ADVERTISEMENT

Charleston Shooting Victims Families Receiving 29 Million

Tell this to the families of the kids that were killed at Cleveland Park in Sptbg. On the train that derailed and flipped. A government ran park with a train that went too fast that wasn't caught by a government inspector. I think they got less than $200K collectively due to some law limiting the amount per case.

huh? is this a troll? i literally re-read the article to make sure I didnt miss something. but nope, you just made that up?

This, according to the article, doesnt come close to a chunk of change per person...
"An unspecified portion of the money, allocated under the government's national Crime Victim Assistance Formula Grant program, can be used to provide services to the families of victims of the shootings at Emmanuel AME Church"
Iceheart ok the above article you tell me how much each individual family is getting. Since you have all of the knowledge of the world.

Wow... I agree with the poster above who said military families have to be outraged. Yes, I feel sorry for the families, but military members pay for their SGLI and the cap is $400k. This really makes me sick and currently is a recurring theme with our gov't.

I think it is more of the fact that they are "fast tracking" this money is what has military families upset.

Morning Gents!
It is truly interesting how people will find away to blame the President. This grant was put in place in 1984 under the GREAT President Reagan. Now let the narrative change on how great of a idea this was to have a grant for victims. Also, it has been asked why the soldiers can't recieve this or something similiar in fashion. Soldiers volunteer to join and put their life on the line to protect us from terrorism and these victims were murdered by a Terrorist. I think more of you have a problem with amount or who received the money then why.

XCUDB

It does seem like too much money.

I know the government paid money to both Newtown & Boston in the wake of those tragedies. Not $27 Million.

It falls under the following grant program started in 2009.

http://ojp.gov/ovc/grants/pdftxt/FY15_Victim_Assistance_Formula_Grant_Soliciation_Revised_508.pdf

I do no believe that all the money goes to the families. I believe the majority goes to Charleston, Law Enforcement, Trauma Counseling, etc.. at least that was the case with Sandy Hook.

Morning Gents!
It is truly interesting how people will find away to blame the President. This grant was put in place in 1984 under the GREAT President Reagan. Now let the narrative change on how great of a idea this was to have a grant for victims. Also, it has been asked why the soldiers can't recieve this or something similiar in fashion. Soldiers volunteer to join and put their life on the line to protect us from terrorism and these victims were murdered by a Terrorist. I think more of you have a problem with amount or who received the money then why.

XCUDB

Has nothing to do with soldiers receiving something in similar fashion...it has to do withy he benefits they have earned are not awarded In timely fashion

But then again should we be surprised when a vast majority of military absentee ballots were sent out too late for them to return them yet New Jersey got to vote online...military has taken second fiddle. Unfortunate but true

Morning Gents!

XCUDB

I rarely weigh in on these political discussions b/c everyone just talks past each other and I consider myself to be very middle of the road. But I do want to express some thoughts on this one which will probably earn hate from both sides.

I haven't seen anything indicating the exact parameters of this program- why it was put into place, how do they determine the amount of the grant, who exactly is eligible, etc. It is very possible that we don't have enough info to truly judge the merit of this program.

Having said that, it seems very hard to me to justify giving victims of ANY tragedy $3M from the government. I can understand giving some amount for funeral services and I suppose I could even understand an additional sum, for example, if the person were the primary breadwinner in a household. But even well-off people generally don't have much more than $500,000 in life insurance. To me that seems like it should be the absolute max- even if you have a good justification of why the government is paying any amount at all.

Morning Gents!

XCUDB
Get outta here with that. You sound like every other American who doesn't give a shit about the military... I'm not saying soldiers should be getting paid millions. I'm saying the families of the victims should not be. I'm sure the widow, left with three kids after her husband was KIA, would love to hear your explanation of why they don't deserve much.

Reactions: Earle36
Why did the President of the United States

Goodness man. You're really making yourself look stupid.

A) It's widely known that President Obama knew Senator Pinckney before his murder.

B) Are you really questioning why The President of The United States of America spoke at a state Senator's funeral after he was murdered in an act of terrorism?

C) Did it also bother you that The President spoke at Beau Biden's funeral?

D) On a scale of 1-10 how pissed will you be when the CBF comes down?

E) When you refer to African Americans, you refer to them as "blacks" don't you?

F) Do you think Obama is a Muslim?

G) Do you fall asleep watching Fox News every night?

Ok... I think thats enough for now.

that is bullshit. He didn't know Clem Pinckney any more than he knew the other 8 victims. He may have shook his hand once. "Widely known", where did you get that, MSNBC?

Interesting that I did know Clem Pinckney and worked with him on many issues as he represented the district I work in. I was apart from him politically, but respected him, Jennifer, and his girls and he was a good and decent human being.

I was at his viewing to pay my respects on Thursday. Not at the state house with all the state leaders, not at the College of Charleston arena with all the Cable News cameras and politicians and black leaders looking for a photo op at the expense of this tragedy. I was yet at the little St. John AME Church off Tillman Road outside of Ridgeland, SC with no air conditioning and country folks lined up for a quarter mile to pay their respects in 100 degree heat, with no TV Cameras, Media, or outsiders looking for a photo op. This is who he was, where he was from, and what he was about.

The fact they deem it Domestic Terrorism has me upset. That was NEVER the intent of the law. Domestic Terrorism? How about Tranny Reno and Waco?
Wasn't Waco considered domestic terrorism

Morning Gents!

XCUDB

Ahh the race card. You have a history of throwing that out when some one has a legitimate argument that goes against YOUR narrative. It's obvious that your line of thinking is that all repubicans are racist biggots that have no right to judge our lord and savior President Obama. You right, no one could possibly have any legit argument against Obamas action's or policies unless they are either racists or dumb, but probably both. Tell me im wrong.

Get outta here with that. You sound like every other American who doesn't give a shit about the military... I'm not saying soldiers should be getting paid millions. I'm saying the families of the victims should not be. I'm sure the widow, left with three kids after her husband was KIA, would love to hear your explanation of why they don't deserve much.

I was wondering who would be the first to say something like this. I am glad I don't believe how I sound to you. For me not give an ish about the military would be equal to me turning my back on my 5 uncles, 1 aunt, and 2 best friends who have served in the military. Just a lil information, both of my friends are Clemson grads with one being my roommate and teammate. He is on is 17th year of service. Get to know me it is more to me then this board.

XCUDB

I rarely weigh in on these political discussions b/c everyone just talks past each other and I consider myself to be very middle of the road. But I do want to express some thoughts on this one which will probably earn hate from both sides.

I haven't seen anything indicating the exact parameters of this program- why it was put into place, how do they determine the amount of the grant, who exactly is eligible, etc. It is very possible that we don't have enough info to truly judge the merit of this program.

Having said that, it seems very hard to me to justify giving victims of ANY tragedy $3M from the government. I can understand giving some amount for funeral services and I suppose I could even understand an additional sum, for example, if the person were the primary breadwinner in a household. But even well-off people generally don't have much more than $500,000 in life insurance. To me that seems like it should be the absolute max- even if you have a good justification of why the government is paying any amount at all.

The money is going to the state, not directly to each family. Each family is not getting $3MM

Why did the President of the United States

Goodness man. You're really making yourself look stupid.

A) It's widely known that President Obama knew Senator Pinckney before his murder.

B) Are you really questioning why The President of The United States of America spoke at a state Senator's funeral after he was murdered in an act of terrorism?

C) Did it also bother you that The President spoke at Beau Biden's funeral?

D) On a scale of 1-10 how pissed will you be when the CBF comes down?

E) When you refer to African Americans, you refer to them as "blacks" don't you?

F) Do you think Obama is a Muslim?

G) Do you fall asleep watching Fox News every night?

Ok... I think thats enough for now.

A) He didn't know him at all

B) I don't think that he questioned this

C) Completely unrelated

D) Completely unrelated

E) If you think someone is a racist, why don't you call them out directly?

F) Again unrelated, but my personal belief is that he is an atheist like most far leftist

G) What's wrong with Fox news, other than it's the only network that ever questions King Obama which tends to piss off liberals like you

Only if our Government was considered a Terrorist group. I'm talking Clinton and Reno....not the recent motorcycle gang pow wow turned shootem' up cowboy incident. That was NOT terroristic in any way, shape or form.

Ms. Reno took care of business. She gave those at Waco ample time to surrender, but they didn't. So she dealt with the accordingly. Just like she raided Elian Gonzalez's home and sent him back to cuba, and just like she has Timothy Mcveigh executed in only 4 years.

from US GOV. Obviously a terrible situation for everyone involved, but this seems like an insane amount of money. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/re...-shooting-victims-families.html#ixzz3eSrXdetZ
from US GOV. Obviously a terrible situation for everyone involved, but this seems like an insane amount of money. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/re...-shooting-victims-families.html#ixzz3eSrXdetZ

This is a repost of mine from the other "64 years" thread but it applies here as well:

From the article: "An unspecified portion of the money, allocated under the government's national Crime Victim Assistance Formula Grant program, can be used to provide services to the families of victims of the shootings at Emmanuel AME Church, spokesman Kevin Lewis said."

Before we get all outraged over a headline and start doing rando math, it might be a good thing to educate ourselves on what exactly the program does and how the programs works. Per the Office of Victims of Crime, there only certain things victims can receive compensation for by statute. Those crime-related costs are limited to:
  • Medical costs.
  • Funeral and burial costs.
  • Mental health counseling.
  • Lost wages or loss of support.
Other compensable expenses may include the replacement or repair of eyeglasses or other corrective lenses, dental services and devices, prosthetic devices, crime scene cleanup, and forensic sexual assault exams. These funds cannot pay for property damage, property replacement cost, crime scene clean-up, household utilities, babysitting expenses, groceries, attorney fees or "pain and suffering."

Reading through the OVC's website, I'd imagine much of that $29 million will go to the State of South Carolina for various programs that help in crime prevention and victim assistance programs. Moreover, it appears that the law requires to state to administer the funds through the SC State Office of Victim Assistance. As such, this isn't just a case were the federal guberment and Obummer are just writing a check to the victims.

Links:

Federal OVC - http://ojp.gov/

SC SOVA - http://sova.sc.gov/index.html

No matter who or where it goes, that was NOT domestic terrorism. It WAS a hate crime. That's my beef.
The money isn't allocated due to domestic terrorism, it's a victim of violent crimes program. Not sure where you got the terrorism thing.

Not that I really want to join this shit show, but the title is a little misleading.

The SC Department of Public safety received the grant (No. 2015-VA-GX-0001), and states receive some level of funding every year from the VOCA program. SC received $11 million from this same program last year.

Not sure if the grant was applied for after the murders, but it normally takes a long time to get grant documents together and the original news release was two days after the murder.

Last edited:
Reactions: slingle
No matter who or where it goes, that was NOT domestic terrorism. It WAS a hate crime. That's my beef.

The federal website indicates that the grants are available to victims of 'domestic terrorism and mass violence.' Assuming this situation meets whatever the other eligibility requirements are, they would surely fall under the mass violence provision, I would think.

Ms. Reno took care of business. She gave those at Waco ample time to surrender, but they didn't. So she dealt with the accordingly. Just like she raided Elian Gonzalez's home and sent him back to cuba, and just like she has Timothy Mcveigh executed in only 4 years.

That would be your opinion. IMO, Reno had zero business there. That was for the state to handle. And WTF did we have the Justice Department dressed out and armed militarily? That was and is against our Constitution IF you consider the FBI police.

Ron, I agree with you on most things. This, not. I will say this....If/When there is a civil war in this country again, IMO it will be to take back States' Rights. There was never any intention to have the Federal Government become as involved in our lives as WE have allowed them. IMO, it's time to reel their asses in. That's JMO, as it was in the last elections.

jesus christ. this thread is like some sort of joke...

NOBODY IS GETTING 3 MILLION DOLLARS. READ THE ARTICLE, ITS A TOTAL OF LIKE 4 SENTENCES. This is straight out of a movie or something.

NOBODY IS GETTING $3 MILLION DOLLARS. AS POSTED ABOVE, AND MENTIONED IN THE ACTUAL ARTICLE. THE MONEY GOES TO THE STATE SO THEY CAN HELP THE VICTIMS PAY FOR VARIOUS EXPENSES. THIS DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE GOING TO GET A LARGE CASH AWARD FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

amazing. honestly amazing.

The money isn't allocated due to domestic terrorism, it's a victim of violent crimes program. Not sure where you got the terrorism thing.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Where is that money for that poor guy shot down by the cop in N. Charleston if that's the case? If that's not a violent crime then I'm a blimp pilot....and that was awhile back.

Reactions: nmerritt11
That would be your opinion. IMO, Reno had zero business there. That was for the state to handle. And WTF did we have the Justice Department dressed out and armed militarily? That was and is against our Constitution IF you consider the FBI police.

Ron, I agree with you on most things. This, not. I will say this....If/When there is a civil war in this country again, IMO it will be to take back States' Rights. There was never any intention to have the Federal Government become as involved in our lives as WE have allowed them. IMO, it's time to reel their asses in. That's JMO, as it was in the last elections.

I am actually a big believer in states rights. Perfect example is last week. I dont care if gheys get married or not, based on the constitution it should have been settled at the state level.

However the Branch Dividians were accused of federal weapons violations, then shot several ATF agents serving a warrant. When a federal employee is killed, it becomes a federal case. The whole thing was handled poorly, and there was much brushed under the rug, just like at Ruby Ridge...but they dug their own grave.

I am actually a big believer in rights. Perfect example is last week. I dont care if gheys get married or not, based on the constitution it should have been settled at the state level.

However the Branch Dividians were accused of federal weapons violations, then shot several ATF agents serving a warrant. When a federal employee is killed, it becomes a federal case. The whole thing was handled poorly, and there was much brushed under the rug, just like at Ruby Ridge...but they dug their own grave.

That's what's scary as hell. The Feds just tell you what happened you'd best believe it....UNLESS you catch their hands in the cookie jar. Hillary not sending troops in to save her fellow State Dept. colleague throws that argument out the window, though. That is why we reel the Feds in before this country is destroyed beyond repair.

I was wondering who would be the first to say something like this. I am glad I don't believe how I sound to you. For me not give an ish about the military would be equal to me turning my back on my 5 uncles, 1 aunt, and 2 best friends who have served in the military. Just a lil information, both of my friends are Clemson grads with one being my roommate and teammate. He is on is 17th year of service. Get to know me it is more to me then this board.

XCUDB
Oh so having family and friends in the military makes it okay for you to say the military doesn't deserve more than what they get now? Just a lil information for you, I've had a buddy get KIA, and I am in Afghanistan right now. I'm not trying to toot my own horn because that's DEFINITELY not why I serve. I serve for the right reasons. It's easy to say the things you say when you've never been in their shoes. Maybe I just misinterpreted what you said and if so I apologize in advance, It's just a sensitive subject for me.

This thread is a great example of why politics are so divisive in America today and how so many people are being pushed to the extremes of both sides of every issue and we cant get anything done in thia country. Its also a great example of how hate groups of all types thrive on misinformation. Someone sees a sentence or hears a rumor or misunderstands something, they take it at face value and angrily post it to Facebook, email it or post it on a message board with little understanding of the issue. Recipients of said misunderstood or often false info then overreact and rinse and repeat actions of the original messenger.

I learned a long time ago that if something seems extreme, outrageous or unbelievable, before I get all worked up over it I probably need to dig into the details a little more before reacting. When you get said info from a message board or Facebook that rule of thumb applies even more. Most of the things we all hate each other for are perpetuated on a bunch of misunderstood bullcrap. Unfortunately, that has always been the case but in today's information age the bullcrap flys faster and farther than ever.

This thread is a great example of why politics are so divisive in America today and how so many people are being pushed to the extremes of both sides of every issue and we cant get anything done in thia country. Its also a great example of how hate groups of all types thrive on misinformation. Someone sees a sentence or hears a rumor or misunderstands something, they take it at face value and angrily post it to Facebook, email it or post it on a message board with little understanding of the issue. Recipients of said misunderstood or often false info then overreact and rinse and repeat actions of the original messenger.

I learned a long time ago that if something seems extreme, outrageous or unbelievable, before I get all worked up over it I probably need to dig into the details a little more before reacting. When you get said info from a message board or Facebook that rule of thumb applies even more. Most of the things we all hate each other for are perpetuated on a bunch of misunderstood bullcrap. Unfortunately, that has always been the case but in today's information age the bullcrap flys faster and farther than ever.

Very well said.

Iceheart ok the above article you tell me how much each individual family is getting. Since you have all of the knowledge of the world.

you cant possible be this dumb. THE ARTICLE IS 4 SENTENCES. I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH EACH FAMILY IS GETTING. I do know the money is going to the state, and the state is going to disburse that money to help families pay for the expenses related to a family dying. There is a quote from the law ITT outlining what exactly that entails. Each family IS NOT getting a chunk of cash.

Can you not read?

Honestly, how am I the one being called dumb ITT. This is like some kind of weird nightmare.

A true Conservative is not extreme but very reasonable. Can't say the same, for a true liberal.

Agreed. A bunch of folks making themselves look dumb ITT due to misinformation (or rather, being too lazy to actually read the information).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT