* * * * Weekend Freshmen Nuggets - Part 2 * * * *

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
Weekend Freshmen Nuggets - Part 2
By: Larry Williams

Might sound a little crazy to say I'm more interested in seeing a backup than Cade Klubnik in the spring game, but at the moment that's the feeling as I'm processing the vibe around Christopher Vizzina.

And just to eliminate confusion here: No, not saying or remotely suggesting there's some sort of race for the top job. That's absurd.

It's more that Vizzina creates such an interesting layer based on what various folks have been saying about him thus far.

11.jpg
True freshman quarterback Christopher Vizzina now has seven spring practices under his belt. (Tigerillustrated.com)

A week or so we covered his physical development, which is far ahead of various quarterbacks who have come before him.

Yet his ability to sling it, and the poised manner in which he's carried himself thus far, has me circling No. 17 on my spring-game roster as a guy to watch.

And the head coach, on the final day of practice before the team broke for spring break, offered an observation that raised my eyebrows: He said Vizzina can really run it (not really something that was on my radar before but probably should've been).

What I'd like to examine in the spring game is not necessarily just his running ability, but his knack for extending plays and making off-platform throws on the run.

In the context of how he measures up to Klubnik, there's also the fact that both Vizzina and Klubnik are starting from scratch with a new offense being installed.

Vizzina is still an early-enrolled freshman quarterback. Still plenty of developing and learning for him, for sure.

But we've seen enough and heard enough to want to see more of him. -- LARRY WILLIAMS

You have to foremost protect your quarterback assets in the spring, so it's logical to put them in a bubble.

Yet here's hoping Swinney swallows his whistle a little longer than has been his standard in the spring game, thereby enabling the quarterbacks to have to make some impromptu decisions.

No one wants to see a dozen sacks per side via simply coming within reach of a quarterback's personal space.

Sure, there's only so much of the offense you want opponents to see schematically as well as with Clemson's personnel fit.

But it's been a few years since the spring game wasn't an offensive snoozefest, and more leeway gives the chance for some additional excitement to build -- which could help recruiting heading into important summer visits.

Furthermore, let's not pretend this receiving corps couldn't use every opportunity to learn to make plays.

That principle applies to the defensive backs too, mind you. And more on that tomorrow.

But among the freshmen we're most interested in watching after the opening weeks of spring ball is cornerback Shelton Lewis.

Now, there doesn't appear much of a path for prompt contribution barring undesired injuries.

Nate Wiggins owns one starting job, and the return of trusted veteran Sheridan Jones figures to plug the other. Toriano Pride and Jeadyn Lukus are going to play and presumably have more consistent roles than they did last year, too.

Moreover, the resuscitation of senior Malcolm Greene sticks out as one of the more notable developments through the first two weeks of spring practices.

11p3.jpg
Clemson true freshman defensive back Shelton Lewis. (Tigerillustrated.com)

After the opening workout, here's what we wrote on Lewis:

But man, we just like the way Lewis carries himself, and he's put together well already for a corner. There appears some grit there, and in Mike Reed you should trust -- stars or offers be darned.

In various forms and phrases since, players and coaches alike have framed how Lewis seems to have that dog in him, so to speak.

Clemson had plenty of skilled defenders on the field last year, the secondary included.

I'm not sure we witnessed the fight and determination expected from the back end.

So here's looking forward to observing what Lewis brings to the table in that regard. -- PAUL STRELOW

STOREWIDE SALE on a lot of Clemson apparel at The Tiger Fan Shop HERE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News