ADVERTISEMENT

"Thoughts and Prayers"

I played basketball with Jay Bias growing up. He was the little brother of Len Bias. We were around Len a number of times and he was someone I really looked up to. He was an incredible player. When he died because of his overdose, that was it for me. I never considered doing drugs of any kind ever. Rightly or wrongly (yes, I know wrongly) I lumped them all together and wouldn't ever consider trying anything. I didn't even want to be around it. So my knowledge beyond reading and some experience isn't too extensive. But I can say that the dumbest people I've ever met were people who smoked a lot of weed. I can also say I've never seen someone be violent because of pot. I've seen and had to deal with a lot of violent drunks.

I didn't take issue with rebutting the claims of @TigerGrowls. It was more the ridicule of him that he hasn't done it himself and that explains a lot, etc. That's just flat ignorant and stupid.

Understood and agreed. I have had many family members including both of my parents who have had issues with substance abuse. I have always been very cautious personally and haven't tried any recreational drugs outside of marijuana.

I have done a lot of research, and have been encouraged with it's use for anxiety and sleep. I feel that we are waaayyy over medicated as a society, and particularly with Anti-depressants. Marijuana/THC has far less side effects than anti-depressants.

I get frustrated with people like @TigerGrowls who continue to spit ignorance like it's fact with no personal experience. The reason Marijuana is considered a Gateway drug is due to fact that it's illegal and you only get it from illegal sources that are unsafe, and generally unsavory, and who are also selling other worse substances.

Understood and agreed. I have had many family members including both of my parents who have had issues with substance abuse. I have always been very cautious personally and haven't tried any recreational drugs outside of marijuana.

I have done a lot of research, and have been encouraged with it's use for anxiety and sleep. I feel that we are waaayyy over medicated as a society, and particularly with Anti-depressants. Marijuana/THC has far less side effects than anti-depressants.

I get frustrated with people like @TigerGrowls who continue to spit ignorance like it's fact with no personal experience. The reason Marijuana is considered a Gateway drug is due to fact that it's illegal and you only get it from illegal sources that are unsafe, and generally unsavory, and who are also selling other worse substances.

I would argue that alcohol abuse is the ultimate gateway drug. I do consider people who use pot frequently to be at higher risk of taking it further in terms of drug use. But I would also agree we are far too medicated and that's why I just don't do any of that stuff. I hardly ever drink. But I fortunate in that I am a generally happy person and usually pretty relaxed even though people here would say I'm a "pearl clutcher" which is silly but who gives a shit what people who don't know you think. :)

The timing and place of Beto's interruption may not have been the best, but to say that he offered no solutions is incorrect. I posted the clip below already, so I will post it again. Four solutions in 15 seconds. You just don't agree with his solutions. It's hilarious by the way that Lyin' Ted called Beto out for politicizing that press conference when he was there just to stand behind Greg Abbott and be on camera.

This whole thing is rinse and repeat. Dems will call for gun control. Republicans will scream that the Dems are trying to politicize a tragedy to shift the focus away from them. It is not surprising at all that this is your focus now.

In the end, the pubs will run back their master the NRA. Abbott was going to speak at an NRA fundraiser tonight to brag about how few gun restrictions his state has. He had to cancel attending in person but will deliver prerecorded remarks.

In the end, we all know what the republicans will do. NOTHING. And on to the next massacre. At least we are approaching summer, so we hopefully won't see more kids being gunned down until the fall.

So ****ing sad.

I know I may be an outlier here but I totally support what Beto did. These mass shootings happened in Texas in just the last five years:

Sutherland Springs - 26 people murdered in church, including an unborn child
El Paso - 23 people killed in a Walmart
Santa Fe - 10 people killed in high school

Who could imagine that after this carnage, a governor would pass 7 laws to make it EASIER to acquire and carry a gun? Is that responsible?

But because he's in a ruby red state he can pretty much always be sure that every group he speaks in front of is supportive or hand-picked. He never has to face the people most directly affected by his idiocy, hence Beto stood up to speak for all those he hopes to avoid. Maybe it was theatrical, maybe there could have been a better time, but he absolutely deserved it. #GoBeto

While I disagree with @TigerGrowls on most things, seeing who ridicules him for his choice about pot says a lot. Quite pathetic. Of the 10 dumbest people I've met in my life every one of them loved the weed. I've never seen any of them be aggressive but stupid...yeah all the time. And now I understand more why some of the people on this board post the way they do. :)
Would you say that Elon Musk is stupid? Or Carl Sagan? Or Bill Gates? Or Steve Jobs?

Reactions: nytigerfan
aa0e371fbc9e7f14321333977b2077aa192958cd-480x400.gif
Please respect my decision stoners. LOL!!

Oh yeah, so much for "good guys with guns"

I mean ... I understand ... sort of ... the caution in entering the building, but ... the WSJ article makes it sound like the shooter was pacing/meandering around the entrance of the school for 12 minutes ... rifle in hand ...

I understand the direction to order the "shooter" to put down his rifle.... but after the 3rd? 4th? 11th minute???? SHOOT HIM!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know what is worse .... well I know what is worse .... but .... those responding officers had the power ... they are granted the power, to stop it ...and they did nothing?

Won't stop some Republicans for proposing to arm teachers as a solution. Clowns gonna clown
Yes, let's arm teachers to direct the gunman away from law enforcement!
And secondly, we need to reduce the number of doors! Brilliant!

I mean ... I understand ... sort of ... the caution in entering the building, but ... the WSJ article makes it sound like the shooter was pacing/meandering around the entrance of the school for 12 minutes ... rifle in hand ...

I understand the direction to order the "shooter" to put down his rifle.... but after the 3rd? 4th? 11th minute???? SHOOT HIM!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know what is worse .... well I know what is worse .... but .... those responding officers had the power ... they are granted the power, to stop it ...and they did nothing?
Cops with guns won’t stop nearly 20 schoolchildren from being executed, but Joe Schmoe’s got to have his rifles and thousands of rounds of ammunition to prevent the tyranny of the US government and to hunt on the weekends.

Reactions: dpic73
Cops with guns won’t stop nearly 20 schoolchildren from being executed, but Joe Schmoe’s got to have his rifles and thousands of rounds of ammunition to prevent the tyranny of the US government and to hunt on the weekends.
imagine if the government actually wanted to kill you. They think 12 AR-15s is gonna stop that. It's hilarious.

I know I may be an outlier here but I totally support what Beto did. These mass shootings happened in Texas in just the last five years:

Sutherland Springs - 26 people murdered in church, including an unborn child
El Paso - 23 people killed in a Walmart
Santa Fe - 10 people killed in high school

Who could imagine that after this carnage, a governor would pass 7 laws to make it EASIER to acquire and carry a gun? Is that responsible?

But because he's in a ruby red state he can pretty much always be sure that every group he speaks in front of is supportive or hand-picked. He never has to face the people most directly affected by his idiocy, hence Beto stood up to speak for all those he hopes to avoid. Maybe it was theatrical, maybe there could have been a better time, but he absolutely deserved it. #GoBeto
This article is from cbs news this week. Some of the facts it has include the fact that over the last four years IL has the most deaths from mass shootings as a state and chicago as a city. Also, CA has very similar numbers to TX over that time period as well. Yet bc IL and CA are from dark blue states they can pretty much much always be sure that every group they speaks in front of are supportive or hand-picked. They never have to face the people most directly affected by their idiocy.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
Yes, let's arm teachers to direct the gunman away from law enforcement!
And secondly, we need to reduce the number of doors! Brilliant!

What happened to we have to at least try something? That's all I keep hearing from people proposing new gun laws that are going to make little to no difference in these incidents just so they can say they are trying to do something. I bet having one guarded entrance/exit at each school would do more than anything you are others have proposed. Do I think that would stop it? No, I would just shoot out a window and come in another way if I was determined to shoot up a school. However, any gun law you make would have the same impact, I would find a way around it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DW4_2016
What happened to we have to at least try something? That's all I keep hearing from people proposing new gun laws that are going to make little to no difference in these incidents just so they can say they are trying to do something. I bet having one guarded entrance/exit at each school would do more than anything you are others have proposed. Do I think that would stop it? No, I would just shoot out a window and come in another way if I was determined to shoot up a school. However, any gun law you make would have the same impact, I would find a way around it.
That you can’t eliminate a risk entirely doesn’t mean you shouldn’t move to mitigate it. It’s not a dichotomy.

so, in addition to being determined to shoot up a school you think more guns will reduce the number of gun deaths?

This article is from cbs news this week. Some of the facts it has include the fact that over the last four years IL has the most deaths from mass shootings as a state and chicago as a city. Also, CA has very similar numbers to TX over that time period as well. Yet bc IL and CA are from dark blue states they can pretty much much always be sure that every group they speaks in front of are supportive or hand-picked. They never have to face the people most directly affected by their idiocy.
No one in CA or IL is opposed to stricter gun laws so they have no shame facing the people "affected" by their policies.

No patience for your neuroses today, sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: CUT93
One door is great until there's a FIRE! :rolleyes:

Ted Cruz needs to be in a room with NO doors...and so do you...

Last edited:
That you can’t eliminate a risk entirely doesn’t mean you shouldn’t move to mitigate it. It’s not a dichotomy.
Is that not what I said? My post was pointing out the fact that he was being attacked after offering suggestions to mitigate the problem.

One door is great until there's a FIRE! :rolleyes:

Ted Cruz needs to be in a room with NO doors...and so do you...

That is not what he said. You're practicing purposeful stupidity to play politics with this. That is pathetic. When you have to lie all the time and misrepresent things all the time to try and make your points maybe you should figure out that you've gone wrong and need to re-examine things. But that would involve you pulling your head out of your ass and I'm not sure you can do that.

I like a good debate and I'm willing to be nice when we can discuss things rationally but I'm sick and tired of all the abject stupidity that goes on here and the complete and total intellectual disonesty because you want to make a partisan point. It is disgusting.

Is calling for a ****ing solution "playing politics"? Because this doesn't happen anywhere else.

Kids. In ****ing school. And nothing is going to change.
Take your kids out of public schools! There's a solution. Don't tell me you can't afford homeschooling or private. Everyone on this board makes at least 10x my income.

Take your kids out of public schools! There's a solution. Don't tell me you can't afford homeschooling or private. Everyone on this board makes at least 10x my income.
^distillation of republican thinking right here

save yourself, but do nothing for the greater good and other families that can't afford to homeschool or private school their children

Show me where I said that.
'I bet having one guarded entrance/exit at each school would do more than anything you are others have proposed.'

i assumed you meant guarded with guns. maybe you meant nunchaku?

^distillation of republican thinking right here

save yourself, but do nothing for the greater good and other families that can't afford to homeschool or private school their children
Your post is classic dem distillation. Shaming doesn't really work on me anymore. I know what my priorities are. I realize that your pretending you are helping other people because you virtue signal in your mind, online and at the polls will never change. Just like your boy Obama thought leadership was making a speech.
I'm not a republican. But, there's no honor in labeling on the left if it makes you feel better.

No one in CA or IL is opposed to stricter gun laws so they have no shame facing the people "affected" by their policies.

No patience for your neuroses today, sorry.
Their opposition, or lack of, to new gun laws is irrelevant. They control their state and are free to pass any constitutional gun laws they want to. The point is, even with though they are free to pass gun restrictions, the statistics prove exactly what I have been saying. More/different gun laws are not some magical thing that is going to make a big difference. IL leading the way in mass shootings and CA numbers basically mimicking TX in deaths/injuries is factual proof, not ideas or supposition about "what if" we pass this law. the laws there have been made/passed and implemented and the results are known. You are not interested in facts or results , however. Your only interest is bs political posturing with no ideas to make the situation appreciably better.
I am not faulting you, or anyone else for that matter, for not having a solution to the problem. Some problems have no good solution. Your fault lies in the hypocrisy and bs continually spewed to try and "own the pubs" and score political points.

That is not what he said. You're practicing purposeful stupidity to play politics with this. That is pathetic. When you have to lie all the time and misrepresent things all the time to try and make your points maybe you should figure out that you've gone wrong and need to re-examine things. But that would involve you pulling your head out of your ass and I'm not sure you can do that.

I like a good debate and I'm willing to be nice when we can discuss things rationally but I'm sick and tired of all the abject stupidity that goes on here and the complete and total intellectual disonesty because you want to make a partisan point. It is disgusting.
Did someone binge on bitch flakes this morning? Don't ever wonder why the name "pearl clutcher" fits you so well.

But you're lying!

He literally said he had a round table with the families from Santa Fe about having "one door that goes in and out of the school"

So take your self righteous @ss and shove it. Your pompous attitude and condescending comments have convinced me that you are smart and very important. Said no one ever.

Your post is classic dem distillation. Shaming doesn't really work on me anymore. I know what my priorities are. I realize that your pretending you are helping other people because you virtue signal in your mind, online and at the polls will never change. Just like your boy Obama thought leadership was making a speech.
I'm not a republican. But, there's no honor in labeling on the left if it makes you feel better.
not trying to shame - just pointing out how republicans operate (hint: it's selfishly.) i'm guessing you call yourself a "centrist" or an "independent" or perhaps a "libertarian"?

i voted for mccain and romney fyi, and the only time i've voted blue was in '16 and '20. i'll probably keep voting blue for the foreseeable future until a sane R runs for office, but until then i'm going to try and do my part to keep the trump cult out of office

'I bet having one guarded entrance/exit at each school would do more than anything you are others have proposed.'

i assumed you meant guarded with guns. maybe you meant nunchaku?
If you are talking about police, then the answer is yes. You simply can't be stupid enough to think that the fact police officers have guns, does not save lives. You do know that is how the shooter was eventually stopped, right? He was shot with gun.

I was not there and obviously we don't know everything that happened, but IF a lot of what is being reported is true, someone has some explaining to do.

Explaining to do is the least of it. There were 19 officers on scene who did nothing while children died. Bled out and died.

Can you imagine being a parent in this situation? Watching cops stand there and police YOU while you are hearing gunshots.

Whole police department deserves to be shut down. Whoever made that call should go to jail.

Explaining to do is the least of it. There were 19 officers on scene who did nothing while children died. Bled out and died.

Can you imagine being a parent in this situation? Watching cops stand there and police YOU while you are hearing gunshots.

Whole police department deserves to be shut down. Whoever made that call should go to jail.
Not sure which punishment fits, but if this is indeed the case… wow.

There’s no way to imagine being one of the parents.

Reactions: clemsontiger02
If you are talking about police, then the answer is yes. You simply can't be stupid enough to think that the fact police officers have guns, does not save lives. You do know that is how the shooter was eventually stopped, right? He was shot with gun.
so then you have no idea there were cops outside the school handcuffing the parents?

It doesnt happen often .... but you and I are in full agreement .....

If it were me ... Id either be completely paralyzed with grief OR .... in a complete blood boiling rage

I am so tired of seeing you yokels using Chicago to make your erroneous arguments. Chicago ranks 28th in the nation in murder rate. 60% of the guns in Chicago come from neighboring Indiana, which has extremely weak gun laws.

8 of the top 10 cities with the highest murder rates are in republican led states with weak gun laws.

In terms of states with the most gun violence. 9 of the top 10 worst states for gun violence are red, 9 of the top 10 best are blue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT