ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

What did you find the most damning piece in the case against him? The lie about being at the kennel?
I'm not sure I could put another piece of evidence ahead of that.

I just think it's been proven that he is a horrible human being and it goes well beyond him being a serial liar for undoubtedly many years.

It's really stunning to see the utter destruction he is directly responsible for in so many people's lives.

I'm not sure I could put another piece of evidence ahead of that.

I just think it's been proven that he is a horrible human being and it goes well beyond him being a serial liar for undoubtedly many years.

It's really stunning to see the utter destruction he is directly responsible for in so many people's lives.
And how his attorneys continue to try any BS legal maneuver they can to take advantage of the system. I’m all for doing everything you can for your client, you have that oath, but those 2 should be seriously reprimanded.

Judge Newman voluntarily recuses himself from motion for new murder trial. Court rules that financial crimes will go to trial as planned Nov 27 with Judge Newman presiding. The chess match continues.

Reactions: yemassee
Judges walk a fine line in these cases, but this looks like a good and just result.

And after looking at the State's response to the jury "tampering" allegations, there's not much smoke there at all. But give Poot and company credit for creating the narrative, however baseless it may be.

Reactions: Cris_Ard
Judges walk a fine line in these cases, but this looks like a good and just result.

And after looking at the State's response to the jury "tampering" allegations, there's not much smoke there at all. But give Poot and company credit for creating the narrative, however baseless it may be.
Agreed, even though it’s all baseless. Doesn’t mean AM gets a new murder trial, so if that motion gets denied with a different judge then they are done. As for financial crimes, Newman keeps that on schedule (relative to Fed charges) which is also a blow for Poot’s efforts.

It really is an injustice that they are able to manufacture this circus. This sets a bad precedent.

Reactions: TigerTC
For the casual follower, that article and headline sure give the impression that Newman is suspect in his running the courtroom. Completely fails to mention how all of this came about…from D&G
Judge Newman is the GOAT, so I appreciate you adding that context. If I were accused of a crime, I'd want him to be my judge. If I were guilty, I would expect to be incarcerated.

• Love
Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
The latest kerfuffle in the Murdaugh saga is that Neil Gordon (who co-authored Becky Hill's book) has filed an ethics complaint against "Lawyer Lori" (a TikTok attorney) for defaming him and his wife.

I'm not a TikToker and have a very low opinion of a "social media star" attorney, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes. I've heard Lawyer Lori a few times on the Impact of Influence podcast, though. I was unimpressed with her during her first appearance, maybe six months ago or so: her analysis of the trial was weak and based on rumor and speculation. She didn't seem serious at all.

Reactions: Cris_Ard
Here is Lawyer Lori vs. Neil Gordon on CourtTV.

(23:00 if the video isn't already cued.)

Is anyone else watching the prelim hearing?

The new Judge is laying out the guidelines for the upcoming hearing. Still fascinating to watch the legal maneuvering.

Ol Dick and Jim don’t seem to be getting everything they wanted.

damn thanks for the heads up...I have been out of the loop. Time to get the office TV turned back on

where you watching?

Is anyone else watching the prelim hearing?

The new Judge is laying out the guidelines for the upcoming hearing. Still fascinating to watch the legal maneuvering.

Ol Dick and Jim don’t seem to be getting everything they wanted.

man...the judge just shut him down for repeating himself "I hope this is the last time you repeat this"

This judge does not seem to be willing to put up with their shit at all. Already seems annoyed by them

Justice Judge Toal did a good job yesterday. She seems to be focusing the issue very specifically on actual jury tampering (of which there isn't really any evidence) and is keeping a lot of Harpootlian's grandstanding at bay.

A jury verdict is difficult to impeach. Our system protects the sanctity of the jury and their deliberations.

We will see what happens at the actual hearing in two weeks.

• Love
Justice Judge Toal did a good job yesterday. She seems to be focusing the issue very specifically on actual jury tampering (of which there isn't really any evidence) and is keeping a lot of Harpootlian's grandstanding at bay.

A jury verdict is difficult to impeach. Our system protects the sanctity of the jury and their deliberations.

We will see what happens at the actual hearing in two weeks.
Impeaching a jury verdict should be hard and I'm glad it is.

With that said Becky was running around like the belle of the ball trying to get paid. I don't think it interfered with the verdict but it was certainly "pick me" behavior.

Also anyone know what is going on with her son and his illegal wiretapping charges?

Impeaching a jury verdict should be hard and I'm glad it is.

With that said Becky was running around like the belle of the ball trying to get paid. I don't think it interfered with the verdict but it was certainly "pick me" behavior.

Also anyone know what is going on with her son and his illegal wiretapping charges?
Right, you're onto why the optics are potentially bad on this.

Some of Becky's actions have probably been reckless and ill-advised, but that doesn't mean that she interfered with the jury deliberations. I think Judge Toal is able to see through the smoke.

I haven't read much about her son's wiretapping charges.

Fact - Alex was rightfully convicted of these crimes. He’s evil.

Opinion - Becky got a little over her skis it appears. However, there’s no evidence of any jury tampering nor anything that impacted a juror’s verdict.

Question - Poot is making anrguments about these other outside things leading to motive leading to questioning her integrity and character. How is that different than Alex’s financial crimes leading to motive leading to questioning his integrity and character, etc any different? I’m asking from a legal perspective for what is admissible as evidence va not…not that I think the 2 situations are the same in terms of motive, etc. Toal pretty quickly cut thru Poot’s bullshit (and I believe it is just that) to say only what is alleged to have happened or not at trial is what is up for debate here, not the other outside narrative, which may or may not be true.

Reactions: Will4Clemson
Fact - Alex was rightfully convicted of these crimes. He’s evil.

Opinion - Becky got a little over her skis it appears. However, there’s no evidence of any jury tampering nor anything that impacted a juror’s verdict.

Question - Poot is making anrguments about these other outside things leading to motive leading to questioning her integrity and character. How is that different than Alex’s financial crimes leading to motive leading to questioning his integrity and character, etc any different? I’m asking from a legal perspective for what is admissible as evidence va not…not that I think the 2 situations are the same in terms of motive, etc. Toal pretty quickly cut thru Poot’s bullshit (and I believe it is just that) to say only what is alleged to have happened or not at trial is what is up for debate here, not the other outside narrative, which may or may not be true.
404(B) evidence goes to Alex's motive to commit the murders because Alex was on trial.

If Becky was charged with any crimes, then her motive would certainly be at play. But that's not the issue here.

The real issue here is whether Becky (or anyone) improperly influenced the jurors. Becky's motive, actions, book sales, egg lady love, podcasts, love of Lady Gamecock basketball, preference for mustard-based barbecue, etc. - none of that matters. What matters is what influence - if any- her actions had on the jurors.

What matters is what was going on in the jurors' heads. What matters is what outside events impacted their verdict.

Judge Toal is keeping a tight shot group in this hearing.

404(B) evidence goes to Alex's motive to commit the murders because Alex was on trial.

If Becky was charged with any crimes, then her motive would certainly be at play. But that's not the issue here.

The real issue here is whether Becky (or anyone) improperly influenced the jurors. Becky's motive, actions, book sales, egg lady love, podcasts, love of Lady Gamecock basketball, preference for mustard-based barbecue, etc. - none of that matters. What matters is what influence - if any- her actions had on the jurors.

What matters is what was going on in the jurors' heads. What matters is what outside events impacted their verdict.

Yep I get all that. So I think answer to my question is all the other stuff is BS because she hasn’t been charged with any crimes…whereas Alex had been charged, thus making it relevant, and admissible, to the actual legal proceeding.

If criminal charges are made against Becky, does all the stuff Poot is asking for then come into play, and Toal would be inclined to want to hear how this all fits together?

Yep I get all that. So I think answer to my question is all the other stuff is BS because she hasn’t been charged with any crimes…whereas Alex had been charged, thus making it relevant, and admissible, to the actual legal proceeding.

If criminal charges are made against Becky, does all the stuff Poot is asking for then come into play, and Toal would be inclined to want to hear how this all fits together?
None of that matters in this hearing. Even if Becky were charged from the ethics investigation, Toal is saying that things that happened after the trial could not have impacted the jury Etc So sounds like only people that will be questioned are the jurors and maybe the clerk. Alex is going to have to prove that the verdict was impacted

Last edited:

"...love of Lady Gamecock basketball, preference for mustard-based barbecue..."

I feel like there should be some type of punishment for both of these ;)

Murdaugh saga for retrial continues this morning. Prison orange is the perfect hue for the Low Country graying ginger. He looks healthy and robust. Prison life appears to suit him.

Here is the livefeed:

I'm popping in and out....but if Becky Hill had any jury influence that swayed the verdict heavens.

What a waste of state resources in this situation to retry a murder verdict for a retrial when the criminal will likely rot in prison due to the financial crimes to which he admitted guilt.

If I were the State, I wouldn't waste those resources for a second trial.

Reactions: yemassee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT