ADVERTISEMENT

We got some SOCON drama. Refs were actually fired for being so bad last weekend - Furman v Samford

GoodWord28

Woodrush
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2013

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a conference publicly admit a refereeing mistake like this before, so I figured it was relevant enough for its own post.

For context, here's the play in question.

Call on the field was completed pass for Samford. Then they reviewed it and correctly changed it to an INT for Furman. The Samford coach then proceeded to complain to the refs for 5+ minutes and they reviewed it a second time (never seen this happen before) and changed the call to the receiver being down by forward progress, even though he never even had possession of the ball. Furman had a 10-0 lead, all the momentum, and should have had the ball inside Samford's 25 if it had been correctly called. The whole process took over 15 minutes, and the delay and the incorrect call completely destroyed all of Furman's momentum. Samford took advantage by scoring 20 straights points and ended up winning the game 34-27.

This game could easily end up costing Furman a playoff spot or share of the SoCon title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News