Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
------

WEDNESDAY CLEMSON FOOTBALL INSIDER
By: Larry Williams & Paul Strelow

We need to talk.

You've got questions, we've got answers or opinions.

In this popular feature, Tigerillustrated.com digs into team-related topics broached by our subscribers.

Off we go ...

PowerLineman88: Do you think our defensive linemen will get back to their normal disruptive ways? I know the past few weeks have been very emotional for them and the team as a whole. Did that play a part in their lack of intensity for the Wake game, or is there another underlying problem?

LARRY: The heartbreaking series of events with Ella Bresee affected this team in a major way, and probably more than most folks on the outside understand.

When asked about Bryan Bresee after the Wake Forest game, Wes Goodwin had to compose himself to keep from breaking down.

When we interviewed Ben Boulware for the podcast last week, Boulware recalled a recent conversation he had with Goodwin in which the defensive coordinator shared that the loss of Ella dealt the entire program a major blow.

Quite simply, there's not a page in the coaching manual that instructs you how to handle something like this. It's just incomprehensible.

1664363749660.png
It's been an emotional start to the 2022 season for veteran Clemson defensive tackle Bryan Bresee and understandably so. (Getty)

I do believe the ceiling is still high for this defensive line. And yes, I think they'll find a groove as the season wears on.

I think back to the progression of the 2014 group that was iconic by the end of the season.

But early that year they had some rough patches, getting pushed around by Georgia in the second half and allowing 45 points. Or giving up 35 at home to North Carolina in Game 4.

And I would not agree that there was a lack of intensity against Wake. Was there less pressure than last season against the Deacons? Yes. But Clemson was in the backfield quite a lot, and unquestionably the backbreaking development was repeated lapses in man coverage by the secondary.

NorthStateTiger: Sort of builds on the other questions but while we’ve obviously missed Xavier Thomas and Bresee, and Tyler Davis haven’t been full go, are you surprised we haven’t gotten more from Ruke Orhorhoro and Myles Murphy so far this season?

LARRY: We ranked Murphy the No. 1 player on the roster in our annual Top 25 evaluation this past summer. So yes, the lack of major impact from him has been a surprise.

The fact that Lemanski Hall and Goodwin sent out Justin Mascoll for the start against Wake was a telling indication that Murphy hasn't been playing or practicing as well as expected.

That said, Murphy did play well against Wake. So maybe he got the message and we're viewing this as a minor blip a month from now.

But the pass rush has to get better, and that's even factoring in how much quick game the Tigers have faced thus far.

From 2014 to 2021, Clemson was the only team in the country to produce 40 or more sacks every season. Averaging 47 sacks a season over eight years is pretty remarkable.

The Tigers have totaled eight sacks through four games, the average of two per game ranking 69th nationally.

The ends have produced just 2.5 sacks (1.5 for Murphy, and one for K.J. Henry).

Regarding Orhorhoro, yes I thought we'd see more disruption from him this season. Goodwin did note this week that he's been limited with a big wrap on one of his hands.

So there's been more attrition and dings on the defensive line than you'd like, but it feels like this group shook off some of the rust last week and should be in position to present a better version of itself Saturday.

wfutigers: Trenton Simpson was a terror on pressuring quarterbacks last year. With his position change, are we using him in the best position for his skill set?

PAUL: I thought for the Wake Forest game plan, we interestingly saw Simpson switch back to how Clemson incorporated him in the past. Presumably a one-time move, but not one where it yielded substantial influence either.

Here's believing it remains to be seen whether the Tigers get comparable impact from Simpson as an inside linebacker. It's probably fair to reason that he would need ample time to grow into a position where a player's so-called instincts are placed at a premium. When you have to think, you play tentatively, and it shows.

It's an interesting debate. At his size and body type, Simpson enhances his NFL value and longevity by demonstrating the ability to do stack linebacker jobs. How well does he read-and-react on run plays, then get through the trash? Can he fluidly turn hips and cover on the second level?

He's not Micah Parsons. But checking the boxes of that typecast would do him a great service both in development and financially.

Yet we've also seen that his best work is done as a blitzer off the edge who has the range to suitably cover the hooks and curls in the slot. Putting him in that role means getting less Barrett Carter, removing Simpson more situationally and not having your best 11 on the field. Also a case to be made he's the most appealing spy to have at inside backer on nickel and dime passing downs.

So it's often tough to discern best for the team, not to mention best for the individual. Not sure there's an easy, clear-cut answer here.

1664363902590.png
For several weeks Clemson's coaches have attempted to send a message to veteran defensive end Myles Murphy. Justin Mascoll's latest start was another example. (Tigerillustrated.com)

jparker3791: What is your forecast for Will Putnam coming back for another year?

PAUL: My understanding was that Putnam had positioned himself to graduate this offseason but roll right into a Master's program and return to play for the 2023 season.

But no decision had been made there, and the door was left open in case things didn't go well for one reason or another this season.

By all appearances, things look to be going well.

Putnam has arguably shown that center is his best position, he's playing well and only continuing to improve at it. He loved former line coach Robbie Caldwell, but life has been good under first-year coach Thomas Austin. And the offense has started having fun again as production has risen for the well-documented reasons.

This is still nonetheless educated speculation on our part. But in short, there hasn't been a reason for Putnam to leave. So as long as this stays the course, we'd bet on him coming back.

Tiger30531: Do you see Jeadyn Lukus or Toriano Pride starting by end of the season, or does being thrown into the fire early with getting burnt stunt their progress and confidence?

LARRY: I got blasted pretty hard at halftime against Wake Forest when I posted in the in-game thread that I saw some encouraging things from the secondary in the first half.

No, probably not wise to make that observation in the midst of one of the worst games by the secondary in a long, long time.

But to add some clarity to that thought:

Pride showed progress from the Louisiana Tech game, when he looked like he shouldn't be out there. He was getting beaten off the line and picked on that night in Death Valley.

So this time he was not getting beaten off the line but still getting picked on because he still has to learn how to play the ball in the air.

Combine that with what I thought was good safety play (compared to some bad safety play in the previous two games) and that was the basis of my thought at halftime (this, of course, before Nate Wiggins melted down in the second half).

I think the arrow is certainly pointed up for Pride. I'm certainly not making any predictions on whether a freshman corner will be starting by the end of the season, but it would not be a shock if Pride is in that category. I think he's going to get better in a hurry. And I think he already has made significant improvement, as hard as it was for some to see last week.

And no, I don't see last week stunting Pride's growth or confidence moving forward.

sully1286: Simple questions that you can answer however you want: Can our situation at defensive back be fixed? And can it be fixed soon? We have a lot of good quarterbacks left on our schedule and I’m sure everyone would prefer to avoid more high-scoring shootouts.

PAUL: My feeling is Clemson shouldn't have any long-range concern over defensive backs this season, no. They aren't going to get Andrew Booth or A.J. Terrell play. But I don't foresee another performance that mirrors the Wake game.

The Wake run game schematically is unlike anything Clemson will see again, and it prompted a strategy designed specifically to force Wake to make certain lower-percentage throws. Wake found the time to make them, Sam Hartman delivered, and Clemson's corners made matters worse by increasingly panicking as the snowball mounted.

I agree 100 percent with Larry on Pride; I thought he did a lot of things right, and that should be reason for encouragement. Most times he was in position to make a play, which is the contrast to Fred Davis and Wiggins.

We hinted at this last offseason, but the major step needed for Davis a year ago was advancing knowing where to be and the play responsibility. The coaching staff talked over the summer about him maturing. But it looked like that's where his shortcomings occurred a few times Saturday.

Wiggins clearly let results get in his head, and better management of the mental side resolves that biggest issue.

So yes, there are avenues by which considerable improvement comes.

Sheridan Jones might not be as talented as those guys, in this observer's long-standing estimation, but he's a mature veteran who has played a lot of ball and should at least exude a steadier, more reliable presence.

1664364072696.png
In just four games true freshman corner Toriano Pride has already logged 125 snaps and with additional responsibility on the way. (Tigerillustrated.com)

Pride continues making strides, and we've always pointed out that Clemson's high-end corners haven't typically earned relevant playing time till the second half of their freshman seasons. We're seeing where that curve exists, that's all.

Clemson doesn't defend N.C. State structurally the way it defends Wake. Different offense translates to different approach.

If memory serves correctly, this defense has tended for the corners to give Wolfpack receivers a lot of cushion -- maybe too much, in fact -- and kept everything in front of them, allowing for more digs and intermediate perimeter routes.

I wouldn't worry about future quarterbacks. This one presents the biggest remaining test. And you know Dave Doeren is going to put the corners' feet to the fire to see where they are from a confidence standpoint.

Up to 65% OFF on a lot of officially-licensed CLEMSON gear at The Tiger Fan Shop. Click HERE!

1664369999184.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News