ADVERTISEMENT

Just so I'm Clear, Republicans now Hate Limited Government and States' Rights?

Pay no attention to the many problems here and around the world. No,no,no Christian nationalists . Christian Nationalists.
ca56ac28b623cec21b964e57d492bae186c75121.gif

Reactions: TigerGrowls
It's the same with all religions (and I consider myself a Christian). When people are being oppressed b/c of their religion, they are all about Religious freedom. When they get the chance, they are happy to do the same to others.

To use an example from our own history, take the Pilgrims. They were oppressed in England and France in a big way. They came to America and basically the first thing they did was put up stocks to put anyone that didn't follow their beliefs in.

So in this case, it's not surprising that these folks are all about freedom of religion, but believe that America should be a Christian nation.

It's the same with all religions (and I consider myself a Christian). When people are being oppressed b/c of their religion, they are all about Religious freedom. When they get the chance, they are happy to do the same to others.

To use an example from our own history, take the Pilgrims. They were oppressed in England and France in a big way. They came to America and basically the first thing they did was put up stocks to put anyone that didn't follow their beliefs in.

So in this case, it's not surprising that these folks are all about freedom of religion, but believe that America should be a Christian nation.
It's not surprising, but it's a huge problem for the rest of us nonetheless.

Reactions: flotiger
I don't have a dog in the fight but i have a hard time understanding how Christian Nationalism is going to take over when the amount of people who believe in religion is on a fairly significant decline in the US. The data does not support the hypothesis.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
I don't have a dog in the fight but i have a hard time understanding how Christian Nationalism is going to take over when the amount of people who believe in religion is on a fairly significant decline in the US. The data does not support the hypothesis.
It’s an odd situation but the wishes of the majority have lost out on two of the biggest issues in this country - gun control and abortion.

It’s sad that elected officials won’t represent the interests of the public and IMO is the reason so many people distrust politicians.

Reactions: okclem

As a Christian, I think you make a good point. Americans identifying as Christians has been on a decline for 60 years.

In 2020 it was 64% (90% in 1970), but a much smaller percentage admitted to regular church attendance. And certainly, folks that would be considered “Christian Nationalist” is a minority in that 64%. Statistics show that over two-thirds are Baby Boomers, who are nearing the end. Gen X (and younger) Christians tend to separate their spiritual and political lives much better than Boomers.

As a Christian, I’m more concerned with the damage Christian Nationalism does to the spread of the Gospel than American politics. Non-believers see Jesus through the lives and actions of His followers. If you profess to be a Christian and are not exhibiting Fruits of the Spirit (as defined in Galatians 5:22-23) then you are driving people away.

Christian Nationalism focuses on trying to legislate morality (legalism) and less on being “fishers of men” through love and forgiveness. Legalism has always driven folks away. Just ask the Pharisees.

No dog and no clue

As a Christian, I think you make a good point. Americans identifying as Christians has been on a decline for 60 years.

In 2020 it was 64% (90% in 1970), but a much smaller percentage admitted to regular church attendance. And certainly, folks that would be considered “Christian Nationalist” is a minority in that 64%. Statistics show that over two-thirds are Baby Boomers, who are nearing the end. Gen X (and younger) Christians tend to separate their spiritual and political lives much better than Boomers.

As a Christian, I’m more concerned with the damage Christian Nationalism does to the spread of the Gospel than American politics. Non-believers see Jesus through the lives and actions of His followers. If you profess to be a Christian and are not exhibiting Fruits of the Spirit (as defined in Galatians 5:22-23) then you are driving people away.

Christian Nationalism focuses on trying to legislate morality (legalism) and less on being “fishers of men” through love and forgiveness. Legalism has always driven folks away. Just ask the Pharisees.
What these magas who have a hard on for violence and oppression don't seem to realize, is this movement is as much a threat to democracy as it is to Christianity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT