually had a larger number of people as a % of the country’s population die from an infectious disease without the media being in hysterics about it and without shutting down sports, schools, or the entire economy. In 1968 the year of Woodstock, riots, assassinations, protests and the like we had a Pandemic far worse than this one. We had college sports and we didn’t shutdown schools.

The media didn’t cause the pandemic but they have caused irrational fear related to it.

It’s sad that many have died but average age of death with Covid is 81 which exceeds the average life expectancy of 77 in this country. Let that sink in.

In no way shape or form should we be debating the health of college athletes with this virus. We can debate how best to protect the elderly and to keep them away from college games but we should not be debating whether to have the games or not. That debate is due to the fear mongering of the media intent on creating an atmosphere of fear and chaos in the public eye.

Of the 112k deaths in the us attributed to COVID, about 46k were folks under the age of 75. I'm not gonna do the math, but it's obvious that theresalmost no statistical way for that assertion to be correct. Wherever it came from.

Article from the economist that is behind a paywall but there's a chart to look at. That number is just wrong man.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...ths-are-analysed-by-age-america-is-an-outlier

I’m still hoping you’re wrong but I’ve realized there is a faction in this country and even a few on this board that are intent on destroying the fabric of our country and society in order to win an election in November.

There hasn't been a single hospitalization in college sports due to Covid 19. Yet people are still posting drivel about positive tests that are mostly asymptomatic.

Why can’t headlines read “despite increase in positive cases younger healthier people still largely unaffected” ?

Then couple that with a decision to keep older and susceptible people away from the games?

Why isn’t anyone talking about the athletes that will lose out? Why isn’t anyone talking about jobs lost? Why isn’t anyone talking about sports programs being canceled? Qualk went on an epic rant Friday on WCCP about all of the people that will lose jobs and livelihoods if college football isn’t played. Who is speaking for them?

Decisions to shut down schools, sports, and educational Opportunities disproportionately hurt black and low income people. Why isn’t anyone saying that?
Agreed!

It’s funny how so many in this tread are up in arms about the “left” media reporting lies just because another media source told them so.

Reactions: muddkoet29
The national media didn't cause 130,000 and counting people to die. The national media didn't cause the U.S. with 4% of the world's population to have 25% of the world's coronavirus cases, The national media didn't cause our country to ignore the virus for the first two months. The national media didn't politicize the wearing of masks. Trump made a huge tactical error when he refused to believe the science of the pandemic because it didn't match his view of having a strong economy for the election in November. Had he looked and acted presidential when this thing started he would have been unbeatable. Now the virus is so widespread that it can't be contained and it will lead to his humiliation in November.
Lol if you think those numbers are accurate.

We do have a clue.

It's literally on the CDC website.

I guess somehow, despite 2.5 branches of government being run by the GOP, that somehow even the government is STILL anti-Trump! The CDC is, for no discernible reason, trying to fear monger!

The mental gymnastics some of y'all do is literally unbelievable.

--Mr. DT

CDC doesnt have accurate numbers

but i dont care about numbers

mental health greater than physical health

open the dam schools

spot the dam ball

quit being a

COWARD

2019 was pegged as a rebuilding year and we made the natty... missing out on Trevor’s Junior year and Etienne’s surprise decision to come back to school just sucks.

*sigh*
Need to change it to we will lose out. CFB is done until 2022. Liberals Ruin Everything

Reactions: appalachiatiger
I’m still hoping you’re wrong but I’ve realized there is a faction in this country and even a few on this board that are intent on destroying the fabric of our country and society in order to win an election in November.

There hasn't been a single hospitalization in college sports due to Covid 19. Yet people are still posting drivel about positive tests that are mostly asymptomatic.

Why can’t headlines read “despite increase in positive cases younger healthier people still largely unaffected” ?

Then couple that with a decision to keep older and susceptible people away from the games?

Why isn’t anyone talking about the athletes that will lose out? Why isn’t anyone talking about jobs lost? Why isn’t anyone talking about sports programs being canceled? Qualk went on an epic rant Friday on WCCP about all of the people that will lose jobs and livelihoods if college football isn’t played. Who is speaking for them?

Decisions to shut down schools, sports, and educational Opportunities disproportionately hurt black and low income people. Why isn’t anyone saying that?
5fSQpnc.gif

It’s funny how so many in this tread are up in arms about the “left” media reporting lies just because another media source told them so.

you have got to track a story down to the actual individual now and only listen to their words

like who in their right mind would want to listen to chris cuomo or don lemon for their news?that just makes no sense.

those 2 were clowns in the circus

First of all we have to realize that when we state an opinion here it has no weight as to what is to be done. So, we can say what the hell, let's play. And nobody is affected. However, the people actually making the decision have a tough decision to make. How much money is one life worth? Two lives? A thousand lives? Hard question. Also, one person here said that no athletes have been hospitalized. How would you know that? Clemson is one of the VERY FEW schools reporting virus data to the public. So, we have no idea what is really going on. What happens if one Clemson player gets sick and dies? What happens if Dabo Swinney gets sick and dies? It's not easy to make a decision when you know for a fact that your decision is going to have consequences.

*sigh*
Stop being negative, Nancy :D

First of all we have to realize that when we state an opinion here it has no weight as to what is to be done. So, we can say what the hell, let's play. And nobody is affected. However, the people actually making the decision have a tough decision to make. How much money is one life worth? Two lives? A thousand lives? Hard question. Also, one person here said that no athletes have been hospitalized. How would you know that? Clemson is one of the VERY FEW schools reporting virus data to the public. So, we have no idea what is really going on. What happens if one Clemson player gets sick and dies? What happens if Dabo Swinney gets sick and dies? It's not easy to make a decision when you know for a fact that your decision is going to have consequences.

Release from CLEMSON (posted on this board by Cris Ard on Friday):

Since the last release of testing data on June 26, Clemson Athletics student-athletes and staff have completed 292 additional COVID-19 tests, with six positive cases identified.

Since June 1, when student-athletes began returning to campus, Clemson student-athletes and staff have undergone 722 COVID-19 tests with 53 positive results (47 students, 6 staff), a 7.3% positive rate. To date, there have been no hospitalizations related to COVID-19 for any individual within Clemson Athletics, and more than half of the positive cases have been asymptomatic.

All individuals who had previously tested positive as of the last release on June 26 have completed CDC-recommended isolation and are either back in activity or awaiting final medical clearance.

As the State of South Carolina and the Upstate continue to experience community transmission of COVID-19, individuals are advised to continue to wear face coverings when out of the home, practice physical distancing, routinely wash hands thoroughly and remain at home if any symptoms are present.

Reactions: 1983Grad
Begin pushing the start date back.

If anything an October start with games every Saturday and the following week’s schedule announced the next Sunday morning. The weekly schedule announcement would be something fun to follow as a fan who likely won’t get to be in the stadium. There are 9 Saturday’s in Oct/Nov. Would allow for 8 conference games and a plus one to include optional rivalry or a single OOC matchup.

Of the 112k deaths in the us attributed to COVID, about 46k were folks under the age of 75. I'm not gonna do the math, but it's obvious that theresalmost no statistical way for that assertion to be correct. Wherever it came from.

Article from the economist that is behind a paywall but there's a chart to look at. That number is just wrong man.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...ths-are-analysed-by-age-america-is-an-outlier

81 looks to be the median age, for caucasians in this country.(half of the deaths above 81, half below 81, not average age)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...-under-age-65-white-americans/?outputType=amp

cdc released study through May 30 in US (can’t find age numbers more up to date)
Total Deaths 71116
>80 32766 46.1%
70-79 17510 24.6%
60-69 11947 16.8%
50-59 5639 8.0%
40-49 2083 2.9%
30-39 852 1.2%
20-29 273 0.4%
10-19 33 0.05%
0-9 13 0.02%

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6924e2-H.pdf

The US is currently at 105% of the expected crude death rate sine February 2020. New York City is at 208%. South Carolina is at 104%. (These numbers give you a pretty clear indicator of the affect this has had) The complete chart is in the linked article.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Just some numbers. Thought this was a good spot to put them.

Reactions: nashvegastiger
The problem with the national media is they way they report. They make you think the 130,000 covid deaths are because of the virus. A lot of these people died from other causes but were tested positive for covid.

If you go to the hospital for an elected surgery you put off during the pandemic and they test you for the virus and you test positive, you are now a covid19 hospitalized patient. Doesn’t matter that you are asymptomatic. How many people are hospitalized because of the virus and not just test positive? That’s what I’d like to know.

And let’s not forget that even by the corrupt media’s numbers, up to HALF of all deaths were people in nursing homes. A lot of them put their by their own elected governors. So take out those people from the death count who are at extreme risk of not only a virus but death by every cause and now we have a completely different narrative. Not to mention all the people who died of other causes and got labeled dead by Covid to tack onto the total count. By removing both of the above I bet the total death count could be reduced by as much as 75% if not more. A nursing home is a death sentence when infected people are put there with a disease that effects the vascular and respiratory systems.

This is all that it comes down to.

Those in charge will be basing their decisions on exactly this - relative risk and what is acceptable.

We can debate is 2% fatality rate acceptable til the cows come home.
Everyone has their own opinion.
(seems like an obvious answer to me - but that's me)

I don't accept the anecdotal "#'s aren't real". They're close enough.
You follow trends.
Nothing is exact, but I'd say there's tons of positives that aren't being confirmed.
I was running a fever & wanted to get tested this past week.
CVS & my dr's office were out of tests and capacity.
Roaming county testing sites had a FIVE hour line.
People see that and go home & just deal with whatever they have - I did.

How many dr's do we have on this board that have given us their thoughts, experiences, and recommendations?
But yet somehow those with no medical degree on here believe it's a big conspiracy.

Why have so many come to associate advanced educations with "liberal conspiracy"?
Is it to make you feel better?
Sounds soft to me.

*sigh*

Exactly!

As Dabo says.. "these are the good ole days".
And this year could (or could've ) been the best of those days. Not sure what I'll do with myself this fall!

We’ve actually had a larger number of people as a % of the country’s population die from an infectious disease without the media being in hysterics about it and without shutting down sports, schools, or the entire economy. In 1968 the year of Woodstock, riots, assassinations, protests and the like we had a Pandemic far worse than this one. We had college sports and we didn’t shutdown schools.

The media didn’t cause the pandemic but they have caused irrational fear related to it.

It’s sad that many have died but average age of death with Covid is 81 which exceeds the average life expectancy of 77 in this country. Let that sink in.

In no way shape or form should we be debating the health of college athletes with this virus. We can debate how best to protect the elderly and to keep them away from college games but we should not be debating whether to have the games or not. That debate is due to the fear mongering of the media intent on creating an atmosphere of fear and chaos in the public eye.

I’ve seen this 1968 comparison a lot lately, it must have hit some conservative talking point email list.
From what I have read, that flu did not start rapid spread in the US until December of 1968. So bringing up Woodstock and the conventions is irrelevant.
The CDC estimated that about 34,000 to 100,000 people died in the U.S. That’s over a nearly 2 year span. We are past those numbers through 4 months.

No worries I realize that. So, I have already called all my football contacts at Clemson. I told them they need to cancel football at least until next year, maybe even 2022. The political climate for those that have one death linked to their programs decisions will be vilified! It would destroy everything Dabo has built IMO. Heisman donor here FYI

Last edited:
Exactly. He will be judged on his handling of the pandemic, not the economy. He could have easily still won in November despite a poor economy, had he taken the virus seriously and unified the country around a concerted response. Instead, he chose to downplay the severity and politicize the response to the virus. Blame the media if you wish, but the national media has been generally correct in their coverage and predictions of this pandemic.

Reactions: 1Clemson
Oh my, your truth is going to rustle a lot of right wingers! Greg Sankey, the SEC commissioner, complained about people who refuse to wear masks and socially distance themselves. Guy would be crucified on TI for those thoughts!

kg

many of us equate a "strong economy" means a "healthy populace"

its political too, but the underline theme is that a strong economy is important for the well being of each family.

every president wants a strong economy before an election.

this economy was flying before the virus.

cant cover that up.

you can try

but a majority of americans understand that trumps policies are good for hard working taxpaying god fearing family oriented americans

now those zombies that live in the cities?

if they want socialism, lets let them move to europe.

our constitution and our economic system is not going to change no matter how much you and ice want it to.

Exactly. He will be judged on his handling of the pandemic, not the economy. He could have easily still won in November despite a poor economy, had he taken the virus seriously and unified the country around a concerted response. Instead, he chose to downplay the severity and politicize the response to the virus. Blame the media if you wish, but the national media has been generally correct in their coverage and predictions of this pandemic.

we did not handle this entire thing from ground up.

and it appears a second lockdown is coming.

this time a real lockdown.

not just 50%

like other countries that shutdown 90% of their economies

and even some of those didnt work.

shutdowns only delay the inevitable.

but the response to this virus is every americans fault.

your fault

my fault

our fault

Trump wins on November 3rd and announces that night the country is reopening EVERYTHING immediately and college football will begin ASAP. You know he would do it, too.

Every single one of these people can go fvck themselves. It's not even about the college football, I love it but in the grand scheme my life will change exactly zero if I miss out on a season of football but people's insistence on keeping people out of work and suppressing our economy because they hate our President makes my blood boil. We have a democracy, if you don't like who was elected then do your part to support another candidate but burning down what we already have just because you didn't get your way is childish.

Liberals ruin everything

This is incorrect. LEFTISTS ruin everything.

Liberals are still people you can have dialogue and discussion with. Liberals wouldn’t agree with Leftist agendas.

There’s a common misconception that Liberal and Leftist are the same thing.

Come on man. 40k normal die for flu a year. 80k was a record a couple of years ago. While I agree COVID did not kill a lot of these folks (years of poor health), it did speed it up.

I am a republican and not happy with the way the media is handling this, but it is more serious then you make out to be.

With that said, they should play football this fall. Those that cannot test, sorry.

Is it more serious? Less than 1% are dying from this and anyone with a positive Covid test that dies is being listed as a Covid test no matter how they died! They can die in a car wreck and if Covid positive...Covid death. It’s media agenda and if you can’t see it follow the money and the agenda...I just typed out a long response with video in a below thread if you wanna read more about how this whole thing has played out

Like I once said: In my 74 years on this earth I've never seen such a political disease. This disease has nothing to do with politics. Nobody invented it to hurt Donald Trump. Nobody is trying to make it worse to hurt Donald Trump...except Donald Trump. This nation has gone bat crazy. If my wife would leave her mother I swear I would leave. And I'm not kidding.

Last edited:
People continue to ignore part of the equation. The narrative is always "how many lives will we lose to COVID-19 if we do whatever." Whether it is opening schools, playing football, etc, there is a cost in lives due to not opening things up. If you don't open schools, kids will die of suicide, domestic abuse, etc at a much higher rate than if schools open. These numbers will dwarf the number of kids that die from COVID-19 that result from being back at school. This side of the story is only occasionally mentioned. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the same will happen to college football players, although the numbers will be small. I really believe that the average college player is more likely to die in an off campus accident with no football than to die of COVID-19 while playing football. There is clearly no data to support this notion, but I really believe it to be true.

This is getting a bit old as I doubt the rest of the world is tanking in order to affect a US election. I can't afford enough tin foil to get to the point where I believe Canada and the UK are stoking virus fears to rid the US of Trump. This is far bigger than a single politician that will likely be but a footnote in history.

Everyone taking modest and prudent measures would likely have been more effective in controlling the virus and surely more effective economically than whatever this 'response' has been. This virus attacked the US at its very core- its belief in individual freedom and responsibility. Many Americans have chosen to exercise their freedom at the expense of their responsibility. It is an interesting case study that shows that unlike our founding fathers that chose to stay together rather than all hang separately, many today have chosen to do as they please to the detriment of all.

Every elected leader in the US has pretty much failed to manage this problem- some denied it, some were too slow to respond, some too fast to recover, many have thrown money at a problem that is not money based and some just fail to support the most basic approaches to minimizing both the virus and the economic harm related to it- Trump is included with most of the governors, Congress and the state legislators. Having anyone just point out the abject failure in the US response to this is not partisan, it is just acknowledging the facts as they are. Almost all of the elected need to be replaced, regardless of party.

People continue to ignore part of the equation. The narrative is always "how many lives will we lose to COVID-19 if we do whatever." Whether it is opening schools, playing football, etc, there is a cost in lives due to not opening things up. If you don't open schools, kids will die of suicide, domestic abuse, etc at a much higher rate than if schools open. These numbers will dwarf the number of kids that die from COVID-19 that result from being back at school. This side of the story is only occasionally mentioned. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the same will happen to college football players, although the numbers will be small. I really believe that the average college player is more likely to die in an off campus accident with no football than to die of COVID-19 while playing football. There is clearly no data to support this notion, but I really believe it to be true.
Ding ding ding /thread

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT