ADVERTISEMENT

"Thoughts and Prayers"

I am a sad story? What about you? You and your ilk have such small penises that you need one or more ARs in the house to help you regain your manhood.

Remington was successfully sued by families of the sandy hook massacre (the one some of you ****tards refer to as a “false flag”) for $70MM. This was despite the bill that W signed making it impossible to sue gunmakers when mass shootings happen. They won a settlement because of remington’s ads. They were geared towards small dick losers and claiming they could “get their manhoods back” and “make their enemies bow down” by buying an AR. ****ing sick.
You really are Mr. Trump-Light, and you don’t even realize it.

What strikes me as odd about the left is you want to police all aspects of lives from online communication, to our ESG contributions, to how we spend our money but you don't want to actually fund the real policing. Why is that?

Also, Jan 6th??? Yikes bro.....those poor kids haven't even been buried yet and you're on here being all Beto and O'bama on us.

You can't have Lori Lightfoot calling for people to take up arms on social media over a Roe vs Wade ruling while simultaneously suggesting we abolish the 2nd amendment. You can see the irony here right?

They weren't outgunned, stop listening to CNN......the police officers were armed with the same weapons which you can see if you just watch the videos from outside the school. They had a tactically inferior position in that they had to come in through a fatal funnel, ie....a single point of entry which means the assailant can focus his firing sector on one single area and not to mention while potentially shooting from behind a makeshift barricade or reinforced position. It basically means the first, potentially even the second officer coming through the door is likely going to die when they breach the entry point with a pretty overwhelming degree of certainty. They simply can't breach the door and move into a room clearing position fast enough without the risk of having to shoot anything that moves or with an incredible volume of fire which is risky, albeit probably necessary in this scenario which hindsight will certainly afford them. Also, I've seen lots of mentions in the news about the metal door not being easy to breach which at least means they work, that is when they are closed which this one wasn't.

What you can all take away on this memorial day weekend is that combat has a unique way of defining a persons courage and bravery real darn quick. The reality is that definition doesn't happen until the shooting starts regardless of training, so something for you keyboard warriors to keep in mind before you start throwing around coward comments. I think if you let all of the facts come out, you'll find that the person in charge wasn't capable of providing clear and concise direction or decision making to those on the ground and that is likely due to lack of training and inexperience which is almost instantly proven by how quickly the special operator trained border patrol unit was able to quickly end the tragedy. This reinforces what Scotch said in that the average officer needs more training, not less.

The reality, much like airports after 9/11 .......schools are considered "soft" targets, with many not even having what I'd deem as bare minimum security posture without ever even considering an active shooter scenario. Perhaps instead of the teachers unions focusing on the overwhelming amount of money they donate to the DNC every single election year, they should spend more time working with local authorities to harden their schools?
Facts matter Jake

"House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday that the idea of defunding the police, a frequently used slogan during the 2020 elections, is not the direction that the Democratic Party is headed."

“Make no mistake, community safety is our responsibility,” Pelosi said on ABC’s “This Week.” “I quote one of my colleagues from New York, Ritchie Torres, a brand new member of Congress way on the left, saying that ‘defund the police’ is dead. That causes a concern with a few in our caucus. But public safety is our responsibility.”

"McCraw also said this was believed because there was a barrage of rounds fired — hundreds — over four minutes. Then, the bullets were sporadic and at the door of the classroom, leading officers to believe there may not have been anyone alive inside the classrooms – which were joined together by a Jack-and-Jill restroom. Because of this, it was decided to wait for law enforcement to receive appropriate equipment and backup as officers believed they were outgunned. The officers also decided to wait to retrieve the janitor’s keys to open the classrooms, as it was locked, he added."

Reactions: nytigerfan
Always entertaining to see you and your buds get your jimmies rustled. Y’all are so predictable. I seriously doubt anyone that owns an AR was concerned about manhood garbage at the time of purchase. More than likely it was for protection, hunting, or target shooting. Btw, I don’t own an AR but plan to buy one. If God forbid, someone breaks into your home, you will be wishing you had a gun.
You better buy it before they require a mental health evaluation, you badass...

Last edited:
Yep, good to see Donald Trump and I can at least agree that the murder of innocent children is reprehensible. He should get bonus points for pointing that out to us all! How would we ever survive without Donald Trump's opinions on morality.

They aren't being killed to push a political narrative. They are being killed because nutcases continue to have unfettered access to guns and ammunition. Let's all take a moment of silence for the brave children who laid down their lives so a bunch of grown men can play toy soldier on the weekends and pump their chests out about stopping tyranny.
When I was in high school, there were probably 50-100 student cars/trucks in the parking lot with guns in them(legally). This was in a small more rural town at a school with ~ 500 students. Why were there not exponentially more school shootings then if your assumption that the availability of guns is the driving factor in these deaths?

Its so weird to me when people say keep politics out of it etc. This is a political issue. This is an issue where lawmakers should be involved and should be coming up with reform in an attempt to reduce these types of mass shootings. And a lot of the politicians who say it isn’t a political issue have made guns a political/policy issue for decades. Whether its taking money from the NRA or working to pass laws like the permitless carry law passed in Texas, guns and gun violence have been and will continue to be a political issue. They said don’t make sandy hook into a political issue too and here we are years later still dealing with the same problem.

But you know, hey, at least all these kids who got shot weren’t being taught that racism exists, right? At least they weren’t being taught that gay people exist, right? Maybe lets put some effort into issues that actually matter.
Nice thoughts.

FYI, laws do not affect behavior.
Culture does.

Laws reflect behavior.

Reactions: PawsFan_
When I was in high school, there were probably 50-100 student cars/trucks in the parking lot with guns in them(legally). This was in a small more rural town at a school with ~ 500 students. Why were there not exponentially more school shootings then if your assumption that the availability of guns is the driving factor in these deaths?

I think you meant campaign contributions. Let's compare that to the bribes/campaign contributions labor unions give to dems. Also see insurance companies, banks, soros, etc. Is that supposed to be some big revelation that pubs take campaign contributions. I also think you will find dems accepting contributions from the nra as well.

Same in my home town.

I am a sad story? What about you? You and your ilk have such small penises that you need one or more ARs in the house to help you regain your manhood.

Remington was successfully sued by families of the sandy hook massacre (the one some of you ****tards refer to as a “false flag”) for $70MM. This was despite the bill that W signed making it impossible to sue gunmakers when mass shootings happen. They won a settlement because of remington’s ads. They were geared towards small dick losers and claiming they could “get their manhoods back” and “make their enemies bow down” by buying an AR. ****ing sick.
Quit getting triggered so easy! Pardon the pun.

Reactions: AugTig
Facts matter Jake

"House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday that the idea of defunding the police, a frequently used slogan during the 2020 elections, is not the direction that the Democratic Party is headed."

“Make no mistake, community safety is our responsibility,” Pelosi said on ABC’s “This Week.” “I quote one of my colleagues from New York, Ritchie Torres, a brand new member of Congress way on the left, saying that ‘defund the police’ is dead. That causes a concern with a few in our caucus. But public safety is our responsibility.”

"McCraw also said this was believed because there was a barrage of rounds fired — hundreds — over four minutes. Then, the bullets were sporadic and at the door of the classroom, leading officers to believe there may not have been anyone alive inside the classrooms – which were joined together by a Jack-and-Jill restroom. Because of this, it was decided to wait for law enforcement to receive appropriate equipment and backup as officers believed they were outgunned. The officers also decided to wait to retrieve the janitor’s keys to open the classrooms, as it was locked, he added."

The left has been suggesting this for 2 years and they did in fact cut funding in NYC already. Look no further than this NY Times article. Also, you have sitting members of the house/congress etc that have called for it, ie Cori Bush. You know, the same lady that also has private security which I'm assuming is tax payer funded.

Again, they weren't outgunned......they were waiting for tactical gear (body shields, kevlar helmets, flash bangs, etc). They had the same weapons as the shooter.

The left has been suggesting this for 2 years and they did in fact cut funding in NYC already. Look no further than this NY Times article. Also, you have sitting members of the house/congress etc that have called for it, ie Cori Bush. You know, the same lady that also has private security which I'm assuming is tax payer funded.

Again, they weren't outgunned......they were waiting for tactical gear (body shields, kevlar helmets, flash bangs, etc). They had the same weapons as the shooter.
It wasn't CNN that made the "outgunned" claim - they may have accurately repeated what state officials said though. The article I posted was from a Texas newspaper quoting the Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety. Your media is the one lying to you as usual, not ours. NY was right - again.

As far as defunding the police. it's not the left Jake - a few flakes on the FAR left stupidly advocated for it in the heat of the moment. But you know that is not an official position of the Democratic party and Joe Biden has repeatedly stated he is not in favor of it - he made that clear in his State of the Union address.

"President Joe Biden's call against defunding the police received a bipartisan standing ovation from the congressional audience during his first State of the Union address on Tuesday night.

"We should all agree: The answer is not to defund the police," Biden said. "The answer is to fund the police with the resources and training they need to protect our communities.' "

Here, Mad Marge makes it clear what we really want to do - we want to know when you're eating a cheeseburger so we can zap you and make you eat fake meat made in a "peach tree dish." Duh

Happy Memorial Day Jake. Thank you for your service.

Always entertaining to see you and your buds get your jimmies rustled. Y’all are so predictable. I seriously doubt anyone that owns an AR was concerned about manhood garbage at the time of purchase. More than likely it was for protection, hunting, or target shooting. Btw, I don’t own an AR but plan to buy one. If God forbid, someone breaks into your home, you will be wishing you had a gun.

I have multiple guns, a handgun, a shotgun and a rifle. I don’t need an AR. You don’t need an AR. If you try to defend your home with an AR you will end up taking out many of your neighbors.

I have multiple guns, a handgun, a shotgun and a rifle. I don’t need an AR. You don’t need an AR. If you try to defend your home with an AR you will end up taking out many of your neighbors.
Happy Memorial Day everyone! Lets remember our service men and women today!

Related to guns and my perceived need for the 2nd amendment and a well armed citizenry in context of your statements over time, of course the US citizens could not fight the US military or a foreign military toe to toe. Look at Afghanistan or other countries. Its not about dominating but rather about occupying. Look at what the 18 year old kid at the school did by himself. Do you expect a minimally trained policeman making 60K with kids at home to run head long into a protected point with semi automated firing capacity? The answer is no. The US citizenry is the largest reserve military in the world. You can bomb us and make us miserable but try to come door to door and take our land on a mass basis and any army is looking at big trouble. A well armed citizenry is required as a guard against evil. The first thing they did in Ukraine was start passing out guns and other weapons to all citizens.

The evil tyrants that want to destroy our freedom and constitution know it will be easier if we are armed with lesser capacity weapons. Its that simple. When Kamalatoe mentions weapons of war its laughable. Any weapon will only be used to kill and/or maim. Any gun can kill.

Last edited:
Happy Memorial Day everyone! Lets remember our service men and women today!

Related to guns and my perceived need for the 2nd amendment and a well armed citizenry in context of your statements over time, of course the US citizens could not fight the US military or a foreign military toe to toe. Look at Afghanistan or other countries. Its not about dominating but rather about occupying. Look at what the 18 year old kid at the school did by himself. Do you expect a minimally trained policeman making 60K with kids at home to run head long into a protected point with semi automated firing capacity? The answer is no. The US citizenry is the largest reserve military in the world. You can bomb us and make us miserable but try to come door to door and take our land on a mass basis and any army is looking at big trouble. A well armed citizenry is required as a guard against evil. The first thing they did in Ukraine was start passing out guns and other weapons to all citizens.

The evil tyrants that want to destroy our freedom and constitution know it will be easier if we are armed with lesser capacity weapons. Its that simple. When Kamalatoe mentions weapons of war its laughable. Any weapon will only be used to kill and/or maim. Any gun can kill.

like you said, “I’m Ukraine they handed out guns to the citizens.” I am all for that. If we get invaded hand out ARs to everyone.
Until that time, I don’t need an AR. You don’t need an AR. I wouldn’t be surprised if the number two reason people buy an AR is to “own the libs”. Of course, the number one reason as already stated is having a micro penis.

like you said, “I’m Ukraine they handed out guns to the citizens.” I am all for that. If we get invaded hand out ARs to everyone.
Until that time, I don’t need an AR. You don’t need an AR. I wouldn’t be surprised if the number two reason people buy an AR is to “own the libs”. Of course, the number one reason as already stated is having a micro penis.

I keep laughing at your penis posts. Lol

It need not be the sole driving factor. If we lived in an ideal world where everyone who had a gun was a responsible gun owner, it wouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately that isn’t the case.

If your claim is that easy access to guns has no correlation to deaths by gun, shootings, suicides, and accidents, I’m skeptical to say the least. I think the statistics bear that out.

We lose tens of thousands of people each year to guns. If we can reduce that number within the bounds of what the courts will allow under the 2nd Amendment, I tend to think we should pursue it. I’m not interested in propping up gun culture above human life

Reactions: dpic73
They need to bust his A$$ for whatever they can to send a message. Good for Florida to follow up on stuff like this.

handguns are responsible for over 10,000 + deaths a year........AR's about 400. Maybe we are targeting the wrong weapons to ban?

handguns are responsible for over 10,000 + deaths a year........AR's about 400. Maybe we are targeting the wrong weapons to ban?

you sold me. Let's ban them all.

The reason I say ban ARs is because that is the preferred gun of some loser who wants to kill as many people as possible. If that ****tard in Uvalde only had a handgun, a lot less kids would be dead, and I imagine law enforcement would have been much quicker to enter the building (and more likely to not let him enter the building in the first place).

That is what other countries have done to successfully solve this problem that we seem unable to solve. No ARs. Limit caliber. Limit rounds of ammunition. Limits handguns. We have a successful blueprint to follow, we just refuse to follow it.

If your uncle works on a farm and needs an AR to shoot coyotes, great. He can go through a special process to show how much he needs it.

If you could go back in time and show the guys writing the 2nd amendment an AR (compared to their muskets) I have a feeling they would write some different language in the amendment.

Reactions: PAWrocka and dpic73
The breakdown of the nuclear family, the erosion of traditional family values, the drugs, and even social media are contributing to this problem. Gun control is absolutely not the answer. We do need to start defending these schools with armed deputies at all times. We need to start identifying the people with mental issues quicker and more efficiently. Most of these shooters have advertised what they were going to do beforehand.

They send billions overseas but will not staff our schools with deputies?
The war on drugs broke up the nuclear family

Reactions: iceheart08
Because your awful generation had kids and did a bad job.

200w.gif

a lot of truth in that post ...

edit: BUT ... I also think that wages not keeping up with the rate of inflation didnt help the American Family. The Boomers and GenX (me) grew up in a house where Father worked (and was present) and Mom could afford to stay home. That wasnt a option for A LOT of GenX and beyond parents.

Last edited:
you sold me. Let's ban them all.

The reason I say ban ARs is because that is the preferred gun of some loser who wants to kill as many people as possible. If that ****tard in Uvalde only had a handgun, a lot less kids would be dead, and I imagine law enforcement would have been much quicker to enter the building (and more likely to not let him enter the building in the first place).

That is what other countries have done to successfully solve this problem that we seem unable to solve. No ARs. Limit caliber. Limit rounds of ammunition. Limits handguns. We have a successful blueprint to follow, we just refuse to follow it.

If your uncle works on a farm and needs an AR to shoot coyotes, great. He can go through a special process to show how much he needs it.

If you could go back in time and show the guys writing the 2nd amendment an AR (compared to their muskets) I have a feeling they would write some different language in the amendment.
hey!!!! you used my example haha ;)

It is the only practical use I have heard for the AR15. My own personal reasoning for owning my ARs are ....admittedly ....weak and alarmist at best.

Reactions: iceheart08
I think there is some truth in that. The lack of traditional family units has had a devastating impact on society as a whole. In particular, the high divorce rate combined with the fact that most kids end up without a father to give guidance/direction/discipline on a daily basis has left many kids, particularly boys, without respect for boundaries of behavior. Combine this with movies/rap/video games glorifying gun violence, and it has had a substantial negative impact. Additionally, the penalties for gun crimes/illegal gun possession have become much less severe an much less of a deterrent. Combined, these contribution form my generation have no doubt increased gun violence.

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
They need to bust his A$$ for whatever they can to send a message. Good for Florida to follow up on stuff like this.

Last i heard i think he's facing up to 10 years for this. Also there was a ten year old that sent a picture of AR's adn said 'get ready' and sent it do his schoolmates... i mean 10 years old!!

• Wow
Reactions: TigerGrowls
Because the government propaganda worked on you. What a shocker
Facts matter.

Last edited:
Bumping thread for yet another mass shooting today - this one at a hospital in Tulsa. 4 dead plus the shooter.

Per NPR this is the 233rd mass shooting of the year in the US. Mass shooting defined as having 4 or more victims. 233. Let that sink in.

• Sad
Bumping thread for yet another mass shooting today - this one at a hospital in Tulsa. 4 dead plus the shooter.

Per NPR this is the 233rd mass shooting of the year in the US. Mass shooting defined as having 4 or more victims. 233. Let that sink in.
And 20 in the last 8 days since Uvalde. Tragic

Reactions: dbjork6317
And 20 in the last 8 days since Uvalde. Tragic
And no one really even seems to care anymore. The Buffalo shooting was in the news cycle for a shorter period of time than will smith slapping Chris rock was. Seems like only elementary school shootings get coverage for more than a day or two anymore.

And another major school shooting is imminent. It will happen again.

Reactions: firegiver
And no one really even seems to care anymore. The Buffalo shooting was in the news cycle for a shorter period of time than will smith slapping Chris rock was. Seems like only elementary school shootings get coverage for more than a day or two anymore.

And another major school shooting is imminent. It will happen again.
And don't be surprised if the next one is much worse. Did you see the story about the 16 yr old in Berkeley CA who was recruiting people for a mass shooting there? These massacres just seem to beget more massacres. It's insane.

And don't be surprised if the next one is much worse. Did you see the story about the 16 yr old in Berkeley CA who was recruiting people for a mass shooting there? These massacres just seem to beget more massacres. It's insane.
A boring distopia

while they were burying the dead from Uvalde:

• Angry
I don't want to hear from the Left about any sort of gun laws until they talk openly about Chicago, every Monday, in a National presser. It happens every weekend, where the gun laws are the toughest in the the country.

Our 2nd Amendment, is already infringed upon. We have to pay taxes for guns and ammo, and have back ground checks. I say give everyone a gun, and tell them, "play stupid games, win stuipd prizes".

Same for set belts, helmets, being fat and lazy...

More laws will never work for stupid people, and criminals...

Chicago Sun Times Logo

51 people shot over Memorial Day weekend in Chicago, the most violent in five years​

About half of those shot were on the West Side, most of them in a single police district where there were two mass shootings. At least 23 people were shot on the South Side and four downtown.​

By Sun-Times Wire

Updated May 31, 2022, 11:04am EDT

Family members watch as Chicago police investigate in the 5700 block of South Carpenter Street, where a man was shot to death early Sunday during a party on the Englewood neighborhood block on the South Side.

Family members watch as Chicago police investigate in the 5700 block of South Carpenter Street, where a man was shot to death early Sunday during a party on the Englewood neighborhood block on the South Side.
Ashlee Rezin/Sun-Times

Chicago experienced its most violent Memorial Day weekend in five years — 9 killed, 42 wounded — despite stepped up police patrols and a focus on neighborhood programs that city officials hoped would provide peaceful alternatives.

About half of those shot were on the West Side, most of them in a single police district, the 11th, where there were two mass shootings on Sunday. On the South Side, at least 23 people were shot. And downtown, where there has been a spike in shootings all year, four people were hit by gunfire.
The weekend was the most violent since 2017, when seven people were killed and 45 people were wounded, according to Chicago police data. The year before, 69 people had been shot over the long holiday weekend.

This past weekend’s toll is sharply higher than last year, when three people were killed and 34 others were wounded.

Police work the scene where five people were shot near an elementary school May 29, 2022 on the West Side.
Ashlee Rezin/Sun-Times
The Chicago Police Department had canceled days off over the weekend, but Police Superintendent David Brown was vague last Friday about the numbers of additional police officers assigned to work.

He would only say the safety plan included foot, bike and roving patrols; traffic safety, DUI saturation and carjacking task force missions; and gang and gun and organized retail theft investigations.
At the same news conference, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said weekend programs in 15 high-crime neighborhoods — including music-and-game-filled “kickbacks” with DJs — would be held later into the night to fill gaps pinpointed in conversations with young people in those neighborhoods.
On Saturday, faith leaders led a march for peace down Michigan Avenue. “There will be no silence till we end the violence,” a group of about 50 people chanted as they marched down the Mag Mile to Millennium Park.

A woman watches as Chicago police investigate in the 5700 block of South Carpenter Street, where a man was shot to death during a party.
Ashlee Rezin/Sun-Times
Many of the weekend shootings occurred in neighborhoods long troubled by gun violence.

• In Lawndale, five people were wounded after gunmen opened fire on a crowd marking the anniversary of another teen’s killing. A 16-year-old girl was among the wounded in the shooting early Sunday morning in the 800 block of South Karlov Avenue. Shell casings and at least 97 evidence markers could be seen in the street outside Daniel Webster Elementary School.
  • Later Sunday, a man was killed and four others wounded, including a gunman, during a domestic incident in Humboldt Park. The shooting led to a standoff with a police SWAT team. A gunman, 23, was arrested over an hour later and treated for a gunshot wound, police said.
Other fatal shootings from the weekend between 5 p.m. Friday and 5 a.m. Tuesday:
  • Three men were wounded, one fatally, in a shooting Monday in Burnside on the South Side. They were near a sidewalk about 7:45 p.m. in the 1300 block of East 93rd Street when someone opened fire, police said. One man, 25, was shot in the chest and died at Trinity Hospital. Another man, 26, was also shot in the chest and taken to the same hospital in critical condition. The third man, 27, was shot in his body and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center. His condition was not released.

Chicago police and SWAT officers investigate in the 4400 block of West Walton Street where an alleged gunman barricaded himself in a building after one man was killed and three other people were wounded in a shooting Sunday night in West Humboldt Park on the West Side.
Ashlee Rezin/Sun-Times

• A man was fatally shot Monday in Gresham on the South Side. About 5 p.m., the 26-year-old was in the 8600 block of South Aberdeen Street when he was shot multiple times, police said. He was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn and pronounced dead.
  • Also Monday, a man was killed in a shooting in Englewood on the South Side. He was inside a residence about 2:50 p.m. in the 6900 block of South Green Street when someone opened fire, striking him in the face and abdomen, police said. The 31-year-old died at the scene.
  • Jeremy Benson, 33, was shot and killed Sunday morning while driving in the West Garfield Park neighborhood, authorities said. He was shot while driving in the 4400 block of West Madison Street and crashed into a median, police said. He died at Mount Sinai Hospital.
  • A man was killed early Sunday in Englewood when gunfire erupted during a birthday party. The shooting sent hundreds of people running in the 5700 block of South Carpenter Street. A 24-year-old was shot and pronounced dead at the scene. Police placed a white cloth over the man, who was lying on a sidewalk near evidence markers. “They won’t even let me see his body,” the man’s mother said. “They could at least let me hold his hand.”

Chicago police investigate in the 5700 block of South Carpenter Street, where a man was shot to death early Sunday during a party on the Englewood neighborhood block on the South Side.
Ashlee Rezin/Sun-Times

• Hours earlier, two men killed each other during a shootout in Englewood, police said. The shootout happened at 5 p.m. Saturday in the 5500 block of South Bishop Street, police said. Both men were pronounced dead at the University of Chicago Medical Center. One of the men was identified as Derrick Washington, 29. The other man was 38.
  • Saturday afternoon, a man was killed in Chicago Lawn on the Southwest Side. He was shot in his head around 1:30 p.m. in the 2400 block of West 63rd Street, police said. He died at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. Police released no other details.
At least 32 people were shot last weekend in Chicago.

Skip to contents
Block Club ChicagoBlock Club Chicago
Become a member
Learn more

1. Neighborhoods
  2. Latest Stories
  3. COVID-19
  4. Send News Tips
  5. Newsletter
  6. Shop
  7. Subscribe
  8. Donate

Citywide

Chicago Had 971 Shootings In First 5 Months Of The Year. Violence Is Trending Down From Pandemic Peak, But ‘Is Still Way Too High,’ Expert Says​

There were fewer shootings last month compared to previous Mays, but "if we continue to tolerate the level of gun violence that we tolerate, we are going to continue to see residents leave the city," a violence expert said.

Mack Liederman

8:54 AM CDT on Jun 2, 2022
122121-4600-N-Central-Park-Shooting-Albany-Park-Colin-Boyle-2426.jpg

Rifle casings from a shooting.Colin Boyle/Block Club Chicago
  • Credibility:

CHICAGO — Reported shootings and murders were down in Chicago for a third straight month in May, according to police data, but violence has failed to fall back to pre-pandemic numbers.
There were 254 reported shootings in May this year, compared to 321 shootings in 2021 and 338 shootings in 2020, according to police data. In 2019, before the pandemic started, there were 198 shootings during the same time period.
In the first five months of the year, there were 971 shootings, compared to 1,151 for the same time period in 2021 and 961 in 2020, according to police numbers. In 2019, there were 736 shootings in that same period.
There have been 239 murders to date this year, compared with 259 during the same time frame in 2021 and 242 in 2020. In 2019, there were 197 murders in that same period.
Despite the recent downward trend, the city is coming off one of its most violent Memorial Day weekends in several years, and it’s still too soon to know what the summer will hold for Chicago.
“The real test is as the weather gets warmer consistently, whether we’re able to see a continued downward trend,” said violence expert Roseanna Ander, executive director of the University of Chicago Crime Lab.
Ander said Chicago’s shootings are “still way too high by any rational standard.”
“If we continue to tolerate the level of gun violence that we tolerate, we are going to continue to see residents leave the city,” she said.
While the month-to-month decline in shootings is not a definitive statistic, it still could be a “hopeful” sign that greater public and private investments in community prevention and violence intervention programs are working, Ander said.
RELATED: West Side Neighborhood Sees 58% Drop In Shootings Thanks To Violence Prevention Programs, Outreach Workers Say
There have been broad increases in state, federal and local funding for community-driven anti-violence strategies, including Gov. JB Pritzker’s $50 million commitment this year to support violence intervention. Shootings overall and on the West Side in particular have decreased because of outreach connecting at-risk people to resources that address root causes of violence, behavioral health services, and conflict-resolution throughout neighborhoods, organizers said.
Community groups are building relationships with neighbors most likely to commit or be victims of violence, “to stop the cycle of violence that creates retaliatory responses,” Ander said. More robust data collection is helping street outreach workers and police position themselves in areas with the most pervasive violence, Ander said.
But “we can’t lose sight of how far we still need to go,” Ander said.
“The last two years have been extraordinarily high when it comes to the rates of gun violence in our city,” Ander said. “There’s a wider safety gap than there’s ever been in our city, between the most safe neighborhoods and the least safe.”
Ander said the pandemic and civil unrest exacerbated gun violence in neighborhoods that were already faced with a lack of resources. Shutting down schools, social and mental health programs, and a “crisis in the legitimacy of government and policing” all converged to “pull out people’s safety net,” leading to lingering higher rates of violence, Ander said.
“Gun violence has a large reverberating effect,” Ander said. “It really needs to be a first order priority.”
Subscribe to Block Club Chicago, an independent, 501(c)(3), journalist-run newsroom. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT