ADVERTISEMENT

Why Did Rivals Give These WR's Such High Ratings?

Cybr Tigr

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Rivals Rankings for Clemson WR's

Ladson - 2019 - 4 star - 6.0 - 56th National - 8th WR Position
Ngata - 2019 - 4 star - 6.1 - 27th National - 5th - WR Position
Williams - 2020 - 4 star - 6.0 - 50th National - 8th - WR Position
B. Collins - 2021 - 4 star - 6.0 - 63rd National - 10th WR Position
D. Collins - 2021 - 4 star - 5.8 - 207th National - 36th WR Position

Ladson had both real good speed and good length, so I can understand why he received a high rating.

Relative to Power 5 Conference players in general, none of the rest of them have real good speed, size, or strength. Certainly, none of them have the Mike Williams or T Higgins ability to jump and reach above a defender for a high ball.

B.Collins, when healthy, has shown flashes of real good skill as a route runner, as well as for using his body to position himself well for a catch. So he has that going for him.

With that exception, however, none of them have shown particularly good skills, route running ability, or hands.

So, how did they get ranked so highly by Rivals?

I have a long time friend who is an FSU fan. During their prime, I would tell him that Rivals would over-rate prospects simply because they committed to FSU. Toward the end of the Bowden era, when FSU's talent level had clearly dropped while its Rivals recruiting ratings remained very high, he agreed with me. It makes me wonder, does Rivals think that, just because a WR commits to Clemson, he must be Hopkins, Watkins, Williams, or Higgins?

Otherwise, I can't see why these receivers were ranked so highly out of high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News