ADVERTISEMENT

Beaches dont agree...

Gotta love the pictures coming from Jacksonville Beach after re-opening.

Clearly a large number of people are not particularly concerned about social distancing and Covid-19. I'm not surprised. Plenty of people still smoke and drug addiction runs wild in many places.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pho...pened-florida-beaches-amid-coronavirus-2020-4

What was the photographer doing at the beach? Clearly he couldn't have been practicing social distancing if he was there.

Gotta love the pictures coming from Jacksonville Beach after re-opening.

Clearly a large number of people are not particularly concerned about social distancing and Covid-19. I'm not surprised. Plenty of people still smoke and drug addiction runs wild in many places.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pho...pened-florida-beaches-amid-coronavirus-2020-4

It seems like people are debunking that pic in this thread, but even if it was real, that would be their prerogative. There’s something called civil liberties, that apparently half this country has forgotten about.

As people have said in numerous threads. If you’re so terrified about COVID-19, now, more so than ever before, we have the technology and the infrastructure to allow you to completely isolate yourself. No one is saying you or anyone you love needs to leave the house. Get everything you want delivered. Bathe in Lysol, just don’t tell me what I have to do based on perceived fears.

We all accept and take on a multitude of risks every day. That’s life, and it’s time we got back to it.

Looks to me like this is the first step towards what these communities really want to do. Private beach communities on public land.
Can’t see it happening, the restaurants on iop and Sullivan’s would go under very quickly...iop already has a private beach.

Whether they do or don’t, I don’t see either becoming a private beach.

Neither do I, but I bet there is a large enough contingent of folks on both islands who aren’t crazy about the business districts on the islands that this doesn’t at least factor in.

It seems like people are debunking that pic in this thread, but even if it was real, that would be their prerogative. There’s something called civil liberties, that apparently half this country has forgotten about.

As people have said in numerous threads. If you’re so terrified about COVID-19, now, more so than ever before, we have the technology and the infrastructure to allow you to completely isolate yourself. No one is saying you or anyone you love needs to leave the house. Get everything you want delivered. Bathe in Lysol, just don’t tell me what I have to do based on perceived fears.

We all accept and take on a multitude of risks every day. That’s life, and it’s time we got back to it.
Amen

the irony is there is no scientific evidence showing lockdowns have helped. So far world data shows most countries following the same curve even with different preventative measures.

Can’t flatten a curve when 40% of people show no symptoms.

lockdowns were to keep hospitals from being over ran. That threat is gone now.

Reactions: cent and DaTater

If I light my house on fire, that’s my business. I don’t care that it just happens to be 10 feet from yours.

What makes you think the private citizens of IOP and Sullivans care about the local restaurants?
We live at IOP and definitely care about local restaurants. These restaurants are busy year round. Many of the owner/operators live on the islands. We eat out/take in at least 5 nights a week. Wife is done with cooking.

For so many, there seems no room for reasonable discussion. Wear a mask? “You can if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty! Quarantine? “You can hide in your basement and bathe in Lysol and have everything delivered to you if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty!”

I’m comfortable going out in a mask. I’m middle aged with no underlying health conditions that I know of, but my 73 year old mother with horrible asthma is not and for good reason. And despite your well thought out plan of having everything delivered to her front door step, you’ve forgotten the need for dental appointments, cataract surgeries, cancer screenings, heart check ups, possible flare ups of bronchitis. These have to be handled outside one’s house.

And how about the service workers, clerks, cashiers, and medical workers we all now consider essential. Can they stay home? Doesn’t someone need to sell you groceries and take your deposit and try to save you if you were to actually get Covid or have any other medical emergency? It seems some people will need to be out of the home against their will, despite how bad things may get. Why? Because society demands it (and needs it). They don’t get a say.

But I’m with you. The economy cannot shutdown forever. I also agree that there has to be a safe way to slowly start opening things now. I just don’t agree that this is all about me and “screw everyone else”. 40,000+ Americans have died in a little over a month despite the most drastic measures any of us have ever seen. I think it’s reasonable for us to all want to get back out there after so much confinement and forced economic pain, but can we give two shits about those around us in doing so? Please.

Be safe, all.

Lulz. That’s a hypothetical not even reasonable enough to be a considered a hot-take strawman defense.

Wow that’s bad.
You do understand what social distancing is about, correct?

Can’t see it happening, the restaurants on iop and Sullivan’s would go under very quickly...iop already has a private beach.
I don’t believe that beaches in the US can be private. Access to the beaches from land can be. No one can be stopped if the access by boat, but obviously not practical for most. I believe Kiawah has one access point owned by the state, which is probably why it isn’t mentioned.

For so many, there seems no room for reasonable discussion. Wear a mask? “You can if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty! Quarantine? “You can hide in your basement and bathe in Lysol and have everything delivered to you if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty!”

I’m comfortable going out in a mask. I’m middle aged with no underlying health conditions that I know of, but my 73 year old mother with horrible asthma is not and for good reason. And despite your well thought out plan of having everything delivered to her front door step, you’ve forgotten the need for dental appointments, cataract surgeries, cancer screenings, heart check ups, possible flare ups of bronchitis. These have to be handled outside one’s house.

And how about the service workers, clerks, cashiers, and medical workers we all now consider essential. Can they stay home? Doesn’t someone need to sell you groceries and take your deposit and try to save you if you were to actually get Covid or have any other medical emergency? It seems some people will need to be out of the home against their will, despite how bad things may get. Why? Because society demands it (and needs it). They don’t get a say.

But I’m with you. The economy cannot shutdown forever. I also agree that there has to be a safe way to slowly start opening things now. I just don’t agree that this is all about me and “screw everyone else”. 40,000+ Americans have died in a little over a month despite the most drastic measures any of us have ever seen. I think it’s reasonable for us to all want to get back out there after so much confinement and forced economic pain, but can we give two shits about those around us in doing so? Please.

Be safe, all.

No doubt. There's no silver bullet, but things have to start things back up.

Reactions: JJansenTiger

Be safe, all.

great post, post more.

yep. and if you are worried about getting hit by a drunk driver, DON'T DRIVE! If I want to down a case of tall cold ones and drive, that is my right.

If I want to light up my ciggie in a restaurant, don't complain to me about your kids sucking down my smoke. It's my right to do it.

Be safe, all.

Best post in this thread... And it's not even close...

the irony is there is no scientific evidence showing lockdowns have helped. So far world data shows most countries following the same curve even with different preventative measures.

Can’t flatten a curve when 40% of people show no symptoms.

lockdowns were to keep hospitals from being over ran. That threat is gone now.

The devotees of the Branch Covidian cult of expertise, and the tyrannical big govt power-grabbers may or may not have flattened the curve. But for sure they have flattened the economy. Which will kill people, too. h/t Britt Hume.

~ everyone will get exposed at some point. "Flattening" tactic was just a play for time and space, so the hospital and emergency services wouldn't be overrun in the initial surge. Also, as we gain time and space, mitigation of symptoms, understanding of the nature of transmission, infection rates etc. can become less speculative and more informed, vaccines and the like maybe come into view. But pretty much everyone will get exposed. Not if, but how, is the question.

Our leadership, and especially our citizenry, need balanced wisdom and good sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT