ADVERTISEMENT

**** Wes Goodwin, Garrett Riley

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
----

This comes in from Larry who is on campus today for availability. A reminder, Dabo Swinney's presser is tomorrow at 11 a.m.

WES GOODWIN

Wes Goodwin chatted with the media earlier. A few of the notables:

-- Said it's go time. Said the defense is healthy for the most part.

-- He was asked how he's changed the most over the past year.

Just the confidence and command of the room. Defensively, walking into the meeting room and having the trust of the players. Just the knowledge standpoint from how everything flows.

Said most people don’t get to see his intensity during practice and behind closed doors.

"I'm a fun guy, but once we cross the lines that intensity and fire ramps up. I coach my guys in my way and not somebody else’s way. I am who I am."

-- Said Duke's offense presents a huge challenge.

"We will find out early where we’re at defensively."

-- Said he talked with a number of close coaching confidants during the offseason, including some at Oklahoma. Said he has a "handful of good buddies" otherwise that he spoke with, but he'd rather keep that confidential.

-- One of the most encouraging developments of camp: Guys in the secondary played with a lot of confidence and belief. Technique is greatly improved. Seeing everything I hoped to see.

-- Said Peter Woods has earned the right to be listed as a co-starter. That's a reflection of how Nick Eason and the staff feel about him.

"He showed up well beyond his years. He’s a grinder. He works really hard and the unbelievable effort separates him from a lot of people."

-- More on what he learned from camp:

Experience and leadership of his defense really showed every day.
Physicality and tackling wise, greatly improved on a daily basis. Improved technique and fundamentals.

"I see guys playing with a lot of confidence, a lot of belief and understanding of where their help is. Their knowledge allows them to play a lot faster."

He said this is a very unselfish team that pours into the younger guys. Reminds him of the 2018 team.

-- He was asked about Mickey Conn's role from the box on game days. Said Conn communicates down and distance, formation, etc.

It's a set of eyes up top that helps break down what went wrong, what went well, etc. Really helps in the age of more tempo offenses.

GARRETT RILEY

Garrett Riley just finished visiting with the media. A few of the more notable items:

-- Said this offense is in a great spot after camp. Lot of different guys who are capable of making a lot of plays for us. Lot of continuity and chemistry up front.

-- The defense has been a treat to watch, he said. Lot of fun to watch his offense go back and forth with them and battle it out every day.

"We’ve accomplished a lot. We have a pretty good grasp of who we are. Now it’s time to go see it on the real field."

-- I asked him to cite the most important thing he learned from camp. He said it was figuring out what guys could handle, mainly the guys who weren't here during the spring.

I followed up by asking him about Adam Randall and what he learned he could handle after sitting out spring practice.

He said Randall is a very physically gifted person.

"He’s a big man who can really run. And he’s hungry. That’s a motivated person that’s hungry to be great. He’s handled a lot of different things in a short amount of time."

Riley was asked how Randall compares to former TCU receiver Quentin Johnson. Said there are some similarities but Randall is probably a little more physical than Johnson, both when he has the ball and when he's blocking.

I asked him about the receiver blocking as a whole. He said they've bought into it, "and hopefully it allows our running game to explode."

-- Said he likes the variety of this WR corps. "I think we’ve got versatility. We have people that can stretch the field. We’ve got size. We’ve got some jitterbug type people. I like the versatility of top six, top eight guys."

-- On Tyler Brown: "He is fearless. He’s fast, he’s savvy. He’s all the things you want with his size and the position he plays. But what sets him apart is he's a fearless player. He’s not afraid of contact which is impressive for someone his size."

-- Said Cade Klubnik is in a good spot.

"Our goal in this system is to make the QB comfortable."

-- On the idea that Clemson can have two 1,000-yard rushers this season:

"Those two guys are just really, really good football players. They can handle a lot, and they’re obviously different. By the nature of what we do and what we’re committed to, they’re going to be a huge part of our running game and passing game. They’re going to play a ton."

-- I asked him how deep this OL can go. He said 10-12 guys conceivably, but at this point there are 8-9 they'll play against Duke.

-- Asked him for his evaluation of LT. Said Tristan Leigh has done a good job. He and Collin Sadler have been battling all of camp.

"Those guys both deserve to play."

-- On running Klubnik: Said it depends on the flow of the game.

"Obviously we want to protect our QB. Got to weigh the risk-reward, but we’re going to do whatever it takes to win."

-- Confirmed he'll be on the sideline calling plays. Said he prefers that because he can look his QB in the eyes. Said sometimes sitting in the box feels so remote and it can make things harder.

JUST RELEASED: The new Clemson Nike Zoom Pegasus 40 Running Shoes now in stock at The Tiger Fan Shop HERE!

vtdyykzg3le0doguqewq

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News