ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Myrtle Beach Restaurant recommendations.....

Several of the other early risers and I had breakfast at Hoskins in Ocean Drive this morning. I asked the waitress if it was still run by the Hoskins family and she said, "Yes, 3rd generation now." I told her I brought my date to dinner there in the summer of 1956. She wanted to know how that worked out and the other five at the table said, "Pretty good for us!" Don't know that it would be the place I would go for dinner but it's pretty hard to mess up ham, eggs and grits.

This is true, I know the family really well. AWESOME people. They were at one time big Gamecock fans, however their oldest son now attends Clemson and he has fallen in love with the good guys, and they are well on their way.

Pomaria Tiger, next time you are in Cherry Grove try Basil's Pizza. I'd rate it No. 1 if you're in North Myrtle Beach. I pass the owner on his bike every morning when he's en route to make dough. He does that daily. Family-owned, extremely nice and welcoming and the pizza is terrific.

I will give it a try next time. Appreciate it.

Come on down stigers91!

--- If you're looking for calabash-fried seafood, you're not going to go wrong with either Ella's, Seafood Hut or Dockside in Calabash. If you want all-you-can-eat-buffett to save a few dollars due to the crab legs, then I would recommend Crabby Mike's in Surfside. If you don't want to drive that far, hit Bennett's but make sure it's the one on Restaurant Row.

--- If you want prime rib, I'd definitely go to Chestnut Hill or Thoroughbreds. Chestnut Hill only serves prime rib on Friday's and Saturday's as well as their Sunday brunch, which is outstanding. FWIW, of all the restaurants on The Grand Strand, Chestnut Hill is my favorite. You may want to check out their Sunday brunch.

--- If you want italian, I'd go to Chianti South in Little River or Rossi's in the Galleria on Restaurant Row.

--- If you've got a large party with you and you're trying to get several of them to agree on something, just go to Flamingo Grill in Myrtle Beach or Sea Merchant's in North Myrtle Beach.

--- If you want a burger, fries, wings, a cold beer, I'd just go to Hamburger Joe's. Very reasonable prices, though you may wait for a few minutes. Honestly, Sam's Corner has a darn good burger and a great hot dog. They never close. They're open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. Burky's is locally owned and is right off Kings Hwy in Myrtle Beach. Very underrated joint and you never have to wait.

--- You mentioned Thoroughbreds earlier. I view Thoroughbreds as a prime rib place, so if you want a ribeye the best place to go is Angelo's in Myrtle Beach. Make sure you get at least a 10-oz because anything below a 10-oz won't come on a sizzler. Tremendous quality and consistency there.

--- If you want an all-around restaurant with drinks directly on the intracoastal waterway I'd try either Greg Normans at Barefoot Landing or Filet's in North Myrtle Beach.

--- A nice, clean, very reasonably-priced BBQ place in North Myrtle Beach is the BBQ House.

--- The best place for self-serve yogurt is Menchie's in North Myrtle Beach right across from Publix. The best place for ice cream is at the Calabash Creamery in Calabash. Great family atmosphere.

--- Good breakfast joints are Dino's, The Shack in Cherry Grove and Hoskins in Ocean Drive.

Have a great time!
Chris is spot on a couple of other places that we like are Capt. Johns in Calabash and if you want good home style cooking try Mama Jeans located from the Cherry Grove exit, it is just across the Hwy 17 bridge to the right. Try the Sunday Buffett the fried okra is wonderful, also The Shack has a very reasonably priced meat and three, we enjoy the Grilled pork chops on Wednesday night.

I am going next weekend to Northern most par of Myrtle Beach and staying in the Cherry Grove section. Any good food recommendations. We like pretty much anything. I've always wanted to try Greg Norman's restaurant at Barefoot landing. I loved Thoroughbred's, but it has been years since I have been back so unsure if still as good as before. Also, Calabash is near by, so any good suggestions there.

Thanks in advance.

If you have the kids with you & don't want to break the bank but still get a great meal go to King's Pizza. it seems like its been there forever. A non-descript red & yellow painted building right on Hwy 17 up north end. The pizza / subs/ Italian dishes / & salads are AWESOME. If you go, try the "house" dressing. It's kind of unique but is outstanding either on pizza crust or on salads etc...
Have fun!
TigerWhite

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT