ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the last CU QB to have a higher Yards per Completion Average than TCU QB Max Duggan in '22?

Cybr Tigr

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Last year, TCU QB Max Duggan averaged 13.9 yards per completion. The last Clemson QB to exceed that was Chris Morocco, who averaged 14.3 yards per completion in 1989.

I read somewhere that TCU was among the national leaders in the number of 20+, 30+, and 40+ yard passes on the year. I didn't see a whole lot of TCU games, but Duggan did not appear to have a particularly strong arm. Also, none of their receivers had particularly high recruiting ratings and do not show up on McShay's top NFL prospect list.

I'm concluding that the ability to complete chunk plays therefore is a function of scheme. I looked at this because Cade Klubnik appeared to have pretty good (but not real good or elite) arm strength last year. Cade's arm strength will obviously improve as he continues to work out, but if the scheme allowed Duggan to be so effective on long pass plays, that should set up very well for Cade to have the same success.

Hendon Hooker has just average arm strength as well, but was also very effective on deep passes last year.

Just FYI, here are the average yards per completion numbers for notable Clemson QBs.

Lawrence - 2020 - 13.7
Lawrence - 2019 - 13.6
Lawrence - 2018 - 12.7
Watson - 2016 - 11.8
Watson - 2015 - 12.3
Boyd - 2013 - 13.6
Boyd - 2012 - 13.6
Boyd - 2011 - 12.8

Whitehurst and Harper played during the Rod Spence era. They both averaged jut over 10 yards per completion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News