ADVERTISEMENT

Best Rapper Alive?

Great to see A Tribe Called Quest getting some love from the old guys like @Larry_Williams and @Paul Strelow

For anyone who likes classic hip hop, check out the Accuradio app/site. There is a channel on there called Check The Rhyme. Just classic tracks from the 80s, 90s, 00s mixed in with a few more current underground gems.

I've sent in a handful of stories where the suggested headline has been "Got the vibe." Feel pretty confident Chris has no idea of the reference, but still hasn't made the publishing cut haha. ... Here we go, yo.

Mind Playing Tricks on Me is still a great track. I know Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangster gets a lot of hype because of Office Space, but MPToM is still the classic GB song to me. Raise your hand if you remember hearing that song played at a high school dance after a football game back in the day. That's how we rolled in the mean streets of the Pee Dee in the early 90s lol.

Also was a big fan of the first two Cypress Hill albums. So much good music in the late 80s/early 90s. I am a rock/alternative/grunge guy first, but I spent many afternoons watching Rap City and Yo! MTV Raps.

Still remember being elated to have Ice Cube's Amerikkka's Most Wanted on cassette. That and the Kill at Will EP were on constant rotation in high school. Also remember standing in line at Manifest Discs and Tapes in Clemson for the midnight release of Snoop's Doggystyle.

Kendrick is probably my favorite now. J Cole is up there too. Not the biggest fan of Kanye but I saw him perform live and he can put on a show. Acid Rap by Chance is by far my favorite album. I'm afraid he won't be able to match that with his next one. I also really like Future when I want to get hype and listen to trap music.

Slick Rick is my personal favorite. Just a cool style...

I think it was 2 years ago that Heritage Park had the old school hip hop concert
LL
Public Enemy... With Chuck D, Ice Cube and Flava Flave..
De La Soul...

Best ever: Biggie Smalls no question.
Best now: Action Bronson bringing that true NYC rap back.
Best group ever: WTC
WORST RAPPER EVER: Ja "Broke Ass" Rule (if you even call that rap)

Kendrick is probably my favorite now. J Cole is up there too. Not the biggest fan of Kanye but I saw him perform live and he can put on a show. Acid Rap by Chance is by far my favorite album. I'm afraid he won't be able to match that with his next one. I also really like Future when I want to get hype and listen to trap music.
If I had to go with a newer artist it would be Meek Mill.

OutKast is my all time fav. Mainly for body of total work. I hated rap before I heard those two. Also, got to give some love to NWA.

My college jams though in the mid-2000s were Blackalicious and Del the Funky Homosapien (Deltron 3030). For Blackalicious just check out Alphabet Aerobics and Blazing Arrow (sampled Donovan from The Point)

Now, gotta say Kendrick Lamar and I'm not ashamed to say I like some Waka when I'm in the mood

pg2_g_vanilla_ice1_sw_200.jpg

Seriously though, I have always leaned towards the west coast guys and NWA has always been my favorite but Eminem has got to be the most talented rapper alive right now. In my opinion of course.

I grew up with southern hip-hop.Outkast Aquemini is always slot #3 in my cd changer and has been for 15 years. "Art of storytellin" and "spottieottiedopalicious" are just good music.

Goodie Mob. "Black Ice" is the best rap song ever made.

Also loved some Eightball & MJG. Wu is iconic.

When they were head to head, I always liked Tupac a little more than Biggie, but I think Biggie's stuff has held the test of time a lot better. "Juicy" and "Notorious Thugs" are frequent plays for me.

Got pretty into 50/ G-Unit for a little while. Someone mentioned "Ether" as the best burn Album, but I think "I Smell Pvssy" is the best around.

Young Jeezy is always fun to listen to. I put it on Jeezy pandora when I work out. I won't lie, I sometimes flip to little Wayne for workouts too. For some reason, recently, I always listen to "right Above It" as my plane is landing in Vegas. Can't explain it.

Newer stuff: Lupe Fiasco is pretty ridiculous lyrically. Daydreamin' is a fantastic song. Guess it's not really new anymore though. I like a little J. Cole, Big Sean and older Kanye (through the wire).

Can't get into the new radio stuff where they cry/ moan the whole song.

Best rapper alive, i guess is Jay-Z, but its almost like its only because he is still alive. I always thought his stuff was a little overrated, but he has been doing it for so long at a consistent level that he deserves respect. If I am going through my music library and there is a rap song I just really want to hear, it is never Jay-Z.

Best rapper alive: Kendrick
Best rap group right now: RTJ

Alive- Outkast and any member from WU. Southernplayalisticadillacmusiz is the shiznit. That's true Outkast. Aquemini is just a classic as well. Anything pre-Stankonia. Of course Goodie Mob was the bomb too. Check out Thought Process by Goodie. Hard to believe they were writing stuff like that in 95' when southern rap wasn't that cool. Of Course "just pick up the Wu tang double CD and you'll get all of the education you need." Wu tang as individuals would shred any rapper.
Dead- BIG
Group- Wu Tang
Lyrics- Wu Tang back in the day. Within the last 10 years I'd say Eminem.
Personal Favorite- Jadakiss and Method Man

Who ya got?

Best Rapper Alive: Jay Z
Best Rapper Alive or Dead: Biggie
Best Rap Group: Tribe Called Quest
Best Lyricist: Eminem

Personal Favorite: Jadakiss
Alive: kendrick lamar, scarface
Dead or alive: biggie or big L
Group: outkast- southernplayalistik
Lyricist : kendrick lamar ( good kid maad city is the best album in last 10yrs)

I don't know if you guys enjoys side-show bad rap but Stitches has me in stitches. NSFW. I can't believe the guy thinks he's good.

bubba watson is the answer , kb aint bad either, seriously though lecrea trip lee tedashi andy mineo kb are all good.

I'm going to see Raekwon and Ghostface Killah sunday night. Enter the 36 chambers was awesome back in the day/

Mobb Deep "The Infamous" album is still in myrotation 15 years later.

Beastie Boys License to Ill is a top 5 album EVER. . rap or any genre
This guys gets it.

For me, it's impossible to pick a favorite. The best five rap albums of all time are easy though -
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Chef and Ghost
Illmatic - Nas
Paul's Boutique - Beasties (my desert island record)
Ready to Die - BIG
Midnight Marauders - Tribe

And the best verses -
I woke up early on my born day... Nas from Life's a Bitch
If I ever went solo, my favorite MC would be me... Phife from Clap your Hands
For every rhyme I write, it's 25 to life... Havoc (Mob Deep) Shook Ones
Only 24 hours in a day, only 12 notes, but my man can play... Beasties from Shadrach
Now there she goes again, the dopest Ethiopian... Pharcyde from passin me by

If pressed though, the best living rapper has to be Eminem. Yuck. Wish Biggie was still around...

Reactions: damecourt
I'm sorry but the Nas love I just dont understand...1 good album rest of them were shit.

Also, as far Pac/Biggie goes does anyone feel like they get more love because they died during career. I think they get boosted up because they died "for hip hop". Just a theory not taking away from them. Also some people say they didnt live long enough to make bad music either.

I'm going to see Raekwon and Ghostface Killah sunday night. Enter the 36 chambers was awesome back in the day/

Mobb Deep "The Infamous" album is still in myrotation 15 years later.

Beastie Boys License to Ill is a top 5 album EVER. . rap or any genre

ilt.gif

Reactions: idohvac2
I'm sorry but the Nas love I just dont understand...1 good album rest of them were shit.

Also, as far Pac/Biggie goes does anyone feel like they get more love because they died during career. I think they get boosted up because they died "for hip hop". Just a theory not taking away from them. Also some people say they didnt live long enough to make bad music either.
It Was Written and Stillmatic are damn good albums along with Illmatic.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm also not going to be the guy that questions your age. However, I will say that your statements couldn't be further from the truth. Both 2Pac and Biggie were icons during their time. Are they more idolized now by a younger generation because of their deaths? Sure. But do you realize how many albums 2Pac has released? That guy was a lyricist machine with 10 or so albums in just 5 short years. He was a really intelligent person. Oh, and he was an actor as well.

There a couple really good documentaries on his life detailing his childhood in Baltimore all the way to his death as a hip-hop star that are worth checking out.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm also not going to be the guy that questions your age. However, I will say that your statements couldn't be further from the truth. Both 2Pac and Biggie were icons during their time. Are they more idolized now by a younger generation because of their deaths? Sure. But do you realize how many albums 2Pac has released? That guy was a lyricist machine with 10 or so albums in just 5 short years. He was a really intelligent person. Oh, and he was an actor as well.

There a couple really good documentaries on his life detailing his childhood in Baltimore all the way to his death as a hip-hop star that are worth checking out.

In no way am I saying that Tupac and Biggie didnt make great music or that they arent top 5. I'm just saying I think a lot of people boost them up even higher because its perceived that they died for rap. Imagine if 50 Cent had died after Get Rich or Die Tryin over rap beef he would be talked about as legendary status. That was my point

Eh, nobody ever considered 50 a particularly great rapper. Great persona to some degree, but never a great rapper. Pac and Biggie brought the flair and the mic skills.

I actually really enjoy Nas' most recent album Life Is Good. To call his catalogue trash other than Illmatic is ridiculous.

Also need to mention Common. He has made some great albums over the years with J Dilla, Kanye, and No ID making the beats. My favorites are from the Electric Circus-Be-Finding Forever period. Really like his most album, too, and the duet with Nas (Ghetto Dreams) from a few years back is an all time favorite track.

Was highly disappointed with Kendrick Lamar's followup to GKMC.

Big L died early in his career and still doesn't get the credit he deserves. He was a lyrical genius. Nobody could touch him as a lyricists.

In no way am I saying that Tupac and Biggie didnt make great music or that they arent top 5. I'm just saying I think a lot of people boost them up even higher because its perceived that they died for rap. Imagine if 50 Cent had died after Get Rich or Die Tryin over rap beef he would be talked about as legendary status. That was my point

I understood your point ... But oh geez. 50 Cent is not a good example.

Let me ask you this ... Do you think Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) are popular because of their deaths? I'll even throw out Bradley Nowell (Sublime)? Or is it because of their talent? All are held in acclaim but had relatively short careers similar to 2Pac and Biggie.

I understood your point ... But oh geez. 50 Cent is not a good example.

Let me ask you this ... Do you think Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) are popular because of their deaths? I'll even throw out Bradley Nowell (Sublime)? Or is it because of their talent? All are held in acclaim but had relatively short careers similar to 2Pac and Biggie.

Well Get Rich sold 13 million copies in 2003 so at the time it would be a great example if he died say right before Massacre came out. At the time he was on every feature and G-Unit/Aftermath pretty much ran rap at the time. I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone Hendrix/Big/Cobain/Pac/Joplin/Morrison or anyone that died early. All Im saying is when people die early they get moved up a couple spots. For example when people talk about Len Bias. You never hear anyone say a bad word about him, he was better than Jordan, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT