ADVERTISEMENT

I am a Clemson fan, not an NFL fan, and I am not much concerned with how Clemson fans do in the pro game.

Ole Tom

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
Charlotte
I have been a hard core Clemson football fan for 55 years. I love Clemson football and have seen hundreds of games live and in person, home and away. I love the guys who play for Clemson and I am not particularly concerned with how former Tigers do in the pro game.

Don Kelly was a great Clemson DB and Kick Returner. CJ had an unremarkable pro career, but I think he was the greatest open field runner in the history of college football. Did any college player have more TD runs of greater than 50 yards than CJ Spiller? I think not.

Dwight Clark was a nice Clemson receiver, but he was a bigger name in the pro game than in the college game. I am happy for Clark's success and name in the NFL, but as a Clemson player he was not in the same league as Jerry Butler or Perry Tuttle or more than a few other excellent Tiger wide receivers.

RayRay was a much ballyhooed high school player and he has been a fine pro player. But no Clemson punt or kick returner ever muffed as many punts as Ray Ray and kept his job.

Dantzer was an other worldly college QB. If 6 was in the game, he could win it at the college level. His game did not translate well to the NFL level and I don't give a darn. Anyone who saw Dantzler play his last few years as a Tiger QB knows he was one of the best college players ever.

Mitch Hyatt started for Clemson at offensive line. In his four years as an O-lineman, Clemson won four conference titles and 2 national titles. In his last year on the O-line, in the last ten minutes of the game Clemson ran all over a much praised Alabama team. Before Hyatt and his buddies beat the crap out of Alabama, some said the Tide that year was a 'best ever' team. Mitch Hyatt was not a big success in the NFL, but please do not try to talk me out of how great a college o-lineman I think he was.

I do not easily speak badly about any man who ever played football for The Tigers. They are all better men than me, all great athletes and all get my support. Anthony Rose was as good a football player as I was ever pleased to watch play the game. Steve Fuller was a great great college QB.

First round, last round or never played lick in the NFL is immaterial to me. I love all the guys who played for our Tigers.

Go Tigers!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News