ADVERTISEMENT

20 Million Vials 2 Million People Vaccinated

My wife is an OR nurse and according to her it’s probably 50/50 amongst the surgeons she works with who are taking it. She took hers yesterday. No side affects so far

talk to a nurse who said her sons friends who I think are in national guard who took it had some side effects but the worse was they were in a haze...sleeping 20 hours out of a 24 hours of the day and several had to miss a few days of work because they were so worn down.

That’s only side effects I’ve heard of to date

I'd say 90% of people I know say they are not gonna take it

My wife is an OR nurse and according to her it’s probably 50/50 amongst the surgeons she works with who are taking it. She took hers yesterday. No side affects so far

Interesting. I do anesthesia in the upstate and I know of only 2 surgeons who won't take it. One because he is convinced he had it already...I took it with no problems. I have not heard of anyone in the hospital system having any problems...in a few months I'm pretty sure there are gonna be two groups of people...people who got vacinated or those who got COVID...

Last edited:
Talk about incompetence

Warp Speed got us here

Slow Distribution sucks

The entire US stock of vaccines should have been depleted in days

The military and every medical service should have been vaccinating people

Shame on the people who are all talk and slow action

not speaking for everyone but there are several people in the frontline healthcare profession that this has been earmarked for who are waiting to be sure their colleagues all don’t get super sick from the vaccine before they engage.

some of this may be that some people are resistant to getting the vaccine immediately.

we’ve had several people test positive shortly after getting the vaccine. (Not sure what to make of the result) but they are now quarantined for the next few weeks.

the other part to remember is you have to save at least 50% of all vaccines administered because there is a second booster that must be given 21 days from the first. And you’ve got to make sure you have stocks available to complete the inoculation.

Not really true. We have known for months how it would be distributed in hospitals to employees and in LTCF. It is logistically very tough and the federal government has no role down in those weeds.
Once it is available on demand folks will be complaining that it is being given too rapidly and they can’t find it.
When hundreds of millions of shots need to be distributed it cant be left to our struggling healthcare infrastructure to distribute them. This required a national strategy, national funding, and national coordination using federal resources, including mobilizing the military if needed. This is an enormous undertaking. Hell, we dont even know who and when people are eligible to get the vaccine because every state is implementing their own hierarchy and most dont even know what that is yet.

The political swamp is massive. Soon to be even bigger, with swamp creatures lying in the mud sunning. Trump was WAY over his head when he thought that he could drain that place!!! Back to they way it was before, even worse.

They are sending vaccines abroad. Taking care of others first. Heck, here in the US they want to give vaccines to drug addicts and prisoners (criminals) first before the elderly! America first is over.

When hundreds of millions of shots need to be distributed it cant be left to our struggling healthcare infrastructure to distribute them. This required a national strategy, national funding, and national coordination using federal resources, including mobilizing the military if needed. This is an enormous undertaking. Hell, we dont even know who and when people are eligible to get the vaccine because every state is implementing their own hierarchy and most dont even know what that is yet.

The problem is you think all this is a federal responsibility when it's not. And that isn't because it shouldn't be, it's because it can't be. Not even our massive government can handle the kind of things that you're talking about. And in case you were missing it, states have dealt with massive levels of infections at different times at different rates. A one size fits all solution to that problem isn't going to help. It has to be at the state level supported by the federal government with resources and manpower provided where needed and that's exactly what's happened. But I know that's difficult for all the central planners out there if you think everything just needs to come from the hive mind. Then never works in reality.

Last edited:
Honestly, it is because there has been ZERO national strategy at the federal/executive level to coordinate a response and fight this virus. Everything from the beginning has been pushed to the states who do not have the infrastructure and resources to handle what has become a disjointed pandemic response. All just to be able to alloe the President to abdicate responsibility and point the finger at the governors if things went bad.

The pitiful testing strategy was first. It still stinks. The lack of PPE is another. It was left to the states and governors to bid against each other and drive up prices. The lack of national strategy to educate and coordinate a public response with masks, etc. and outfit businesses. The horrible PPP part of the CARES Act and fleecing of American taxpayers with a program where 90% of funding went to less than 10% of businesses. Businesses not even impacted being given millions while others fail and cant get funding. Failure to fund and prepare our schools for reopening and leaving it to the states and local school boards to do whatever they can however they want. Now you have the non existant vaccination efforts and preparedness to get the vaccine to people. Everything being done is falling to underfunded and unprepared local groups.

Warp speed is a joke. The effort and technology to develop these vaccines in record time has been in the works for over a dozen years. It has been a private sector effort. Sure, the President agreed to purchase vaccines in advance and in some cases give a grant for testing. But the technology was a private sector effort. Signing a check from the taxpayer is something anyone in America could have done.

Where has the leadership been in managing this pandemic response? The task force was disbanded because the president didnt want to talk about the virus anymore and he embarrassed himself talking about injecting bleach. He has been preaching that the virus was all going away after the election and it was all just a media hoax. Now we are almost 2 months after the election and 4,000 people a day are dying. Meanwhile he says and does nothing. He spends all of his time playing golf or propogating an election fraud hoax to sooth his ego.

We have 10s of millions of doses that can rescue our people, our hospitals, and our local economies sitting in freezers because there was no dedicated federally coordinated effort to distribute these privately developed vaccines. It is an abomination.

First of all there was no way to predict the volume of PPE that would be needed and very little of it comes from the US...the price wasn’t driven up because of anything this President did or any prior to it. It’s the simple supply and demand model. A lot of the people who raped people on pricing are now sitting on over priced inventory and calling me and anyone else they know crying to help them get rid of it even if it’s at a loss so they are getting paid back for price gouging. The government could have done nothing differently to make the PPE situation different or better. It would have been a shit show regardless of the President. The one thing we learned was Trump has been right for years and before he ever ran for President when he stated we were too reliant on China. China gave us this virus, China controlled the PPE, China was sending PPE that was not what the FDA certification said it was which put pressure on the ports to make sure product was what they claimed, and the plants that were not suspended by the FDA to ship into US had to take on more. Then plants that weren’t making PPE shut down portions of their plant that weren’t under contract to produce something specific and set up FDA certified PPE manufacturing. Then Malaysia and Thailand got in the game. Then China stopped letting PPE that were tagged for medical use leave the country so the government organizations had to start allowing things “not for medical use” but met the FDA certifications to be utilized. There is so much shit that went on that the average American has no clue unless they dealt with it daily. I know more about the specifications of mask, gowns, gloves, etc than I ever wanted or cared to know. Long story short...we got fvcked hard by China and will continue to get fvcked by them. The glove situation is going to be a shit show until minimum July but probably longer. Plants are at capacity and it isn’t getting better. And they have ridiculous order minimums so finding gloves in the states for a “fair” deal at smaller quantities is almost impossible. Again...who will get hurt by this? Small business who need gloves but can’t afford to buy 20 containers at a time. And then when you buy them at that quantity you cross your fingers and hope they show up because there is no guarantee

As far as the vaccine...the biggest issue is logistically getting it where it needs to go. FedEx, UPS, other carriers were already at max capacity because of Christmas, more online shopping due to Covid etc. 1 day ship points are 2-3 now and drivers and workers for those companies have been working serious overtime so unless you shut down the entire country to utilize all carrier services for the vaccine for a week it’s not really possible to magically get the vaccines out as rapid as people expect

Reactions: ClemsonMullet
I’ve had COVID and I’m still getting vaccinated. My wife has had it too and she is getting vaccinated on January 6 (she volunteers at the group home where her mother who has dementia lives).

States definitely deserve their share of the blame, but our lack of a national strategy for dealing with this virus has been a joke. And it’s not surprising given that the guy at the top has been minimizing and denying since the very beginning.

And smh at everyone talking about not getting it. Many are the same fools that won’t wear masks or socially distance. The lack of trust in science in this country is going to be our downfall.

Right. And it will be. But when only 20 million are available and have to be risk stratified it has to be local. There are dramatic differences in health care systems. Prisma and SF have done it well and as quickly as possible. But they aren’t remotely similar. Nursing homes are and will be a cluster.
Believe me, I’m in the field and am pro vaccine. But outside of the active military there is and hasn’t ever been an efficient federal system of medical practice.
When the difficult risk stratification based vaccination is over central government can crank it out. Feds are good at that.
But then production of 600 million doses will be the issue so we will still have complaints.
Really folks, unless you are a front line health worker or live in a ltcf nobody on this board was going to get it anyway until Feb at the earliest. And then you have to be 75 or chronically ill.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
Right. And it will be. But when only 20 million are available and have to be risk stratified it has to be local. There are dramatic differences in health care systems. Prisma and SF have done it well and as quickly as possible. But they aren’t remotely similar. Nursing homes are and will be a cluster.
Believe me, I’m in the field and am pro vaccine. But outside of the active military there is and hasn’t ever been an efficient federal system of medical practice.
When the difficult risk stratification based vaccination is over central government can crank it out. Feds are good at that.
But then production of 600 million doses will be the issue so we will still have complaints.
Really folks, unless you are a front line health worker or live in a ltcf nobody on this board was going to get it anyway until Feb at the earliest. And then you have to be 75 or chronically ill.
Private non hospital affiliated doctors are being told to kick rocks in SC, its flipping criminal. Whereas my mother in New Orleans, who is 75 and healthy, will be getting her email to schedule her vaccine appt tomorrow.

Last edited:
I’ve had COVID and I’m still getting vaccinated. My wife has had it too and she is getting vaccinated on January 6 (she volunteers at the group home where her mother who has dementia lives).

States definitely deserve their share of the blame, but our lack of a national strategy for dealing with this virus has been a joke. And it’s not surprising given that the guy at the top has been minimizing and denying since the very beginning.

And smh at everyone talking about not getting it. Many are the same fools that won’t wear masks or socially distance. The lack of trust in science in this country is going to be our downfall.
I agree to a point, in fact the lack of trust in science is already caused a lot of what was America to fall. We live in a country that doesn’t even believe in the science of gender. Doesn’t believe in the science of human life in the uterus. We don’t believe in math either while we are at it.
We believe it’s ok that 55,000 people voted in a county where only 30,000 were registered. We are ok with the math on that.

The idea of America is gone. Not believing in the sciences is only speeding up the destruction of what’s left!

Reactions: Cutiger701308
Private non hospital affiliated doctors are being told to kick rocks in SC, its flipping criminal.
Right. The unintended result of the (relatively) new Hospitalist phenomenon. As a surgeon I used to somewhat know or know of every doctor in the metro. Not now. No FP or internist sets foot in hospitals in the upstate anymore. There are pluses and minuses. But clearly a minus would be not getting a vaccine as a legitimate front line worker.
Now most of the office based docs are employed by Prisma or SF and are getting vaccinated. But there are still plenty like the ones you refer to who are kicking rocks. I suspect those wheels will squeak and get greased but this was a fail.

not speaking for everyone but there are several people in the frontline healthcare profession that this has been earmarked for who are waiting to be sure their colleagues all don’t get super sick from the vaccine before they engage.

some of this may be that some people are resistant to getting the vaccine immediately.

we’ve had several people test positive shortly after getting the vaccine. (Not sure what to make of the result) but they are now quarantined for the next few weeks.

the other part to remember is you have to save at least 50% of all vaccines administered because there is a second booster that must be given 21 days from the first. And you’ve got to make sure you have stocks available to complete the inoculation.
I think this strategy is actually prudent and should have been part of the initial plan (maybe it was and I have overlooked it). There should have been a first wave of health care workers volunteer to be vaccinated and monitored for side effects. No sense in vaccinating an entire hospital staff all at once and having many of them incapacitated with side effects all at once).

The problem is you think all this is a federal responsibility when it's not. And that isn't because it shouldn't be, it's because it can't be. Not even our massive government can handle the kind of things that you're talking about. And in case you were missing it, states have dealt with massive levels of infections at different times at different rates. A one size fits all solution to that problem isn't going to help. It has to be at the state level supported by the federal government with resources and manpower provided where needed and that's exactly what's happened. But I know that's difficult for all the central planners out there if you think everything just needs to come from the hive mind. Then never works in reality.
Federal coordination does not mean you abdicate participation by the state and local governments and the private healthcare system and send the feds in to do everything. It means you utilize every state and local resource, factor them into your national strategy, identify the gaps and then develop a plan to fill those gaps. Are those gaps in equipment, trained personnel, distribution, etc.? They are probably different everywhere. When you identify the gaps and deficiencies at the state and local level the federal government needs to take action to address those. Maybe it is mobilization of federal agencies, the military, or maybe it is using the DPA to manufacture and provide equipment like freezers or supplies needed to produce and distribute a vaccine. Very little of that has taken place. That is what the federal government is for. It’s why we are the United States of America and not just individual nation states.

We have known for months that the the phase 3 testing trials would start to be wrapped up in November for some of these companies and in the months that follow for others. We have known the equipment needed to distribute. We have known how many shots would need to be delivered. There was adequate time to develop a national strategy to assist state and local resources to get the vaccine to people. A vaccine that sits in a freezer is useless.

State and local governments do not have the resources available to them that the federal government does. They could never in a million years tackle this on their own. We have had no national leadership in attacking this virus. None.

Reactions: PontificatingUnifex
Talk about incompetence

Warp Speed got us here

Slow Distribution sucks

The states are so incredibly incompetent?! Does POTUS have to do everything. Dammit people, get your crap together.

So I just read that we don’t need as many teachers? Teachers in vacation spots? It amazes me we have people in this country with this mentality. Teachers are raising your kids who you don’t give a fvck about. The ones you give a tablet to at home while you pick up your phone. Or throw them in their room on their gaming system. You high and mighty mother fvckers need to just keep your mouth shut instead of sharing your shitty takes on teachers.

Talk about incompetence

Warp Speed got us here

Slow Distribution sucks

I don’t think you should blame the Fed Gov. the issue, just like with most other issues like crime, is with the states and local gov. I know my PT, had knee replacement, told me yesterday that he was getting the vaccine next week. That’s in NC.

The complex qualification criteria is going to slow the process down. It’s just too slow and complex to say this group qualifies and this group doesn’t. The next phase has like 10 different groups that qualify based on their profession. The third phase literally puts lawyers and financial services as “essential “ services. What kind of joke is that. A 30 year old lawyer before a 64 year old. That’s just stupid. They need to just distribute based on age because it’s simple and it has been proven that death rates rise dramatically with age. It’s not going to be a perfect system but it will get people vaccinated quickly. Let all the pharmacies give the shots just like for the flu. Show your ID proving your age and boom shot in the arm.

Reactions: TigManinSC
What burns my ass is a flame three feet high or

Teachers doing remote teaching from vacation spots and threatening not to return to work

FIRE their butts and move on as the work product they are putting out now royally sucks
Based on my grandkids when they show me the teaching on Zoom

teachers are abusing the remote thing

so start the firings

This is quite the generalization. My wife is a teacher and has been working through dual learning (families have the option for in-person or online). It has been quite the adjustment and she has never had a year so difficult and stressful.

I’m sure there are a fair share of teachers that are “abusing” working from home (as is the case with any profession), but the vast majority of them are working their ASS off this year - all under increased stress and expectations from parents / grandparents that think like you.

Talk about incompetence

Warp Speed got us here

Slow Distribution sucks

What do you actually know about the distribution process? I’m not even sure what some of this post means.

I think some of the “slowness” of distribution is due to people just not wanting to be vaccinated. Some of it is due to bureaucratic barriers, for sure, but I know for a fact that most states have been really scrambling to make sure a lot of people get vaccinated quickly.

Reactions: Goodthinkful

Teachers doing remote teaching from vacation spots and threatening not to return to work

FIRE their butts and move on as the work product they are putting out now royally sucks

so start the firings

two can play that game.
Had my kids remoting in from places other than home. Highly doubt I’m the only one.
Situation sucks. Gotta make the best of it.

Reactions: cemtiger
Sheer incompetence depending on where you live. States that did their part and have a solid plan are moving along fairly efficiently. La, NJ where I have family are rolling. SC is a cluster of incompetence.
When you have Foghorn Leghorn as your Governor, what do you expect?

This is quite the generalization. My wife is a teacher and has been working through dual learning (families have the option for in-person or online). It has been quite the adjustment and she has never had a year so difficult and stressful.

I’m sure there are a fair share of teachers that are “abusing” working from home (as is the case with any profession), but the vast majority of them are working their ASS off this year - all under increased stress and expectations from parents / grandparents that think like you.
Amen!

Reactions: NorthATLtiger

I know multiple teachers and this year has just been brutal. Much respect for what they are going through.

Reactions: NorthATLtiger
This is going to be a big issue in the weeks ahead.

Every state is a little different but when you prioritize certain groups -- medical workers, seniors, etc -- it slows the process down. You are only giving shots to people who fit the criteria.

If your goal was to get it out as fast as possible you would just say we have 500 doses, sign up to be one of those 500. You would have people waiting in line to get the shot.
Eh. They have to prioritize. But they also need to be quicker about flexing into other groups.

Well.....AOC and her sorry 31 year old ass got her shot. While many senior citizens that want it will have to wait.

It’s because no one thought it was a good idea to uh....plan for distribution.

There needs to be a list of names ranked from most needed to not. Then have a large facility in place with staff to conduct the vaccinations. We don’t have any of that.
Not true. Every state had to have a distribution plan reviewed by the CDC well before a vaccine was even approved.

Honestly, it is because there has been ZERO national strategy at the federal/executive level to coordinate a response and fight this virus. Everything from the beginning has been pushed to the states who do not have the infrastructure and resources to handle what has become a disjointed pandemic response. The vaccine distribution is no different. All just to be able to allow the President to abdicate responsibility and point the finger at the governors if things went bad.

The pitiful testing strategy was first. It still stinks. The lack of PPE is another. It was left to the states and governors to bid against each other and drive up prices. The lack of national strategy to educate and coordinate a public response with masks, etc. and outfit businesses. The horrible PPP part of the CARES Act and fleecing of American taxpayers with a program where 90% of funding went to less than 10% of businesses. Businesses not even impacted being given millions while others fail and cant get funding. Failure to fund and prepare our schools for reopening and leaving it to the states and local school boards to do whatever they can however they want. Now you have the non existant vaccination efforts and preparedness to get the vaccine to people. Everything being done is falling to underfunded and unprepared local groups.

Warp speed is a joke. The effort and technology to develop these vaccines in record time has been in the works for over a dozen years. It has been a private sector effort. Sure, the President agreed to purchase vaccines in advance and in some cases give a grant for testing. But the technology was a private sector effort. Signing a check from the taxpayer is something anyone in America could have done.

Where has the leadership been in managing this pandemic response? The task force was disbanded because the president didnt want to talk about the virus anymore and he embarrassed himself talking about injecting bleach. He has been preaching that the virus was all going away after the election and it was all just a media hoax. Now we are almost 2 months after the election and 4,000 people a day are dying. Meanwhile he says and does nothing. He spends all of his time playing golf or propogating an election fraud hoax to sooth his ego.

We have 10s of millions of doses that can rescue our people, our hospitals, and our local economies sitting in freezers because there was no dedicated federally coordinated effort to distribute these privately developed vaccines. It is an abomination.
As Joe Biden might say, there’s a lot of malarkey here.

Gotcha. So why are states failing?
I think there’s been poor execution on the part of some states. I’ve been off work since pretty much the day they started vaccination in Illinois, so I’ve missed a few of the update calls with the Dept of Public Health, CDC, and other groups. There were a lot of planning calls before that, and the state seemed pretty confident about getting the doses out, even if they were apprehensive about people’s reluctance to get vaccinated and how the vaccines that needed ultra-cold storage could be stored safely.

I’m not looking forward to going back to work, but I’ll be interested to see what the state and the CDC have to say about why they haven’t been able to distribute the vaccine as efficiently as they through they would. My guess is they’ll partly blame the feds like they do with everything they screw up, but there will also be some combo of logistical issues, vaccine reluctance, and blame for local health departments (in Illinois, at least, the vaccines that weren’t going to hospital hubs or being distributed through the feds to LTCs were being distributed through local health departments- there was a lot of confusion among doctors not affiliated with hospitals about where to get vaccinated).

Last edited:

so start the firings
you no clue what you’re talking about dips

absolutely...same situation here...this has been a crap year for my wife as a teacher....stupid, ill informed generalization

furthermore, who gives a crap where a teacher or anyone else works remotely as long as they’re able to do their job??

Listen to this guy, not people with political or ideological bones to pick.

you no clue what you’re talking about dips

absolutely...same situation here...this has been a crap year for my wife as a teacher....stupid, ill informed generalization

furthermore, who gives a crap where a teacher or anyone else works remotely as long as they’re able to do their job??
I don’t think what @PalmettoTiger1 was talking about is generalizable to all teachers, but he was referring to a specific teacher who is a union leader, and who has been advocating against opening schools. Meanwhile, she apparently thought it was safe to travel to Puerto Rico, and thought it was wise to post a picture of herself sipping a drink on the beach. That makes it look less like she’s less concerned about safety than she is concerned about wanting to continue to work remotely. It’s just not a good look, even if there are some reasons to make distinctions between travel and working at a school.

Last edited:
The complex qualification criteria is going to slow the process down. It’s just too slow and complex to say this group qualifies and this group doesn’t. The next phase has like 10 different groups that qualify based on their profession. The third phase literally puts lawyers and financial services as “essential “ services. What kind of joke is that. A 30 year old lawyer before a 64 year old. That’s just stupid. They need to just distribute based on age because it’s simple and it has been proven that death rates rise dramatically with age. It’s not going to be a perfect system but it will get people vaccinated quickly. Let all the pharmacies give the shots just like for the flu. Show your ID proving your age and boom shot in the arm.
They’ll do that when there’s enough supply. One reason to vaccinate essential workers before the middle-aged people is that there are just less of those workers, and because those people are having to expose themselves more often than random middle-aged people.

I think this strategy is actually prudent and should have been part of the initial plan (maybe it was and I have overlooked it). There should have been a first wave of health care workers volunteer to be vaccinated and monitored for side effects. No sense in vaccinating an entire hospital staff all at once and having many of them incapacitated with side effects all at once).
There’s already been evaluation of side-effects, though. Those are known. And many hospitals actually did do vaccination in waves to avoid potentially having a bunch of people out at once.

Private non hospital affiliated doctors are being told to kick rocks in SC, its flipping criminal. Whereas my mother in New Orleans, who is 75 and healthy, will be getting her email to schedule her vaccine appt tomorrow.
In IL, those folks can get vaccinated through the local health department. Might want to check with them.

Reactions: PontificatingUnifex
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT