ADVERTISEMENT

Monkees/U2/The Who/Rolling Stones/Michael Jackson/Collective Soul/Weekend Music Thread

scartiger

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2010
They announced it today about the release of their new double album Here To Eternity. Has 20 new songs except the remake of an Elvis song that's on the album. They made the entire album the month of January of 2023 at Elvis house in Palm Springs. It's fantastic with some acoustic songs, some strings, some piano, but of course some kick ass Rock and Roll. Due to be released on May 17th if I'm not mistaken. Couple of songs that's on the new album.

And 2 more.

Some pictures Ed's wife sent from Elvis's house from January 2023.

On this day in 1979, the Art Garfunkel single “Bright Eyes” debuted on the UK Singles Chart at #66 (February 25)

The song by British songwriter Mike Batt was written for the soundtrack of the 1978 British animated adventure drama film “Watership Down”, with original director John Hubley requesting a song about death.

Batt described recording the song as "one of the most difficult sessions" of his career as he wrote the lyrics with his father in mind who was terminally ill with cancer at the time.

This arrangement of "Bright Eyes" topped the UK Singles Chart for six weeks and became Britain's biggest-selling single of 1979, selling over a million copies.

In the United States, it failed to reach the Billboard Hot 100…

Elsewhere the song went to #1 in the Netherlands and Belgium, #2 in Australia, New Zealand and Switzerland, and #3 in Germany, Austria, Norway and Sweden.

Click on the link below to watch:

Beatles legend George Harrison was born in Liverpool, England, on this day in 1943 (February 25)

The faces out front for the Beatles were often John Lennon and Paul McCartney, but George Harrison preferred to stay in the background, writing his songs, playing his guitar, and singing those beautiful harmonies.

He embraced Indian culture and helped broaden the scope of popular music through his incorporation of Indian instrumentation and Hindu-aligned spirituality in the Beatles' work.

Although the majority of the band’s songs were written by Lennon and McCartney, most Beatles albums from 1965 onwards contained at least two Harrison compositions, including songs like Taxman", “While My Guitar Gently Weeps", and “Here Comes the Sun".

After the band's break-up in 1970, Harrison released the triple album “All Things Must Pass”, a critically acclaimed work that produced his most successful hit single, "My Sweet Lord", a #1 hit around the world, the biggest-selling single of 1971 in the UK, and the very first #1 single by an ex-Beatle.

In 1988, he co-founded the platinum-selling supergroup the Traveling Wilburys with Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne, originating from an idea discussed by Harrison and Lynne during the sessions for Harrison's 1987 album “Cloud Nine”.

Harrison died of cancer on 29 November 2001, , aged 58.

In 2004, Harrison was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist by his former bandmates Lynne and Petty.

He was also posthumously honoured with The Recording Academy's Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammy Awards in February 2015.

Click on the link below to watch “My Sweet Lord”:

On this day in 1984, the Bonnie Tyler single “Holding Out For A Hero” debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at #84 (February 25)

Paramount Pictures asked Tyler to record a song for the soundtrack to the 1984 film “Footloose”.

She agreed on the condition that Jim Steinman, who was her producer at the time through CBS/Columbia, could work with her on the project, which turned out to be “Holding Out For A Hero”.

Steinman wrote the song with Dean Pitchford, who co-wrote every song on the soundtrack album.

The song did best in Ireland where it went all the way to #1, and the UK, where it reached #2.

In 2004, Jennifer Saunders recorded a version of the song which featured in the film “Shrek 2”.

On this day in 1979, The Bee Gees single “Tragedy” went to #1 on the UK Singles Chart (February 25)

Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb wrote this song and "Too Much Heaven" in an afternoon off from making the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie, in which they were starring.

In the same evening, they wrote "Shadow Dancing", which was performed by little bro Andy Gibb (and reached #1 in the US).

It also topped the charts in the US, Canada, Spain France, New Zealand, Ireland, and Italy, and went to #2 in Australia, South Africa, Austria, Switzerland and Germany, #3 in Belgium, #4 in the Netherlands and Norway, and #6 in Sweden.

In the US, it was the fifth of six consecutive #1 songs, tying the record with Bing Crosby, Elvis Presley, and the Beatles for most consecutive #1 songs in the US.

On this day in 1980, the Split Enz single “I Got You” debuted on the Australian charts at #67 (February 25)

Written by a 21-year-old Neil Finn, the song from the “True Colours” LP was Split Enz’s most commercially successful single.
Released in January 1980, by July that year it had become the biggest selling single in Australian history…

Neil recalled: "I think Tim came up with the title. We were sitting around in Rose Bay, Sydney, writing and I remember thinking the chorus was kind of weak.
But when we rehearsed it, it felt really good straight away."

Initially, neither Neil, nor Michael Gudinski of Mushroom Records, believed the song would become a hit, Gudinski believing none of the tracks on “True Colours” had hit potential.

Proving Gudinski wrong, it not only topped the charts in Australia, it also went to #1 in New Zealand, #12 in the UK, #13 in Canada, #19 in Ireland, and #53 in the US.

The song was also ranked #11 on the Australasian Performing Right Association's Top 100 New Zealand Songs Of All Time list.

Check out a very young Neil Finn in the film clip looking very different from his later Crowded House and Fleetwood Mac days....

On this day in 1978, the Blondie LP “Plastic Letters” debuted on the US Billboard 200 Albums Chart at #178 (February 25)

Blondie’s second studio album went to #2 in the Netherlands, #10 in the UK, #33 in Sweden, #38 in New Zealand, #64 in Australia, and #72 in Australia.

Blondie’s second bass player Gary Valentine, left for a solo career prior to the recording of “Plastic Letters”, and his departure led to Chris Stein playing bass on the album, as well as his usual guitar.

Valentine’s song "(I'm Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear" was an album highlight, as was “Denis” and “Detroit 442”.

Click on the link to watch “Detroit 442”:

On this day in 1967, the Beatles single “Penny Lane” debuted at #85 on the US Billboard charts (February 25)

The Paul McCartney composition (credited to Lennon–McCartney) was a double A-side single with “Strawberry Fields Forever”, and the lyrics refer to Penny Lane, a street in Liverpool, and the sights and characters that McCartney recalled from his upbringing in the city.

While both songs refer to actual locations, McCartney said that the two pieces also had strong surrealistic and psychedelic overtones.

McCartney reflected:

"Penny Lane" was kind of nostalgic, but it was really [about] a place that John and I knew ... I'd get a bus to his house and I'd have to change at Penny Lane, or the same with him to me, so we often hung out at that terminus, like a roundabout.
It was a place that we both knew, and so we both knew the things that turned up in the story.”

On the US Billboard Hot 100 the two sides of a single were counted separately whether defined as a double A-side or not (for example, "She's a Woman" reached #4 in 1964 despite being a B-side). "Penny Lane" topped the chart for one week, while "Strawberry Fields Forever" peaked at #8.

In the United States, the song became the band's 13th single to reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

“Penny Lane" was the side favoured by chart compilers in Australia, where the single was #1 for five weeks.

It peaked at #2 in the UK due to chart protocol whereby only the sales of the best-selling side of a double A-side were eligible, and the record's overall sales were effectively halved.

The single was also #1 in Germany (four weeks), the Netherlands and New Zealand (each for three weeks), Canada, Denmark and Malaysia.
It also peaked at #2 in Ireland, #3 in Italy, #4 in Belgium and France, and #5 in Austria.

In 2021, Rolling Stone ranked the track at #280 on its list of the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time".

Click on the link below to watch the clip, which was one of the earliest music videos:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News