ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should a President have complete and total immunity for anything they do while they are President?

Should a President have complete and total immunity for anything they do while they are President?

• Total voters

nytigerfan

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2004
Curious what the board thinks. We will soon see if SCOTUS will hear this case. It looks like there are three possible scenarios.

1. SCOTUS opts to not take the case and stands by the previous court's ruling. (most likely)
2. SCOTUS takes the case and fast tracks it the same way they fast tracked trump's 14th Amendment case.
3. SCOTUS takes the case and slow plays it, opting not to hear it until the summer, and thereby giving trump an opportunity to delay his criminal cases until after the election.

Reactions: yoshi121374
I think history has clearly shown that our founding fathers went out of their way to ensure that a president would never have the power of a king. The president was always envisioned to be a regular citizen, and generally treated as such, with the same rights as everyone else.

It's an interesting topic.

I don't think there should be any absolute immunity. But there should be immunity for all presidential duties / decisions.

For example, I dont think Obama should be held liable for droning an American citizen.

Reactions: purple2

I don't think there should be any absolute immunity. But there should be immunity for all presidential duties / decisions.

For example, I dont think Obama should be held liable for droning an American citizen.
Follow up question here. Was this your philosophy before Trump made this argument in court a few weeks ago?

Follow up question here. Was this your philosophy before Trump made this argument in court a few weeks ago?
Not sure i had spent much time thinking about it. Either way the point stands. No one gets absolute immunity. You can't walk down the street and kill someone for no reason just because you are the President.

• Haha
Reactions: purple2 and okclem
Not sure i had spent much time thinking about it. Either way the point stands. No one gets absolute immunity. You can't walk down the street and kill someone for no reason just because you are the President.
I'm pretty sure you hadn't ever once thought about it. Then Trump said it and it instantly became one of your core beliefs.

**** no, send any of them to jail that break the law including Trump, Obama ( who should've been arrested for treason along with Holder), Biden for selling out the US while VP, Bush for his weapons of mass destruction bs.
Since Kennedy ( he was no angel either) which POTUS actually didn't commit some sort of act that would have most citizens locked up? Carter doesn't count, brilliant mind but clueless otherwise

Diplomatic immunity was always bullshit too. Go to the US and commit a crime on US soil, your ass goes to jail too.

Interesting response. Let me give you a hypothetical.

SCOTUS rules in trump’s favor and says the president is immune from prosecution for “presidential duties and decisions” (your words).

Biden has said several times that he believes Trump is a danger to the country. The next day he decides to have special forces take out Trump with a drone strike.

By your definition, Biden would be immune from any prosecution.

I'm pretty sure you hadn't ever once thought about it. Then Trump said it and it instantly became one of your core beliefs.
i had never thought about it---but i think the same/similar doctrine applies to governors within their sphere of responsibility. a president may have to decide to shoot down an airplane headed for a football stadium full of people. he kills 200 to save 80,000. should he be sued by the families of the 200? however, if he commits a crime he should be held accountable. i don't know exactly what would happen if the secret service witnessed Joe clock Hunter with a paperweight and killed him. what would they do? he would have to charged with murder--but would he continue to serve as president? would they delay any charges until after the term was completed?

SCOTUS rules in trump’s favor and says the president is immune from prosecution for “presidential duties and decisions” (your words).

Biden has said several times that he believes Trump is a danger to the country. The next day he decides to have special forces take out Trump with a drone strike.

Why would they prosecute Biden when they can just play the frail, senile, old man defense? They don't even need presidential immunity.

that is not an allowed presidential duty---just like hiring fake electors is not a presidential duty

Last edited:
Curious what the board thinks. We will soon see if SCOTUS will hear this case. It looks like there are three possible scenarios.

1. SCOTUS opts to not take the case and stands by the previous court's ruling. (most likely)
2. SCOTUS takes the case and fast tracks it the same way they fast tracked trump's 14th Amendment case.
3. SCOTUS takes the case and slow plays it, opting not to hear it until the summer, and thereby giving trump an opportunity to delay his criminal cases until after the election.
I believe that all Presidents should have complete immunity for all actions that I like. I believe that no President should have any immunity for any action that I do not like.

that is not an allowed presidential duty---just like hiring fake electors is not a presidential duty
I’m pretty sure the point of immunity means there’s nothing that isn’t allowed. Grab them by the pussy until the cows come home because you can’t be a rapist as a president, you’re immune.

All you lefties are bitching about the answers given but none of you are answering the question itself.

All you lefties are bitching about the answers given but none of you are answering the question itself.

A President should face the same laws as any citizen. They should not have immunity.

For the record, if anyone actually thought Trump had immunity, they wouldn't be asking presidential candidates if they would pardon him.

Reactions: Cabotiger
A President should face the same laws as any citizen. They should not have immunity.

For the record, if anyone actually thought Trump had immunity, they wouldn't be asking presidential candidates if they would pardon him.

Ok. It's going to be interesting when a Trump DOJ goes after your boy Obama. No crying.

• Haha
Reactions: dpic73
Ok. It's going to be interesting when a Trump DOJ goes after your boy Obama. No crying.

No problem here... So I assume there is actual proof of illegal activities and not just Twitter rumors and Trump crying...

Your whataboutism is hilarious. What you guys don't seem to understand is your Lord Trump is a lawbreaker and liar of epic proportions. Not many as dirty as he is.

No problem here... So I assume there is actual proof of illegal activities and not just Twitter rumors and Trump crying...

Your whataboutism is hilarious. What you guys don't seem to understand is your Lord Trump is a lawbreaker and liar of epic proportions. Not many as dirty as he is.
No one cares what the libs think. Y'all are deranged. Look at the comments in this thread.

My question to you and you seem to be a rational Dem unlike a few dingleberry's in here, I'm no Trump guy and have always thought he was a dirty business guy ( had friends that dealt with him and got screwed) but would he be under scrutiny had he never entered politics?
Would NY ever attempt to prosecute a guy "took" care of business as rapidly as he was known to have and yes of course at lower costs because he re-negotiated contracts?
He was a hero, celeb, etc to the Dems and friends with Oprah, Clintons and Hollywood before he turned and became a hypocrite like many others in the limelight.
Leave the election crap in GA and other states out, would he have been a thought my Bragg?

one of the problems you have, okclem, is that you believe every negative Biden post is a rallying cry for Trump. it's not!! it is a rallying cry for America (that includes Democrats) to wake up and recognize that we have a current president that has cognitive issues (among other things) that seem to be getting worse and his current replacement is K. Harris, possibly the worst Vice President in our history, and at a time when we have so many issues to be resolved. (the border, spiraling crime, a national debt crisis, terrible energy issues, our position and respect in the international community, etc.).

one of the problems you have, okclem, is that you believe every negative Biden post is a rallying cry for Trump. it's not!! it is a rallying cry for America (that includes Democrats) to wake up and recognize that we have a current president that has cognitive issues (among other things) that seem to be getting worse and his current replacement is K. Harris, possibly the worst Vice President in our history, and at a time when we have so many issues to be resolved. (the border, spiraling crime, a national debt crisis, terrible energy issues, our position and respect in the international community, etc.).
I don't have any problems.

yoshi121374, I thought there was hope for you and then you regress! Biden, "I have never talked to my son about his business dealings, They are all lies". Your problem is that it appears that Biden is your Lord and you don't face the issues that Biden has, There are other candidates. I am voting for one!

My question to you and you seem to be a rational Dem unlike a few dingleberry's in here, I'm no Trump guy and have always thought he was a dirty business guy ( had friends that dealt with him and got screwed) but would he be under scrutiny had he never entered politics?
Would NY ever attempt to prosecute a guy "took" care of business as rapidly as he was known to have and yes of course at lower costs because he re-negotiated contracts?
He was a hero, celeb, etc to the Dems and friends with Oprah, Clintons and Hollywood before he turned and became a hypocrite like many others in the limelight.
Leave the election crap in GA and other states out, would he have been a thought my Bragg?
No, he probably wouldn’t have ever gotten in trouble for his years of shady dealings had he never ran for office.

Also, lol at the hero comment. I can’t think of a single person who thought highly of the guy before running. He was always seen as a super shady New York real estate mogul.

yoshi121374, I thought there was hope for you and then you regress! Biden, "I have never talked to my son about his business dealings, They are all lies". Your problem is that it appears that Biden is your Lord and you don't face the issues that Biden has, There are other candidates. I am voting for one!
If they're investigated and found to have broken the law, they should throw them in jail.

A lot of the Trump folks keep bringing up Hunter Biden but I don't know a single person on the other side who gives a single rip about whether Hunter is a free man or in jail.

The fact we're going to have yet another election with these two candidates is just sad and pathetic.

No, he probably wouldn’t have ever gotten in trouble for his years of shady dealings had he never ran for office.

Also, lol at the hero comment. I can’t think of a single person who thought highly of the guy before running. He was always seen as a super shady New York real estate mogul.
I have a colleague who worked for 35 years in New York media. We talked about Trump a while back and he called Trump a clown. The difference is he was New York's clown and any time he did something notable for national headlines they'd get a chuckle out of it because he was never taken seriously.

But then he became president and there are people who actually think he was sent by a higher power to saveAmerica. If anyone wondered about the mental health crisis we're facing, they shouldn't when there are people who believe their god sent Donald effing Trump to save them

I have a colleague who worked for 35 years in New York media. We talked about Trump a while back and he called Trump a clown. The difference is he was New York's clown and any time he did something notable for national headlines they'd get a chuckle out of it because he was never taken seriously.

But then he became president and there are people who actually think he was sent by a higher power to saveAmerica. If anyone wondered about the mental health crisis we're facing, they shouldn't when there are people who believe their god sent Donald effing Trump to save them
don't disagree with what you posted. Just change Trump's name and insert Biden and you would be equally correct. They both have major issues!

don't disagree with what you posted. Just change Trump's name and insert Biden and you would be equally correct. They both have major issues!
The Democrats missed their opportunity with Biden in 2016. Putting him on the ticket in 2024 is just horrible. I don't have any personal disdain for the man but it's clear he shouldn't be the POTUS

The Democrats missed their opportunity with Biden in 2016. Putting him on the ticket in 2024 is just horrible. I don't have any personal disdain for the man but it's clear he shouldn't be the POTUS

I dont think you will find one left leaning person on this website who is excited about Biden being the nominee. He has shown cognitive decline over the last few years.

That said, trump has show cognitive decline as well, and is also a piece of sh*t who almost got away with overturning an election.

I dont think you will find one left leaning person on this website who is excited about Biden being the nominee. He has shown cognitive decline over the last few years.

That said, trump has show cognitive decline as well, and is also a piece of sh*t who almost got away with overturning an election.
yeah in an ideal world we would not have any candidates who are old and in cognitive decline. But in the reality we’re in, I much prefer a candidate who is old and in cognitive decline to a candidate who is also old and in cognitive decline who is also dead set on becoming an authoritarian dictator.

I'm with you. If those are the choices, they're the choices.

I just don't get the Trump appeal. Guy's a total egomaniac and wouldn't piss on anyone if they were on fire, even his own family. His entire adult life has been in the spotlight. He's shown everyone who he is -- repeatedly -- over the last 50 years.

Honestly, the best thing about the Biden presidency has been not thinking about the president every day the last four years. Why anyone wants another run with a carnie is crazy to me.

WTF? No one is talking about God sending Trump. I support him because he governs in the way that I support in the vast majority of circumstances. I see him as the best option available. This Trump God stuff that some are bringing up is just ridiculous. Sure there are a very small number on both sides that want to affix some religious significance to a candidate but its not even in the consideration for the vast majority. I want a POTUS thats working for American citizens and not himself or some foreign interests that bought him off. I want a great economy with an excellent standard of living. I want spending power. I want safe communities and I want a border thats protected and not wide @$$ open. The far and away best option to achieve what I want to happen is Trump and its that simple. Oh yes one more thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,there are a lot of us that feel this way.

• Haha
WTF? No one is talking about God sending Trump. I support him because he governs in the way that I support in the vast majority of circumstances. I see him as the best option available. This Trump God stuff that some are bringing up is just ridiculous. Sure there are a very small number on both sides that want to affix some religious significance to a candidate but its not even in the consideration for the vast majority. I want a POTUS thats working for American citizens and not himself or some foreign interests that bought him off. I want a great economy with an excellent standard of living. I want spending power. I want safe communities and I want a border thats protected and not wide @$$ open. The far and away best option to achieve what I want to happen is Trump and its that simple. Oh yes one more thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,there are a lot of us that feel this way.
Quit your f*cking crying, you little bitch.

Reactions: nytigerfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT